Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Dreamscape17

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I recently got a Sony A7r for 50% off from my friend who's a Sony employee! I've been interested in the camera since launch but the lens selection really put me off. I figured at this price heck, why not give it a shot at least? I primarily shoot landscapes with a D600 and I honestly have no complaints about the system. I've backpacked 30+ miles on trips with this camera the entire time. The weight and bulk of DSLRs don't really bother me, but the A7r is noticeably smaller than my D600 with battery grip. For me, the main upsides for the A7r are the lack of AA filter and megapixel count.

My first option is to adapt my Nikon lenses for now. I use my D600 with the 18-35 G (great lens!), 24-85 VR, and a 50 1.8. I use the 18-35 80% of the time due to how wide it is. I'm thinking with the A7r I can buy an adapter and just use my Nikon lenses, but I would really like to have functional AF at times for when I take pictures of friends and such. Also, has anyone used the Rokinon 14mm on the a7r? How does it perform?

The second option is to go all native with the FE system. My friend can get me 25% off all lenses and 40% off most accessories. I would likely get the 24-70 f4 but all the negative reviews are really off putting, especially for the kind of photos I produce. I used the FE 24-70 in the store and was surprised at how big the lens looked on the A7r. I'm sure I'd get used to it but lenses like the FE 70-200 f4 are going to look ridiculous.

The last option is to adapt A mount lenses. I could get the LA-EA4 and go with the 16-35 f2.8 but the light loss due to the mirror wouldn't help much for astrophotography purposes.

I would love to hear everyones story on which lenses they're using with the A7r, especially if you do landscapes. Ideally I'd like to go all native FE with the A7r, and use lenses like the Rokinon 14mm for specific things, but it's hard to tell which direction Sony is going. Will size be a priority at the detriment of IQ? When will there be native fast wide primes?

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:42 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Honestly, just start with the FE 55mm and take the easy path to exploiting what the A7R is all about.

Especially if you can get it with such a stout discount.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:46 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I just ordered a A7 and after a lot of thought, the lenses I ordered were a rokinon 14mm f2.8 and the rokinon 35mm f1.4. I'm a pretty good manual focuser though since I started on old manual film cameras at a young age.

I just can't find better deals for what you get in the price range.

Eventually I plan to get a zeiss 25mm f2 as well or maybe rokinon 24mm f1.4 depending on what my travel budget looks like.

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 07:50 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:49 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Can't lose with the FE 55 and the FE 35...the former is better, but the latter is no slouch either.

-Tim

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:50 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Fast glass is in the horizon but the Sony lens roadmap is less defined then say the Fuji lens roadmap. The issue with the Sony A7 series and future FF mirrorless, is no matter how much you shrink the body, physics dictates that the glass can only be so small. One of the reasons for making the 35mm a 2.8 was to keep size down, future fast glass is only going to be bigger. I can't imagine a future 2.8 zoom on a A7R glass. I would say for the time being try and adapt your Nikon glass to the body, with peaking using manual focus is easy to do. The thing about native AF glass is that while they're good, AF is not a strength of the system. Practice manual focus and you'll be surprised how quickly you can focus. A few of my friends say they prefer mF with the A7 because they can do a pretty good job of nailing focus as fast or faster than AF.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:51 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Also keep in mind with adapters, order a couple. There's quite a lot of sample variation out there.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:58 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I suspect you'd be happier applying the value of your discounted A7R towards a D800/E.

I suspect those happy with the A7 had a lens strategy in place before buying or placed a premium on certain attributes of the A7. Since you're happy with the D600, get the D800E. It is a great camera, much better than the D600 IMO.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:59 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I still have a few Nikon G lenses and the manual focus and aperture adjustment experience sucks. I basically stopped using them as I've got excellent MF lenses in equivalent focal lengths that are far preferable to use.

Apr 02, 2014 at 08:04 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

For landscapes I'm using adapted EF mount lenses (Zeiss 15/21 ZE, Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS). But the FE 35 and FE 55 are really great.

Here are some shots with the FE 35.

-Tim

Dreamscape17 wrote:
I recently got a Sony A7r for 50% off from my friend who's a Sony employee! I've been interested in the camera since launch but the lens selection really put me off. I figured at this price heck, why not give it a shot at least? I primarily shoot landscapes with a D600 and I honestly have no complaints about the system. I've backpacked 30+ miles on trips with this camera the entire time. The weight and bulk of DSLRs don't really bother me, but the A7r is noticeably smaller than my D600 with battery grip. For me, the main
...Show more

Apr 02, 2014 at 09:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Dreamscape17 wrote:
I recently got a Sony A7r for 50% off from my friend who's a Sony employee! I've been interested in the camera since launch but the lens selection really put me off. I figured at this price heck, why not give it a shot at least? I primarily shoot landscapes with a D600 and I honestly have no complaints about the system. I've backpacked 30+ miles on trips with this camera the entire time. The weight and bulk of DSLRs don't really bother me, but the A7r is noticeably smaller than my D600 with battery grip. For me, the main
...Show more

Well it seems to me that a mix of options may be your best bet for now. Getting an adapter and using your Nikon 18-35 is a good place to start. It should be even better on your A7r than on your D600. Using the adapter will be a bit of a pain, but you will get used to it before too long and not having AF for landscape shots on such a wide lens really isn't that big of a deal. Then for when you need AF I would get the Sony/Zeiss FE 55 f/1.8. A very very good lens by most accounts and it should serve your needs there well.

