Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

#599 refraction on paper

grey goat

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · #599 refraction on paper

My first Weekly Assignment entry. . . .

The refraction of light through a whisky glass onto speckled paper. . . . (I made the image early afternoon today, so the "whisky" was coffee diluted with water.)

refraction on paper

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:30 AM
James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · #599 refraction on paper

Nath, I'm listening to "Prairie Gold" as I type this. Welcome to the Weekly Assignment. I really like your abstract entry - good luck.

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:04 PM
grey goat

p.1 #3 · #599 refraction on paper

Thanks, James! It feels really good to get involved with the forum.

I hope you liked "Prairie Gold"; my recent songs are a bit different--but I haven't got round to recording them yet.

Glad you like the refraction image. As for luck . . . after seeing your entry and the others, I think I'll need it!

Apr 02, 2014 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mihunter62

p.1 #4 · #599 refraction on paper

Really like the abstract look, would have had no idea how you took the pic if you hadn't explained. Good Luck on your first entry.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:34 PM
grey goat

p.1 #5 · #599 refraction on paper

Thanks, mihunter62!

For this image I set a whisky glass partially filled with diluted coffee on or near the edge of a piece of speckled paper laid flat on a table and turned out the overhead light (though there was still natural light coming in through windows). I had a Pentax M 50/1.4 with a small extension tube mounted on my K-5 with the aperture set to either f/4 or f/5.6 (the K-5 doesn't record such things with anything older than A-series lenses).

I handheld the K-5 in my right hand, and in my left I had a mini Maglite pointed down at about a 60 degree angle through the glass. I moved it around until I got an pattern that really struck me, focused on the speckles in the paper inside the middle fluted portion of the refraction, and got a few exposures. This is the one I liked the best, and it's full-frame. I adjusted the color balance, contrast, and other parameters in Lightroom to get this image.

It sure was fun creating this one; I'm glad you like it!

Nath

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:08 PM
mihunter62

p.1 #6 · #599 refraction on paper

Nath,
Thanks for the explanation, this really helps me think of other applications of the same idea.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password