Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I've just about had it with the 5d3 to the point of selling it. Yes I am using firmware 1.2.3 version.

My 5d3 AI servo is terrible in low light (think ISO2000-3200 1/125 f/1.8 or dimmer). Center point or anything else. Terrible, it misses focus so many times with dancing subjects, laughing subjects, walking subjects, etc., it's not even funny. If I expand the AF points to lock on different targets, it ends up missing more. All of my 5d2s do a better job at this with the center point than my 5d3 with any point (including center).

5d3 obviously does just fine in good light, and in good light the outer points are an advantage. Yes I am using firmware 1.2.3 version.

D800's tracking system is, from my limited experience, smarter than 5d3 tracking.

My 5d3 One-Shot is terribly SLOW in low light with AF assist. Yes I am using firmware 1.2.3 version. I performed tests with a non-moving camera in my own house side by side with the 5d2, and the 5d3 beat the 5d2 more often than not for focus locking speed in One-Shot. However, in real world, the 5d3 takes twice as long (or longer) to lock in One-Shot when dealing with low light.

I'm not a still, nonmoving object like a tripod, and neither is the subject a still, nonmoving object. In real-world receptions, my 5d2s nail focus nearly instantly, my 5d3 takes seemingly forever and sometimes misses the shot anyway. It's like the difference between "ok it's dark, ZIP, lock dead on (5d2)" and "ok it's dark, start focusing, wait wait hang on, did I get it right? better go back a little, let me check again, okay just a little longer, I think I got it, okay lock confirmed probably (5d3)."

Does ANYBODY else besides me have these issues with the 5d3's AF compared to the 5d2? To-date I've only seen a few very limited comments talking about this particular focusing behavior of the 5d3 besides my own...none of them on this forum...

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:23 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I didn't have the 5d2, so I can't compare it to the 5d3. But I will say that I have none of the focusing issues you're speaking of. Any issues I have had have been user error.

Sounds like you have a lemon.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:32 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Sorry Joey. My 5d3 is the best camera for weddings I've ever used (5D, 5d2, 1ds2). Granted, I almost never use AI servo. But with one shot focus, if the shot is OOF, then I messed up.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:37 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

You mention the tracking system on the D800. So are you picking a point on the subject and looking for the camera to follow it and hold that spot in focus?

As for 5DIIIs I am a Nikon guy, but I work with Joosay a lot and I don't see him missing focus or complaining. Perhaps he can share what he does.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I am with lilyphoto... I do not have issue as you state.

But then again, I do not use AI servo for dancing, laughing subjects, etc.
I use AI servo in the ceremony or for bridal party entrance into reception.
AI servo works like a champ.

I think some of your use modes are un-realistic.
Dancing does not have the consistent motion - either toward you or away.
This would not be my first choice for AF.

The 5DmkIII does well in low light ... it is when it gets dark - ISO 5000-6000, 1/125, f1.4/f1.2 with no flash assist that it will struggle for fast AF.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:46 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I can pick a single point on the D800 and the smart tracking will just track the subject, pretty accurately, doing most things...

I guess I'm going to have to send my 5d3 in so they can charge me $250+ to repair some general thing that has nothing to do with my problem and doesn't fix it, or so they can tell me nothing is wrong with my camera. If they tell me nothing is wrong with my camera, then I'm going to sell it because this kind of performance is so far below my 5d2s for wedding receptions that it feels every bit like a downgrade during those times.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:48 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Ziffl3 wrote:
I am with lilyphoto... I do not have issue as you state.

But then again, I do not use AI servo for dancing, laughing subjects, etc.
I use AI servo in the ceremony or for bridal party entrance into reception.
AI servo works like a champ.

I think some of your use modes are un-realistic.
Dancing does not have the consistent motion - either toward you or away.
This would not be my first choice for AF.

The 5DmkIII does well in low light ... it is when it gets dark - ISO 5000-6000, 1/125, f1.4/f1.2 with no flash assist that it will struggle for fast
...Show more

I can't use 5d3 One Shot for moving subjects, it #1 takes forever to lock, #2 misses pretty much every time in those situations. It's the complete opposite of my 5d2s for One Shot mode. My 5d2s go "okay it's dark, ZIP, lock, click." My 5d3 goes..."working...wait I need to readjust...wait I need to readjust....wait wait...okay we'll see if this is right, lock, click, MISS."

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:51 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

When using center point, are you placing that point on a contrast area?

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:53 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I can pick a single point on the D800 and the smart tracking will just track the subject, pretty accurately, doing most things...

