Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Personally I don't shoot a ton when I am out. Im heading on a week long trip next week and doubt I will shoot 2K shots, and this is shooting from sunrise to sunrise (SW trip). I even used to bracket, but now have a D600, so shooting might be less. Last year I took less than 3K shots, and went on four 4 day trips

Apr 08, 2014 at 06:01 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #2 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Whenever I read stats like this, I wonder how can you guys possibly process that many images? I realize that 99% will be thrown away, but still it takes a lot of time just to find the 1% you really like. You guys are far more heavy on the shutter release than I am. Think more, shoot less.

Bernie wrote:
The whole idea of a "keeper rate" is totally ridiculous. If you're not experimenting (ie making mistakes, trying new things), you're not growing as a photographer.

Fair enough, but as the number of "experiments" rises into the many hundreds, it starts to look less like an education and more like "spray and pray".

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Here's a recent thread on BIF keeper rates,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1279955

For BIF, my keeper rate is usually about 1 in 25; meaning the composition, lighting, focus, and overall image impression is totally acceptable. My keeper rate for really, really good shots that will likely sell to somebody is about 1 in 150.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:32 PM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.2 #4 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

During my youth and young adulthood, I was always a low-volume shooter due to not having a lot of discretionary funds. Back in the film days, I had decent equipment but spent very little on film and processing. I was thinking that during my once or twice-a-year trips to Yosemite (a 6 to 7 hour one-way trip at that time), I would shoot maybe 3 or 4 36-exposure rolls total.

In 2004, when I resumed my photography hobby, I had far more discretionary funds and have been able to invest in very good equipment. However, I was still a low-volume shooter, still coming from the older mentality of shooting sparingly, despite each shot now being essentially “free”. Furthermore, I began trying to pause consciously and compose my shots, and not just shoot indiscriminately, which limited large volumes of images. However, as I am trying to learn to blend images either manually or via automated software, I am now bracketing more, which adds substantially to my number of images. Still, I estimate that my Canon 5D2 only has 8,000 images total since I purchased it new. What also limits my camera actuations is that I shoot only landscapes and not just anywhere. I typically do most of my shooting on my vacations or one-day treks out somewhere. By the way, we are going up to the Olympic National Park area soon, and if I can bring home 600 images, that would be a record.

Being a better photographer is important, but I also have other interests, hobbies, and responsibilities.

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:25 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

I shoot enough to pay for my gear and to keep me in gas/beer money.
Grade away...

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.2 #6 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

trenchmonkey wrote:
I shoot enough to pay for my gear and to keep me in gas/beer money.
Grade away...

First I'd have to know where most of the money goes, gear or beer...

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

the gear's pretty much paid for...

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM
krementz
• • •
p.2 #8 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

As others said, number of clicks is a meaningless data point. Studio still lifes and product shots may be just a few per day, with many hours of PP. I have a professional landscape photographer friend who shoots 2-5000 clicks per month, and is happy if he gets one keeper. I 've done sports with thousands of clicks, and landscapes with hours of setup and waiting, and just a few clicks.

In short, ignore your click rate.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:11 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.2 #9 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Clicks don't define a photographer! Would you say that Sally Mann is not a professional? She shoots large format, maybe 2 images of a setup.. She is exhibited in galleries, worldwide.
McDonalds sells "Billions served", doesn't make it fine dining!

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Patman99

p.2 #10 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Here's a fun thing to do: Go back and look at the shots you were taking in 2011, and compare them to the shots you now take. Do you find yourself wincing at the photos from 2011? I do. I ask myself "what was I doing back then?" I know the answer, as I got more serious with lighting in middle of 2012, and now I shoot very differently in terms of lighting my photos. I also know a whole lot more about post-processing in Lightroom, so I can get my photos done in 2x-4x faster than in 2011. I mainly shoot cosplay at conventions, and some local modeling type of events, so mainly portrait work. Due to the way I shoot now, I also take less shots now than I did in 2011.

So, I feel I'm making better use of my time on photos in general today, and now my challenge is to make photos, not simply take them, when the opportunity presents itself. Slow down, don't shoot and pray. Know how to take the photo so that you know what you can get from the shot in Lightroom later. I'm not much into photoshop at the moment, just ain't got the time to labor hours on end for a handful of shots, so I do 99% of my post-processing in Lightroom nowadays.

So for me, it's all about the efficiency in workflow, and trying to make memorable photos when possible.

Apr 13, 2014 at 02:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Patman99 wrote:
Here's a fun thing to do: Go back and look at the shots you were taking in 2011, and compare them to the shots you now take. Do you find yourself wincing at the photos from 2011? I do. I ask myself "what was I doing back then?"