Beyond that I would wait a bit. One of the next 3 lenses Sony is going to make for FF e-mount is an ultra wide angle zoom. It will be jointly designed with Zeiss and most people seem to think it will be a 16-35mm f/4 lens. When that come out you can see if you prefer it to your Nikon 18-35. My guess is that it will be just as small and have similar IQ. If that is right you could add it to your kit and then you would have AF on your ultra-wide zoom as well. My guess is that Sony will not build any f/2.8 zooms or fast primes for the FF e-mount for a couple of years allowing that niche to be filled by A-mount lenses on an adapter, and they do have a very decent set of f/2.8 zooms and fast primes in A-mount. Instead, I expect them to build at first smaller somewhat slower lenses. They will soon have a set of 3 f/4 zooms and most people think they will have an 85mm f/1.8 lens soon as well (they have said they will build a fast aperture prime lens). My guess is that early on they will build a faster 35mm (probably a f/1.8) and they will build a truly small 50mm and 85mm. I think you can also expect a 24mm (probably an f/2.8) and probably a 135 f/2.8 and a 200 f/4. These are just my speculations, however. What Sony has promised is 15 total FF e-mount lenses by the end of 2015, but I would not be too surprised to see that timeline slip.

Apr 02, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think for now I may adapt my 18-35 G to my A7r and use that for a while. Which adapters are best out there? I know the cheaper ones have a lot of sample variation so I'm not afraid to spend a little bit of money. Are there any other issues with adapters that I should know about like ghosting or loss of functionality?

I REALLY hope Sony releases something wide (wider than 20mm) this year.

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:19 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Any reports on how the Contax g 28 gets along with a a7?

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:54 PM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I suggest looking at Metabones, they are the most 'reputable', but the prices are absolutely brutal, in my opinion. I suppose you pay for the peace of mind, mostly. Also, I've seen some with AF tho, so it might be worth it to check them out. I believe there's an specific 'product' you have to add to your cart in their website to get AF, but ask first.

Also, even if there's variation in some samples, it is most likely because lenses are not made the same across a span of time. I just highly doubt that suddenly a CNC machined piece might be made different from batch to batch, those things VERY rarely happen. I guess it is just something you'll have to accept if you buy some eBay adaptors.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:26 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

tsdevine wrote:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/11677670843_e9fd79b87b_b.jpg

-Tim

Love this one of the stream Tim

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:55 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

HauntedHat wrote:
I suggest looking at Metabones, they are the most 'reputable', but the prices are absolutely brutal, in my opinion. I suppose you pay for the peace of mind, mostly. Also, I've seen some with AF tho, so it might be worth it to check them out. I believe there's an specific 'product' you have to add to your cart in their website to get AF, but ask first.

I would say Novoflex is more 'reputable' than Metabones. Novoflex adapters are also more expensive. Metabones (or any other) don't make AF adapter for Nikon lenses that OP has.

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 10:15 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Dreamscape17 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think for now I may adapt my 18-35 G to my A7r and use that for a while. Which adapters are best out there? I know the cheaper ones have a lot of sample variation so I'm not afraid to spend a little bit of money. Are there any other issues with adapters that I should know about like ghosting or loss of functionality?

I REALLY hope Sony releases something wide (wider than 20mm) this year.

I do really recommend using Novoflex Nikon G to E adapter, it is expensive but it is really high quality product.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:14 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

I am doing mostly landscape photography, and I simply use my existing Canon L lenses with Metabones III adapter on the A7R. I highly doubt that my lenses can be beaten in quality by any of the Sony lenses - I am simply not interested in any of them. Your situation is different since you seem to get good discounts on Sony gear and you are just building up your lens gear.
In addition, I have a few older FD and M42 lenses - they take less space/weight to carry, and they perform well with the A7R.
In the long term, I might get 2-3 Leica lenses to reduce the size of my gear even more and get the best IQ, but not for now.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:19 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Hmm...the FE 55 might be hard to beat...

retrofocus wrote:
I am doing mostly landscape photography, and I simply use my existing Canon L lenses with Metabones III adapter on the A7R. I highly doubt that my lenses can be beaten in quality by any of the Sony lenses - I am simply not interested in any of them. Your situation is different since you seem to get good discounts on Sony gear and you are just building up your lens gear.
In addition, I have a few older FD and M42 lenses - they take less space/weight to carry, and they perform well with the A7R.
In the long term,
...Show more

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:25 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

Wow...I just read the photozone review of the FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS. Not looking good. IMO it is important the Sony follow thru with some good lenses, but this is not looking like good execution to me. That is one thing that Fuji does quite well.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:46 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just Got an A7r, help me figure out my lenses!

FlyPenFly wrote:
Any reports on how the Contax g 28 gets along with a a7?

Unfortunately, there's extreme color cast and smearing at longer focal distances, but Sebboh has used it to good effect for macro distance subjects.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.