Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Eight shots from my daughter's Volley Jam tournament this weekend, with a bit of a twist. We had to pick up three younger players for this tournament due to injuries, spring break travel, etc., one of whom just happened to have a massive vertical. Here is my tribute to her. Hopefully no one will notice that every second shot is a spike, but it's not everyday that I get to shoot players who appear way over the net..

C&C always appreciated.

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

Edited on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

more

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

© lhryshko 2014

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Very nice work and love the angle. I think 1 and 2 are my favorites.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:03 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Thanks for your comments Jeff. Much appreciated.

I agree with you on the angle. For many of these, I was shooting from three stories above the court.

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:50 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Larry....I'm with Jeff on the angle. #1 and #2 for me as well and I also like #4 that she's laying out for that. #7 is also a fav for me....I like the focus and concentration in her eyes. I think a little more net in that one would add a bit more detail...but I still like it.

Frank

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Nice work, Larry! I'm with Jeff and Frank on the angle. Really maximizes the sense of isolation. Love the concentration captured in 1, 5 and 7.

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:29 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Really interesting set, Larry. Not often someone is able to provide a relatively fresh look vs. the usual angles. The isolation and clean backgrounds are crazy good.

I'm going to have to come back to these a few times to see what I really think about how low the net is on some of these. I like what is happening on the hitter, but the antenna coming out of the floor really throws me.

One thing you need to keep an eye on is your WB. It's all over the place... #2 is the farthest off, which is a shame because I really like the composition (and timing) on that one.

Cheers!
Jay

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:39 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Frank Lauri wrote:
Larry....I'm with Jeff on the angle. #1 and #2 for me as well and I also like #4 that she's laying out for that. #7 is also a fav for me....I like the focus and concentration in her eyes. I think a little more net in that one would add a bit more detail...but I still like it.

Frank

Thank you very much Frank. She was a lot of fun to shoot and really dominated the game. I know the angle makes her look deceptively high, but she routinely hit over blocks and hard. It made me sad to admit that a 14 year old girl could spike harder than I ever did.

I agree that #7 needs more net but there is already a secretly hidden crop splinter on the bottom. I'm giving you all I have on that one.

Thanks again for your detailed response!

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:42 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Russ Isabella wrote:
Nice work, Larry! I'm with Jeff and Frank on the angle. Really maximizes the sense of isolation. Love the concentration captured in 1, 5 and 7.

Thank you very much for your kind words, Russ. I felt really good after this tournament as I covered every single player on our team with relative ease. The 1Dx is crazy good and has dramatically improved my success rate, even though I truly just turn it on and wing it.

It was scary shooting from up so high, particularly with all of the safety concerns that have been drilled into my head on these very boards. A bit unnerving.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:53 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

rolette wrote:
Really interesting set, Larry. Not often someone is able to provide a relatively fresh look vs. the usual angles. The isolation and clean backgrounds are crazy good.

I'm going to have to come back to these a few times to see what I really think about how low the net is on some of these. I like what is happening on the hitter, but the antenna coming out of the floor really throws me.

One thing you need to keep an eye on is your WB. It's all over the place... #2 is the farthest off, which is a shame because I
...Show more

Jay, I nearly added some pre-emptive, defensive comments on why my WB sucked, particularly since this was your exact comment last time (indicating that I learned nothing, for which I am ashamed).

So here goes, after the fact:

1) I suck at post-processing.
2) cycling lights, two different gyms
3) see 1

I know I need to learn this as I have received this comment at least a dozen times over the years. But the time/money/other priorities thing always wins out. I can't see this changing anytime soon. Sorry, sincerely.

Thanks for your comments and I greatly appreciate your insight. I'll throw up a few more later tonight. The perspective definitely looks more natural for other hitters with more conventional verticals (and no antenna).

Best wishes,

Larry

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:17 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

lhryshko wrote:
Jay, I nearly added some pre-emptive, defensive comments on why my WB sucked, particularly since this was your exact comment last time (indicating that I learned nothing, for which I am ashamed).

Almost spilled my beer on that one

http://dogfriendlyni.com/wp-content/gallery/blog-images/the-cone-of-shame.png

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:26 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Nice shots and good timing. #7 is my favorite. They look quite competent for their age.

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:28 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

btw, isn't that your daughter covering her hitter in most of these shots? Good job!

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:46 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

JohnBrose wrote:
Nice shots and good timing. #7 is my favorite. They look quite competent for their age.

Thanks for your comments John. They are definitely fun to watch and the standard of play for club volleyball is quite high.

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:37 PM
Corillien
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Very cool series of an impressive group of young ladies. I enjoyed many of the ones already noted, the layout, #7....but I also really like number 8. It may not be 100% in terms of the technical aspects (e.g., would have preferred to see your star spiker in crisper focus rather than #2's arms) but it really just conveys such a great spirit and emotion that it's hard not to smile looking at it.

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:42 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

rolette wrote:
btw, isn't that your daughter covering her hitter in most of these shots? Good job!

Yep. Good eye. There was almost no need to cover this hitter though.

Here are a few more where the perspective is not so distorted, based on smaller verticals and/or closer proximity to the net.

© lhryshko 2014

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:43 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Corillien wrote:
Very cool series of an impressive group of young ladies. I enjoyed many of the ones already noted, the layout, #7....but I also really like number 8. It may not be 100% in terms of the technical aspects (e.g., would have preferred to see your star spiker in crisper focus rather than #2's arms) but it really just conveys such a great spirit and emotion that it's hard not to smile looking at it.

What a great comment. Thanks. It exactly conveys what I like about that shot.

Here is another layout that highlights my endless pursuit for high quality daughter photos that are routinely foiled by the camera Gods. I call this one "Stupid Ladder".

© lhryshko 2014

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:27 PM
tleco9956

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

lhryshko wrote:
more

What the HECK? is she doing a high jump over the net? IMPRESSIVE

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:36 PM
tleco9956

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

Need some EXPERT Advise.
Great shot.
I am an AMATEUR. Since I am spending too much time with my Daughter volleyball..I figure I should get a HOBBY. I have some decent gears but still have long way to go.
I am currently use Canon 5D MK3, 70-200 f2.8 MK2. Renting 24-70 f2.8 mk2.
Since I can be at the net most of the tournament, I find the 24-70 will do better.
What would be the best AF setting? many time another player jumps in the frame then the focus is out of wack

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:40 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Volleyball: Girls U16 Volley Jam

There are some great tips compiled in the link below.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239536/0?keyword=volleyball,tips#11791385

Good luck!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.