Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I find the 5D3 vastly better for AF than the D800. The One Shot > SERVO toggle on the 5D3 (setting the front custom button) is the single coolest feature on the camera too.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:09 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I called that number, he can't do anything with 5d3s because they won't give him the software and he can't get the specialty tools to work on them.

With dancing subjects, the point falls somewhere on the face. I don't use the expanded features because they simply lock on the wrong target ALL the time.

After a talk with CPS, they said turn off the fine point and just use the 8% point and see what happens. I'm going to give it one more shot.

Nobody here or elsewhere mentioned the fine 3% point vs the 8% point. The manual doesn't say it will focus slower or affect low light performance. Now that I've changed the setting to 8%, it's not focusing any faster indoors right now on random static objects, but it's missing focus more often for sure.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:16 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I called that number, he can't do anything with 5d3s because they won't give him the software and he can't get the specialty tools to work on them.

Sounds like something Nikon would do. They shut off all the 3rd party repair shops by refusing to sell parts and refusing to get them updated info on new gear. Nikon now has a monopoly on repairs.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 07:54 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:

With dancing subjects, the point falls somewhere on the face. I don't use the expanded features because they simply lock on the wrong target ALL the time.

After a talk with CPS, they said turn off the fine point and just use the 8% point and see what happens. I'm going to give it one more shot.

Nobody here or elsewhere mentioned the fine 3% point vs the 8% point. The manual doesn't say it
...Show more

Are you talking about the spot AF and the smaller spot AF?

Shooting in low light is all about contrast on the object you desire to get in focus.
For reception at night, I am using the expanded points with flash assist.
I could use the single mode but why?
And AI servo on top of the AF setting.

You are setting your self up for the worst possible situation and you want the camera to be perfect.
If this is how you shoot.... then try a 1DX. The camera has a dedicated AF module.

Good luck.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:52 PM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I focus with focus assist in receptions. It's a must, for me.

Apr 03, 2014 at 08:06 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Form, I dont know how Ive missed this thread but Im right there with you. 5dIII kinda sucks for receptions. I swear it was better when I first bought it but now, it hunts, wont lock, etc. However, I find that when mine does finally lock, it has rarely missed. Ill have to try the 5DII next reception and see if it is better. It simply wont focus on a face/eye with AI servo in those kind of conditions.

Apr 03, 2014 at 08:56 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I am a nikon guy so probably wrong here. But doesn't ai servo shut off focus assist for Canon?

JakAHearts wrote:
Form, I dont know how Ive missed this thread but Im right there with you. 5dIII kinda sucks for receptions. I swear it was better when I first bought it but now, it hunts, wont lock, etc. However, I find that when mine does finally lock, it has rarely missed. Ill have to try the 5DII next reception and see if it is better. It simply wont focus on a face/eye with AI servo in those kind of conditions.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:14 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Yes it shuts off AF assist. Same for Nikon AFAIK.

I use the single AF point because the intended target (and focal point ON the target, e.g. eye instead of side of the head) often only takes up the space of a single AF point, and if I expand the points, then it will often lock on the wrong subject (background, foreground, other person, etc.).

8% is bigger than 5d2 focus point size, and 3% is smaller. Why couldn't they just make them...5d2 focus point size?

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:18 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Forgive me, I am pretty slow sometimes. I don't understand your complaint. I see you complaining about ultra low light situations where you are not using focus assist. Um use focus assist if you have to?

I now see you complaining about the size of a focus point and if you expand it, it picks up the wrong subject. Um don't expand it? I use single most of the time myself.

I kinda feel for you Joey, you have so many different camera bodies that have different ins and outs as to what works vs what doesn't that you are hurting yourself. I think I would drive myself nuts if I was in your situation, why I stick with one camera for the bulk of the day and prefer to master it.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:40 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Paralysis by analysis.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

#1. My three 5d2s, under the same low-light conditions as the 5d3, track pretty well, and better than the 5d3. When the 5d2s give up in AI-Servo, the 5d3 also won't have a chance of tracking either (just hunting without telling me it failed to focus), so I switch to one-shot mode (which turns on AF assist) and the 5d2s still lock pretty well on the moving subjects. If I try that with the 5d3 (switching to one-shot on moving subjects), it's pretty much guaranteed to miss 90% of the time.