I guess I'm going to have to send my 5d3 in so they can charge me $250+ to repair some general thing that has nothing to do with my problem and doesn't fix it, or so they can tell me nothing is wrong with my camera. If they tell me nothing is wrong with my camera, then I'm going to sell it because this kind of performance is so far below my 5d2s for wedding receptions that it
...Show more

If you have no trust or faith in your equipment to work properly maybe you should just ditch it. I know tech specs and the newest gear make people feel all warm and fuzzy, but knowing and trusting your gear to perform is a lot more valuable than benchmarks and resolution tests.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

this is not directed towards you, but whenever someone bitches about their gear for whatever reason.. i remind them of the countless other photographers that are producing better work with older cameras such as the 5d2 or 5dc etc. it's just a reminder that your equipment is either defective and should be replaced asap, or it's just simply... you.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SGallant
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to send my 5d3 in so they can charge me $250+ to repair some general thing that has nothing to do with my problem and doesn't fix it, or so they can tell me nothing is wrong with my camera. If they tell me nothing is wrong with my camera, then I'm going to sell it because this kind of performance is so far below my 5d2s for wedding receptions that it
...Show more

I thought you were talking about 3D tracking. If I read your post right, you are kinda talking about 3 different focus modes all at once aren't you? I see 3D tracking, AI servo, and focus / recompose. And 3D tracking I don't believe can be compared to AI servo. Take a step back and evaluate the camera and work with it as is. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:10 PM
joosay
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Have you played around with the AF config tools? I normally choose case 1 or case 2. I have the DOF preview button set as AI servo for on the fly AI servo switch.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:17 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Joey,

I do like your bright clean image style.

Now as to your 5D II issues.....................this is simple.................the 5D III has a better focus system the the 5D II.

If your 5D III isn't performing the way you expect it should, send it in for a look see. Have you used the 5D III for over a year, past the warrantee period? Has it performed this way from right out of the box, or has something changed? Have you calibrated your lenses to the 5D III?

It's worth the cost to find out if it's you or the gear! Knowledge is power. If you really don't know what the problem is you can't fix it!

If you are convinced it's the camera why haven't you sent it in already?

If your convinced Canon will screw you over, maybe you should switch over to Nikon and see how you like there service.

Sam

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:26 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I think the OP may have a defective product. I have a close friend who had the same struggles with the 5D3, this was back when they first came out. So I assumed Canon fudged the AF system again. But since I've talked to many Canon shooters who swear by the new AF system. So I think there may be some defective models out there.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:52 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

If I thought the camera was defective instead of performing within normal spec, I would've sent it in already. It will cost money if they repair it, the warranty is long expired. There is no guarantee that sending it in will fix the problem. In fact, any time I've had a semi-anomalous problem with a piece of equipment, sending it in has rarely gotten it fixed.

It's been functioning the same since I bought it.

I don't use 3D tracking for 5d3, I use AI servo. I don't really use 3D tracking typically for the D800 either.

I place the AF point on the same kind of area (eyes, etc) that I would place the 5d2 AF point on and expect (and get) a fast, consistent lock.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:55 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Odd, I much prefered the 5dmkIII focusing over the 5dmkII, and found it just as good (or better) than my nikon. Then again I was using a 35G vs 35L. I also do not care about speed and trust my D3 bodies more than anything else out there.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:17 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Does your problem happen with both primes and zooms? Have you tried other lenses?

form wrote:
I guess I'm going to have to send my 5d3 in so they can charge me $250+ to repair some general thing that has nothing to do with my problem and doesn't fix it, or so they can tell me nothing is wrong with my camera.

Instead of using Canon for your repairs have you tried the renown Toshio? Lots of Canon shooters will only send repairs to him.

They say Toshio is the man Canon calls when they cannot fix the problem.
T.F. Camera Repair Service, LLC
27 Brunswick Woods Road
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
732-238-8806

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:25 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

35G is a slower focusing lens than 35L (and IMO less accurate a lot of the time). My 35L on 5d2 focuses faster than 35G on D800. That's a given and one of the main reasons why I never switched all the way to Nikon. 35 is a workhorse lens for me and I need quick, reliable focus on that lens.

The D800 is REALLY fast focusing with the 60 f/2.8g macro at portrait/longer distances, at least as fast as anything I've had with Canon. It's a shame Nikon can't do that with the fast primes.

I've never heard of that other repair person.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Just placing the AF point on the eyes while dancing on a 5DmkII is a little different that even the expanded on the 5dmkiii.
I would think you might have to drop down to the area (3x3 AF blocks)

Question: Are you using all cross points on the 5DmkIII?

Also: What setting are you using for AI servo?

Really sounds like you should send the camera in and have it checked out.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:33 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I've never heard of that other repair person.

He is well known among Canon shooters. I know a lot of Canon shooters stopped sending gear to Canon and now use him. Less expensive, you can talk to him but most importantly he really knows his stuff.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password