Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Glad you did it?

Would you do it again?

Pros and cons?

Thanks....

Iron sharpens iron

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Ask the same question for Canon users who converted or bought in addition the A7R, and you will find many. The only advantage for D800E users to get the A7R is either that they can use it additionally with other MF lenses and for the smaller and lighter (travel) size of the camera body.

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Haven't converted, just added A7R for hiking.

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

retrofocus wrote:
The only advantage for D800E users to get the A7R is either that they can use it additionally with other MF lenses and for the smaller and lighter (travel) size of the camera body.

Much better liveview, evf and tilting screen are the biggest advantages for me in A7/A7r compared to Nikon DSLRs. If I would shoot anything moving I would not switch from D800 to A7r but for landscapes I prefer the Sony.

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Paul Gardner wrote:
Haven't converted, just added A7R for hiking.

Care to expound with some pros and cons.....

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:12 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Me. Basically the same reasons as Sami, plus size for me was an important factor. I take a two lens A7r kit around everywhere, even now some four + months in, something I tried to do with the D800 but was unsuccessful in making that work past the first three month honeymoon period. I also was not looking forward to taking the D800 and selection of lenses with me for travel.

Being able to use my Contax (and to lesser degree Nikon AiS) glass again was a bonus but find myself using the native FE35 and FE55 more often.

The D800 was the first optical finder camera I'd used since going digital and it was a bit of an adjustment going back to optical... but not that hard. I really hate the D800 live view though. For what I do I prefer EVF most of the time. For the rest of the time I'm going to use an older DSLR kicking about here and call it a day.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:08 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

thanks for the info...

Apr 02, 2014 at 02:28 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

I went from a D800 to an A7R. I suppose I technically have not converted since I have yet to sell my D800, but the A7R performed well on its first serious trip into the field, so the Nikon will be going up for sale shortly.

I shoot mostly landscapes, so my view of the pros and cons is skewed in that direction.

Pros:

1. EVF: It's great to be able to magnify and see peaking right in the viewfinder
  2. Live View is better than the D800
  3. Size and weight make it easier to travel/hike/backpack (when a native ultrawide becomes available, I expect the overall system size/weight savings will become even more significant)
  4. Ability to adapt so many types of lenses
  5. Tilting LCD

Cons:

1. EVF: While I appreciate the benefits of an EVF that I listed above, I had expected the EVF quality to be higher. It was a surprise to discover it was inferior to the EVF on my E-M1 by a noticeable margin.
  2. No dual card slots (complicates my in-the-field backup strategy)
  3. No option for lossless compression of raw files (though I have yet to encounter an image that I can say was adversely affected by the compression)
  4. Image magnification for review is slow and clunky compared to the D800
  5. Shutter shock...while the effect is not huge with my favored focal lengths, it is there.

As for the question about whether I would choose to convert again, the answer is yes. The A7R could be a lot better than it is, but I still appreciate what it has to offer vs. the D800.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

I've been thinking about it, and with a D300 replacement in the "more likely" category I may get that for wildlife and the A7R for landscape/travel (Canon 17 T/S *drool*) and the new-to-me Zeiss 100mm MP, which will be much easier to focus on the A7R than the D800.

But it's all speculation at this point, hard to decide!

Is the DR comparable at base ISO to the D800? It's pretty darn impressive what you can lift in the shadows.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:38 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

m.sommers00 wrote:
Is the DR comparable at base ISO to the D800? It's pretty darn impressive what you can lift in the shadows.

Yes. The a7r files respond in a very similar fashion to D800 files when pushing shadows or just shooting high dynamic range scenes in general.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:57 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

i moved from a D800e to the A7r. Mostly pleased with the decision and would do it again. For my uses (landscapes and family/travel pictures), the A7r has been great.

Light weight
Ability of use a bunch of alt and manual focus lenses (love the focus peaking)
Ability to use my dream lenses (Canon 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E and 135 f/2)
Comparable DR (which is to say excellent) to D800e
The tilting and much more usable EVF. LV on the D800e is a bit of a joke for any serious shooting.

Also I was never happy with the colors from the D800e. Had to really futz with them in post to bring the colors to my liking. Some of it is subjective I suppose but I find the Sony colors out of the box to be very pleasing, especially skin tones.

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:01 AM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

So those are the pros of the A7R. Have there been any problems/issues that are common among Sony owners?

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

What lenses are everyone using on their A7r? I'm thinking of moving from the D600.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:23 AM
masberg224

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

does anyone have issues of color change after they take a picture?
Right after i take a picture when i look at the screen the color changes slightly, does anyone know why?

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:09 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any D800e to A7r converts over here?

Dreamscape17 wrote:
What lenses are everyone using on their A7r? I'm thinking of moving from the D600.

My landscape-oriented setup on my last trip was:

Zeiss ZF 21/2.8
FE 35/2.8
FE 55/1.8
Contax G 90/2.8

This worked quite well and was a great high qualty, low size/weight setup (aside from the Zeiss 21 of course).

To answer your question more generally, people are using all kinds of lenses. Go check out the images thread and you will see probably a hundred different lenses represented.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password