New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon DPP to Lightroom 5

BigSky1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon DPP to Lightroom 5

I have some rudimentary post processing skills having tried to fiddle with DPP for the past year or so. I recently purchased Lightroom 5 based on many recommendations. I haven't even installed it yet. Before I make said leap, any precautions or things to look for before I do so? Right now all of my photo files are organized by date on my computer. As it stands EOS Utility downloads my photos and then I can immediately open them (both raw and jpeg) in DPP. Thanks in advance.

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:31 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon DPP to Lightroom 5

BigSky1 wrote:
I have some rudimentary post processing skills having tried to fiddle with DPP for the past year or so. I recently purchased Lightroom 5 based on many recommendations. I haven't even installed it yet. Before I make said leap, any precautions or things to look for before I do so? Right now all of my photo files are organized by date on my computer. As it stands EOS Utility downloads my photos and then I can immediately open them (both raw and jpeg) in DPP. Thanks in advance.

You can bring your images into Lightroom without moving them, just import them where they are.

Brian A

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon DPP to Lightroom 5

And never ever use DPP or other software to move the images after they are in Lr, or else Lr will lose track of them and the edits that you have applied. To minimise the difficulty of telling Lr where they live should you ever need to access a backup drive or whatever, it is best if all images on each drive live under a common parent folder. You can have subfolders under that one but don't use multiple top-level folders. Organise this before you import/Add the images into Lr and one day you'll be very glad that you did.

Unfortunately, DPP edit commands are stored in a section of the raw files that Lr will not read. You will have to start over from scratch in Lr.

Overall Lr is far more capable than DPP but the transition and transfer from DPP to Lr is not trivial if you have already invested a lot of edit time in DPP. Plus, you will need to retain DPP to see which focus sensors were used because Lr cannot find that info in the files.

The good news is that nothing stops you using both DPP and Lr for as long as necessary. Make a habit of editing all new images in Lr and gradually editing the older images in Lr too - and thereafter never edit those images in DPP. I advise that start with your better or more significant images so that you maximise the benefit that you get in as short a time as possible. It won't matter so much if you take longer to get around to editing the not-so-useful images in Lr.

- Alan

Apr 06, 2014 at 02:01 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon DPP to Lightroom 5

If you want to retain the edits for the DPP's images whilst cataloging in LR, then export them as TIF files from DPP and import those to LR alongside the RAW's. This is how folk deal with using more than one RAW converter in a LR-centric workflow.

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.