Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

F4? ISO12800+ and have 90% of the background in focus and distracting from the main subject? That wouldn't be the same image at ALL.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:46 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Ziffl3 wrote:
If you are shooting in AI servo mode ... the results are about what you should be getting. The AI servo is going to find focus and then try to anticipate which direction (towards or away) for the next shot. And your couple is essential not moving. Dancing in a semi-slow dance is not moving.

Why shoot at f1.8?
if you shot with expanded with f4 this would have been fine. And AF in one shot mode.

Again, your choices are giving you the results you are getting.

-Mark

This is where I was headed as well. Other than I don't think I would have gone to F4. I personally would have flipped my focus point to the couple, used single point focus and shot slower.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:47 PM
ferrerfoto
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

SGallant wrote:
Help me out Joey. So your focus point was far right, and you did a focus and recompose and then a burst?

Focus was left and slightly above center line. He said the focus was on her face for this sequence...

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:05 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

ferrerfoto wrote:
Focus was left and slightly above center line. He said the focus was on her face for this sequence...

ok I thought that bright red thing on the right was the focus point, was like damn that's crazy! haha thanks for clearing that up.

I stand by the rest of my statement. 8 frames in 2 seconds, in low light is asking for a lot of a camera focus system that is not using assist.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:08 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
If you want to come in this thread just to insult me, I'll make an honest-opinion statement about your work: I think you were losing your touch when you were working alongside Hoffer. Your stuff was better beforehand when it was less clouded by the other influences and you stuck to what you knew.

i'm flattered that you think i ever had touch! thanks!

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:17 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

why are you shooting this scene at AI servo? they are a relatively stationary subject. use one shot focus and every single shot you posted will be in focus.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:22 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I'm sending it in, I'm expecting them to repair something that doesn't solve the problem, charge me for it, then send it back saying it's fixed, so I shoot another wedding with it, find out it isn't any better, tell them, send it back, they tell me there's nothing wrong with it and send it back, etc. etc. for a few months until I get sick of Canon telling me it's fine and sell it.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:23 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Do you have the MA spot on?

MA errors can lead to tracking issues as well as simple back/front focus.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:23 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

canerino wrote:
why are you shooting this scene at AI servo? they are a relatively stationary subject. use one shot focus and every single shot you posted will be in focus.

Not with the 5d3 it won't, and here's why: By the time it finally achieves a focus lock, the kiss will be over. I know because I've tried it at a dozen weddings. I end up pushing the shutter button before it confirms lock sometimes just to HAVE a photo of the kiss at all.

With the 5d2, you're ABSOLUTELY right, it will lock and click within a second.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:29 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

SloPhoto wrote:
Do you have the MA spot on?

MA errors can lead to tracking issues as well as simple back/front focus.

MA is fine, the camera has no troubles in daylight at all. None. It works great and the outer points do generally track better in daylight than my 5d2s (for obvious reasons they should). However, as soon as it gets dark, the tables turn completely and the 5d2s - which unfortunately have the inferior high ISO noise - lock focus much faster and track better. I'm not kidding.

Some might say it takes a stupid AF tracking system to work well for me because I'm stupid, and that's why the "brilliant" AF system in the 5d3 fails me so often. Except, somehow it only ever fails me so often in dim lighting.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

joey, i've shot scenes exactly like the scene you've shot and have never had a problem getting a lock.

5D3, one shot focus, moving subjects:

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:32 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

5D3, one shot focus...all high ISO:

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:37 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

This whole set is 5D3 and very high ISO. All one shot focus, no AI servo: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1227152/0

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:39 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

And that's great for you. My 5d3 wouldn't lock accurately in any of those situations, guaranteed (though my 5d2s would). It's going to Canon Irvine as soon as I weigh the package and order a label.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 11:40 PM · View previous versions

Ziffl3
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Joey,
I was trying my mkIII in AI servo at iso 3200 with a 24L on @f1.8.
It would maybe hit on 4 out of 5 in a rapid fire.

In one shot, no hesitation to lock on - roughly 1/2 second.

Both cases I was using extended AF (4 points) and purposely shooting at very low contrast objects/subjects.

form
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

But the bottom line is, your results aren't the same as mine. I stopped trying extended AF points after my results I told you about earlier. FWIW, I do my best to give the camera HIGH contrast subjects.

1/2 second lock and click is basically unheard of for my 5d3 in a real-world situation (receptions). I'm REALLY lucky if it only takes one second to lock (which it basically never does in reception lighting), so I usually expect and get about 1.5-2 seconds for most targets. I've timed it (subjectively) multiple times with a digital timer when the camera is mounted to a tripod, and the results are a little faster than my results in real-world use, but the world isn't mounted on a tripod.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:41 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I post those photos because I wonder if you are really asking too much of your camera by using AI servo. I cant imagine ANY camera accurately tracking those situations for a succession of shots. Have you used one one shot focus in those situations?

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:45 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I don't/won't use AI servo in situations where I know my 5d2's won't even track something. In those situations if I want to use AI Servo I will literally use a flashlight/mount a light over myself on a light stand to throw a little light on the targets.

However, there have been multiple occasions when my 5d2s would not only lock, but successfully track (with some accuracy), dancing subjects.

The alternative problem I continue to explain is this: With the 5d2s, if I can't lock with AI servo then I can expect at least some pretty good locked photos with One-Shot. With the 5d3, I will get delay upon delay and a missed lock. It's as if it interprets the original focal distance from when I first pressed AF-ON as the goal point, not the currently-different focal point of the subject. The result of this problem is, I can't reliably use the 5d3 for receptions. I have benched it several times because of this.

Yes I use one-shot for those situations as necessary, quite often. I try it with the 5d3 and it just lets me down. The 5d2s at least lock and give me in focus shots a fair amount of the time.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:48 PM
vimish2651

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Call Toshio and talk to him first. He's the man and can help you. He picks up the hone, not some switchboard.

https://plus.google.com/114185147616364439035/about?gl=us&hl=en

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I called Toshio earlier, he said he can't work on 5d3s because Canon won't give him the software/tools/etc. and has declared a monopoly just like Nikon has on repairs. He also has never heard of the issue I am describing.

He said to me he will be going out of business fairly soon because he can't work on newer cameras due to exclusivity stuff from the manufacturers. He said it's a good thing he's close to retiring anyway, but he feels for the people who are younger and still in that line of business.

Apr 04, 2014 at 12:10 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password