Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Peak Designs Capture Clip

lilshortwun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

Just throwing this out there for those of you who haven't heard of this system before.
I saw my friend use it one time a few years back and I ended up getting one myself. It's built very well and has never failed me or even close to failing for the few years I've had it and I use it hiking and other outdoor adventures a lot. So if you're tired of holding your camera on long adventures and dont necessarily want to put it away, this is a great way to capture any photo ops you dont want to miss. Check it out

https://peakdesignltd.com/

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Fred Amico
• •
p.1 #2 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

Interesting - haven't heard of this one before, so thanks for the link.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1KIND
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

I reviewed a bunch of their stuff

http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

I also have a 10% off coupon code on the site

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:47 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #4 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

lilshortwun wrote:
Just throwing this out there for those of you who haven't heard of this system before.
I saw my friend use it one time a few years back and I ended up getting one myself. It's built very well and has never failed me or even close to failing for the few years I've had it and I use it hiking and other outdoor adventures a lot. So if you're tired of holding your camera on long adventures and dont necessarily want to put it away, this is a great way to capture any photo ops you dont want to miss.
...Show more

Are you into to the whole system or just one of the clips? What style of camera have you been using with it. DSLR, Bridge, m4/3? It seems like hanging my gear from my pants could lead to a few embarrassing (or bare assing) moments.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

Mike1.6 wrote:
Are you into to the whole system or just one of the clips? What style of camera have you been using with it. DSLR, Bridge, m4/3? It seems like hanging my gear from my pants could lead to a few embarrassing (or bare assing) moments.

Yeah, you gotta choke yo' beer gut really well to keep a 1D series and 70-200 from droppin' yo' drawers!

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:41 AM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #6 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

Mike1.6 wrote:

I use it with a 5D3 and 24-70 II. It is a bit heavy but I have a separate belt such as the ThinkTank Pro Speed Belt. Its padded and offers more support than my leather pants belt. If I do have to use my pants belt, I use it with the ProPad which helps cushion and offers additional support. Well worth the investment.

You can also hang it from a shoulder strap if you have a backpack and do a lot of hiking. Have a GoPro? You can use the GoPro with the Capture as well. I'm working on my review for the POV Kit.

Apr 04, 2014 at 03:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

How sturdy are the Leash's clips? That plastic doesn't instill confidence - visually that is.

Apr 05, 2014 at 01:10 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

I've got one but it doesn't see much use, though I do like you can clip it on different straps around your body. I prefer the Cotton Carrier (chest or hip).

Apr 05, 2014 at 06:30 AM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #9 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

Paul Mo wrote:
How sturdy are the Leash's clips? That plastic doesn't instill confidence - visually that is.

Its very sturdy. I've used it to hold my 5D3 and 24-70II as well as a 70-200II with no problem.

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

this is what is referred to as an impulse buy kind of item. in the it "looked better then it performed" overall. relative short term high with a minor headache at the end. forgotten in a drawer or closet after the next neat impulse buy comes about.

I have learned restraint (well, for the most part)

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

I owned two of DualPlates a couple years back, hoping for universal use between a RC2 and Arca and the Capture Clip. The main problem was the plate twisted on my cameras and I could never get them tight enough to use the drop slot. The RC2 compatibility was poor as the plate was too small and slid sideways in the clamp. The arca implementation was the best but still iffy: the plate only penetrated a millimeter or so into my Sunwayfofo and RRS clamps and didn't look very secure...

Apr 05, 2014 at 05:31 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #12 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

sjms wrote:
this is what is referred to as an impulse buy kind of item. in the it "looked better then it performed" overall. relative short term high with a minor headache at the end. forgotten in a drawer or closet after the next neat impulse buy comes about.

I have learned restraint (well, for the most part)

As with any purchase, it is a question of matching the inherent utility with your personal requirements. The capture system has worked perfectly for me as a quick-access solution (attached to the shoulder strap of my daypack, not my belt) when hiking. I would say it performed more or less exactly like it looked.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

tell me that in a year or two

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:33 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #14 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

sjms wrote:
tell me that in a year or two

Well, I've already owned and used one for that long, but I will be happy to tell you how the system continues to meet my personal requirements in another year or two.

My point was that different people have different needs. The fact that it did not work well for you does not imply it is an "impulse buy kind of item" for photographers in general.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

well, I'll stand by my opinion as you will with yours. i have seen this sort of item come and go multiple times in the past 30+ years.

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:22 PM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #16 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

sjms wrote:
well, I'll stand by my opinion as you will with yours. i have seen this sort of item come and go multiple times in the past 30+ years.

For example?

I'd say this is a no-contest best value photographic accessory that I've ever bought. Of course I'm using it on a backpack shoulder strap with an EM5 plus no lens bigger than a Panasonic 100-300. If I was to criticise the device I'd say that the QR plate/receiver is sometimes a little prone to jam. But there's not much to go wrong with it so the suggestion that its life expectancy is short puzzles me. As I use it it's absolutely brilliant.

Now hanging an FF DSLR with a 2.8 70-200 on board off a CC is something else. I used a Cotton Carrier harness when it first came out (before I'd wised up and moved over to M4/3 in the main) but it's an absurdly geeky (and sweaty) rig unless you're a working snapper lugging a couple of bodies around. Even then a lens the size of a 70-200 torques the whole rig so much that the lens bashes into you with every step.

The most effective solution to the problem of hauling photographic gear around is to haul lighter gear. The Capture Clip runs a close second.
Roy

Apr 13, 2014 at 03:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

enjoy while you use it.

Apr 13, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #18 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

The spiderholster.com system is vastly superior to this. I picked this up just to try, but quickly went back to the spider holster.

THE KEY difference imo. One hand operation (without looking) is simple with the spider, and pretty much out of the question with the peak Thats a deal breaker if you are on the go. The spider is also more comfortable to wear for an extended period and/or with a larger kit hanging...i have d3s + 70-200 there often.....and for long periods. That hurt with the peak.

Added benefit to the spider....use the pin on a PCB mini lithium battery and your assist can carry it securely hands free too

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:39 AM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #19 · Peak Designs Capture Clip

hehehe just bought another spider...thanks for the reminder

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password