In one-shot mode using AF assist, my 5d2s lock much faster than the 5d3 on ANY subject, moving or standing still. For an "upgrade," my disappointment in this kind of performance shouldn't need explaining.

#2. The 5d3 has the option of 3% focus point - which the CPS rep said will make focus tracking less reliable and the one-shot focus slower, etc. in low light, and so I am going to give the 8% coverage focus point a shot. I don't use expanded points for receptions because they just lock onto the wrong target too often.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:54 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
so I switch to one-shot mode (which turns on AF assist) and the 5d2s still lock pretty well on the moving subjects. If I try that with the 5d3 (switching to one-shot on moving subjects), it's pretty much guaranteed to miss 90% of the time.

You got an example of these misses?

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:57 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

canerino wrote:
Paralysis by analysis.

I can't ignore that, for some unexplainable reason, my 5d3 seems to miss focusing on subjects that my 5d2s nail during the exact same reception with the exact same lighting situation and lenses.

Call it paralysis if you want, but at this point I'm still trying to give the 5d3 the benefit of the doubt, not because my experience has been good, but because everyone else seems to have such incredible experience with it that completely contrasts with my own...that I keep thinking I must be at fault somehow.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:57 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

btw really dumb question, you do have focus assist turned on in camera right? I know in Nikon you can disable it in menus.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:01 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I think if you invested as much time into "photography" as you did on the wild goose chase you are on for the perfect piece of technical equipment, you might be happier. But hey, that's just my opinion that I've gathered over the years of watching you make countless threads about how cameras fail you and virtually no threads about photography itself. It's no wonder why you seem to hate what you do.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

ISO3200, 1/160, f/1.8, Sequence of 8 shots, I had just set it for AI servo recently and looked down for a second to review photos, then suddenly the bride and groom were kissing and I rushed to lock focus on them. It was set to one of the points a little to the left and above center for this particular set. I had no chance to make any adjustments because this kiss was very sudden (and lasted for about 2 seconds). I was having fairly good luck with the subjects who were previously in a better-lit spot only a few seconds before. Normally, with a 5d2, I would have gotten at least a few shots in focus (with the center point) - but this time, by the time AI servo had locked OK the moment was already gone.

The focus point overlay on the camera shows that the point used was right on her ear and eye for the nonmoving part, then it had edged toward her hair and then back to her ear at the end of the sequence.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:30 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

canerino wrote:
I think if you invested as much time into "photography" as you did on the wild goose chase you are on for the perfect piece of technical equipment, you might be happier. But hey, that's just my opinion that I've gathered over the years of watching you make countless threads about how cameras fail you and virtually no threads about photography itself. It's no wonder why you seem to hate what you do.

If you want to come in this thread just to insult me, I'll make an honest-opinion statement about your work: I think you were losing your touch when you were working alongside Hoffer. Your stuff was better beforehand when it was less clouded by the other influences and you stuck to what you knew.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:32 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

SGallant wrote:
btw really dumb question, you do have focus assist turned on in camera right? I know in Nikon you can disable it in menus.

Yes, it's turned on. However, I'm using 580EXs, not 600RTs - though they claimed that issue was resolved with the firmware update.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:33 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Help me out Joey. So your focus point was far right, and you did a focus and recompose and then a burst?

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

If you are shooting in AI servo mode ... the results are about what you should be getting. The AI servo is going to find focus and then try to anticipate which direction (towards or away) for the next shot. And your couple is essential not moving. Dancing in a semi-slow dance is not moving.

Why shoot at f1.8?
if you shot with expanded with f4 this would have been fine. And AF in one shot mode.

Again, your choices are giving you the results you are getting.

-Mark

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password