I suppose that depends on where you are on a photography curve. I peaked around 5-10 years ago.

EBH

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:32 AM
restinginlove

p.2 #12 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

I've had my rebel xti since 2008 and granted, I have been busy with school the last three years or so, but my shutter is under 9k. I deleted most of the photos off my flickr recently - all the candid portraits of friends that I thought were good or "artsy" back when I was 18-20 were TERRIBLE in hindsight, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way about what I'm shooting now as I branch out from AV and TV mode to fully manual. But as people have mentioned, shutter count doesn't have much to do with anything. Mine isn't low (given the age of camera) because I make sure to frame every shot well, nor do I mindlessly just hit the shutter and hope for the best. I'm definitely a beginner hobbyist - that shows in the quality of my images more than anything.

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:51 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #13 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Patman99 wrote:
Here's a fun thing to do: Go back and look at the shots you were taking in 2011, and compare them to the shots you now take. Do you find yourself wincing at the photos from 2011? I do. I ask myself "what was I doing back then?"

Well, I think you are assuming a bit too much. In addition to what EB-1 nicely pointed out, there are also other variables to seeing a reverse in what you describe...a lapse in picking up the camera and making any photos since 2011 for whatever reason (illness, injury, military, job requirements, LIFE, change in interest, etc., etc.) could make one say "Wow, I made great images back in 2011, now I suck."

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

I think I get better every year, or my eyesight worsens commensurate with the march of time.
Next it'll be the memory...man, I used to be great.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #15 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

I have three main hobbies. Wildlife photography, golf and fishing. I will not " work" at anyone of them. I've been fishing and golfing for a pretty long time. My attitude is that.... If after doing something for a reasonably long you should be able to produce some respectable results. ie breaking 90 or catching some trophy fish. If not quit. As far as photography is concerned.... I go out to track down the wildlife as if I were hunting, get the best possible shot my equipment can produce. Do a good job on pp, and have fun!!!!!

Al

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.2 #16 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

EB-1 wrote:
I suppose that depends on where you are on a photography curve. I peaked around 5-10 years ago.

The quality of my photography results seems to wax and wane based on all sorts of factors, not least of which is inspiration. If I am documenting a specific subject I'm interested in or for a job requiring specific results I'll tend to produce better images. Likewise, if I live in a visually inspiring place I'll tend to produce better photographs... which is depressing now I live in one of the more visually uninspiring cities I've experienced (Los Angeles... YMMV)

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

EB-1 wrote:

pipspeak wrote:
The quality of my photography results seems to wax and wane based on all sorts of factors, not least of which is inspiration. If I am documenting a specific subject I'm interested in or for a job requiring specific results I'll tend to produce better images. Likewise, if I live in a visually inspiring place I'll tend to produce better photographs... which is depressing now I live in one of the more visually uninspiring cities I've experienced (Los Angeles... YMMV)

Everything I shoot is 2,000 to 10,000 miles away from home.

EBH

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM
werds

p.2 #18 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Bernie wrote:
Photography is not golf where you count your strokes.

The whole idea of a "keeper rate" is totally ridiculous. If you're not experimenting (ie making mistakes, trying new things), you're not growing as a photographer.

Since we all grow at different rates, to compare your "score" is counterproductive.

I have to agree. I am a pure hobbyist. I purchased my gear to document moments in my family's life, fill an itch for tech, and to enjoy myself in the process. I in any one given event am liable to pop off 1k shots or more. Lord forbid if I am in spray and pray mode! I am learning on the fly with only what I read on forums and websites for guidance. I KNOW that the amount of shots I take is ridiculously high and I am dead certain that in the past 3 months I have probably put close to 10k or more actuations on my shutter count.

That said the more I shoot the more I see, the more I can critique in various manners. I do on occasion catch myself actively shooting less shots now just because I have a slightly better understanding of what I am aiming to do and why. Could never have gotten there without heeding the advice of "Just go out there and shoot till the sun goes down... then light it up and shoot some more!" (PS I did not get that quote from an photography forum... it was actually from an old cannon cocker I met while in the service... I thought it applied similarly here).

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM
badtzsan

p.2 #19 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

Practice does make perfect although sometimes it can't be measured by the amount of clicks. Also, an understanding of your camera helps too..You can put 10k counts but if you don't understand how everything works, it's pointless

Apr 27, 2014 at 08:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · What "grade" or type of photographer are you ?

trenchmonkey wrote:
I think I get better every year, or my eyesight worsens commensurate with the march of time.
Next it'll be the memory...man, I used to be great.

The older I get, the better I was.*

*quotation from a surfer dude T-shirt I bought in Monterey.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:48 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password