New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

My Canon LP-E4 power contact points appear to not be receiving/sending power to/from the charger & body.

How does one clean the metal contact points so it can power/charge again?

I know the battery cells inside are still good as I was able to charge the battery on the other battery slot of my charger and I was able to charge it on my friend's battery charger.

On both chargers the light was two solid green LEDs while the 3rd LED was blinking green. When I plug and unplug the battery again from the chargers all 3 green LEDs on all for battery slots do not light up anymore.

My friend's battery has no problem charging on all 4 battery slots and powers my 1D Mark IV just fine.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

The cells might be good but the chip might be bung.

An eraser is usually recommended as the first step in cleaning contacts.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:35 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

Something doesn't make sense here...

You say:

1. The "affected" battery charges fine on the "other" slot of your charger.
2. The "affected" battery charges fine on another charger
3. The "affected" battery shows 2 solid LEDs and one blinking (meaning its about 75% charged)
4. When you remove/reinsert the battery in the charger (both of them) no LEDs light up.

Statement #4 directly contradicts 1 and 2. If the behavior is "4" on both chargers then you were not able to successfully charge the battery to completion on any charger.

I doubt you have a cleaning issue... if you are sure its the battery, personally, I would throw it away and a) get an LP-E4N which is too expensive at $169 IMHO and not 100% chargeable on a 1D4 (LC-E4) charger -- it will only charge to about 90%.... or.... b) MY CHOICE-- get an Flashpoint aftermarket battery from Adorama for $30.

I normally do not advocate aftermarket batteries, but given the predicament Canon has put us in with these batteries; I am NOT buying a new $300 charger just so I can charge my new $169 battery nor am I willing to live with 90% charges from a $169 battery.

Anyways... I have several of these Flashpoint Adorama LP-E4 batteries and they all work just as good as the Canon offering. Adorama has a very liberal return policy should anything go wrong.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:18 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

To clarify, my battery charges on the first attempt on all 4 slots. It is on the succeeding attempts does it refuse to charge.

Before this the 1D4 was warning me that I need to condition the battery. I did so but it still states after I cycled it through battery conditioning that it still needs condition.

No hair product jokes. Pogi, I'm looking at you and your cadre of pijuns.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:56 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D battery doesn't charge/power

dolina wrote:
To clarify, my battery charges on the first attempt on all 4 slots. It is on the succeeding attempts does it refuse to charge.

Before this the 1D4 was warning me that I need to condition the battery. I did so but it still states after I cycled it through battery conditioning that it still needs condition.

No hair product jokes. Pogi, I'm looking at you and your cadre of pijuns.

With that further explanation, I would say your battery is definitely a paperweight.... If the contacts were dirty, the behavior would not be as consistent. If it ALWAYS charges on the 1st attempt, and ALWAYS fails when you unplug/replug, that is a pretty certain indication something has failed.

Check out an Adorama Flashpoint LP-E4 battery.... for $30 you can hardly go wrong..... Unless you want to buy a genuine LP-E4N and the charger to go with it....... Genuine LP-E4s are gone... trust me, I looked. People are selling used ones on eBay for close to $100.... one has to think why anyone would sell a used battery..... what? the camera died and the person downgraded, maybe? not!

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.