Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Just seen this on Sony Alpha Rumours:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-leading-the-sensor-tech-presents-new-curved-sensor-tech-likely-for-the-rx2-with-35mm-f1-8-lens/

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:36 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

A significant step forward, but the beginning of the end for the usefulness of legacy glass?

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:39 AM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Most of my day-job career was spent in semiconductor processing development, research and manufacturing. I can't fathom how in hell a curved sensor could possibly be manufactured successfully. This is a nice theoretical exercise, but I doubt we will ever see it happen.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 06:15 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:04 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

CalW wrote:
Most of my day-job career was spent in semiconductor processing development, research and manufacturing. I can't fathom how in hell a curved sensor could possibly be manufactured!!!

According to the patent, it will be manufactured as a flat sensor and then curved with force.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:12 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

CalW wrote:
Most of my day-job career was spent in semiconductor processing development, research and manufacturing. I can't fathom how in hell a curved sensor could possibly be manufactured!!! This is a nice theoretical exercise, but I doubt we will ever see it happen.

Never heard of 3D printing?

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:13 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

timballic wrote:
A significant step forward, but the beginning of the end for the usefulness of legacy glass?

Depends on other competing technologies, like organic sensors ?

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:15 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

I'm in the same boat as CalW, with 35+ years of semiconductor manufacturing. It's difficult to understand how a curved sensor could be manufactured in the fab.

However the Sony patent doesn't call for one to be made curved, it bends it by supporting the sensor at the edge and applying a force (vacuum on the back if I recall). The notes in SAR also say that this is a BSI sensor and that is an important distinction because BSI sensors have to be thinned a LOT, and as a result will likely be able to handle the curvature without cracking. I don't know of anyone that is yet making BSI at even APSC dimensions though, so if Sony are pushing FF then they have some serious technology lead aside from the pixel itself which we all love ...

Mike

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:19 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

eosfun wrote:
Never heard of 3D printing?

While there are a lot of things that can be done with 3D printing making a full semiconductor device isn't one of them.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:24 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

mcbroomf wrote:
While there are a lot of things that can be done with 3D printing making a full semiconductor device isn't one of them.

Nonsense, it is already being done.

While the 3D hype of the moment is mostly about printing objects with plastic filaments in the +/- 3 mm size there is already a lot of 3D printing production in other areas. Amongst them 3D printing at nano scale for layered semiconducters. Printing curved surfaces and apply photograhpic/lithographic layers may not be common practice yet, it's very doable and affordable technology already. And especially in smartphone production a daily application for several components already.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:47 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Back in the day when we were struggling to make large scale semiconductor integration viable, it wasn't the individual technology steps that were the issue - the issue was to put them all together in sequence and have an economically viable yield at the end of the line. Finally getting a working chip and then managing to bend the sucker to close tolerances boggles my mind. I suppose that a technology without dependency on a relatively thick silicon substrate would change things up, 'tho.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:57 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Was this posted on April 1st?

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:02 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Mike V wrote:
Was this posted on April 1st?

No, I wondered that before starting this thread, but it was April 3rd.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Not sure why this was posted to Sony Alpha Rumors now because those patents are from 2012 and 2013. Nikon has also multiple patents about curved sensors.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:21 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

eosfun wrote:
Nonsense, it is already being done.

While the 3D hype of the moment is mostly about printing objects with plastic filaments in the +/- 3 mm size there is already a lot of 3D printing production in other areas. Amongst them 3D printing at nano scale for layered semiconducters. Printing curved surfaces and apply photograhpic/lithographic layers may not be common practice yet, it's very doable and affordable technology already. And especially in smartphone production a daily application for several components already.

Very interesting, can you point to some links where semiconductor devices are made with 3D printing please?

Thanks!

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Here's hoping for a great RX2 - time will tell.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:56 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Sounds about right. New camera - F**k any firmware upgrade.

Apr 03, 2014 at 08:17 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Sorry folks!
Digging a bit deeper to the source of this rumour by Image sensor World, the date was indeed April 1st!
Certainly had Sony Rumours fooled!

Apr 03, 2014 at 08:23 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

timballic wrote:
Sorry folks!
Digging a bit deeper to the source of this rumour by Image sensor World, the date was indeed April 1st!

It's not. Here's a document describing Sony's presentation (PDF) and the patent here.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

timballic wrote:
Sorry folks!

No, SAR reported about this curved sensor patent already at Septemper 28, 2012:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-patent-shows-a-new-curved-sensor-technology/

Nikon pantented curved sensor couple of years earlier.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 10:17 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:00 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RX2 to have curved sensor?

Well the report at the link given to Image Sensor World IS dated April 1st...perhaps just a coincidence then!

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.