New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Karlstorm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

The size of the X100/X100s is just right for me, as a small camera. I also have an RX100, but it's a definite trade off between size and experience. Speaking of experience, I almost always prefer to use a finder to compose an image, not a rear LCD screen, and so I wouldn't get the GR.

You can get a viewfinder for the hotshoe, i believe (on the Gr that is )

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:38 AM
taemo
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Using an optical finder in the hotshoe is no problem, particularly given the wider lens (greater dof to begin with). I have a 28 finder in my GR. For static subject matter this works great. For fast moving subjects, the AF will not keep up anyway so one must preset distance (so using the "dumb" finder is not as much a drawback as it would be if AF was quick).

^yup
I use a 28/35mm optical VF on my GR, since I shoot on snap mode 2m and f/11 I know that everything is on focus

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

... I almost always prefer to use a finder to compose an image, not a rear LCD screen, and so I wouldn't get the GR.

Karlstorm wrote:
You can get a viewfinder for the hotshoe, i believe (on the Gr that is )

I tried that on an EP-1. It doesn't suit me, at all.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:22 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Using an optical finder in the hotshoe is no problem, particularly given the wider lens (greater dof to begin with). I have a 28 finder in my GR. For static subject matter this works great. For fast moving subjects, the AF will not keep up anyway so one must preset distance (so using the "dumb" finder is not as much a drawback as it would be if AF was quick).

Ditto. Works very nicely and I found one on the Bay for a great price, though the CV 28 is a pretty solid one too. The advantage of the Ricoh VF is that is has the square framelines as well.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:11 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

The difference in size between a GR and E2 with a lens is rather dramatic. On top of that, Lightroom loves Ricoh files.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Karlstorm
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

FlyPenFly wrote:
The difference in size between a GR and E2 with a lens is rather dramatic. On top of that, Lightroom loves Ricoh files.

Yeah, I have an X-E1 right now with a 27 mm lens, and although it is small (lovin the pancake lens) the Ricoh's super minuscule size is appealing

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:16 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Karlstorm wrote:
Yeah, I have an X-E1 right now with a 27 mm lens, and although it is small (lovin the pancake lens) the Ricoh's super minuscule size is appealing

Fuji also had smaller X-A1 and X-M1 bodies which are noticeably smaller than X-E1. The "depth" would still be not as small as GR but width and height are not that much more than GR.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Karlstorm
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Fuji also had smaller X-A1 and X-M1 bodies which are noticeably smaller than X-E1. The "depth" would still be not as small as GR but width and height are not that much more than GR.

The depth is really the problem... length and width are not a problem

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I bought a Ricoh GR last year. Love it. I shoot street photography with it 100% of the time. Very stealth. Have a look at my Flickr gallery if you want to see what it can do in the streets: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkaz/

BTW.....I use snap focus 100% of the time in the streets. Works flawlessly.

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:23 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Check out this street photographer:

http://www.vivianmaier.com

...almost all with a huge Rollei. It's not always about the camera, but how you approach candid situations...

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:22 PM
owyhee
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I will second what FlyPenFly stated, Lightroom loves the Ricoh GR files!

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

corposant wrote:

...almost all with a huge Rollei. It's not always about the camera, but how you approach candid situations...

The Rolleiflex and Rolleicords are very stealthy to use with their silent leaf shutters and TLR design - really ideal for discreet shooting. I took mine around Europe when younger and was easily able to photograph within only a few feet (like on a bus, train etc.) without any of the subjects even aware they were being photographed. The Rolleicord in particular is not heavy nor "Huge". Great street cameras!

I agree with your premise overall but the Rolleis in particular are not good examples given their discreet nature (particularly for the era/ time they were most widely used).

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:24 AM
Karlstorm
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

That's not necessarily what I'm getting at with the size.. the small size is nice for being discreet, but the main benefit is being able to fit it into your pocket without even thinking about it. With my X-E1, for example, it fits in my jacket pocket just fine, I just need to wiggle it in a little sometimes.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:52 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

corposant wrote:

Maier practiced street photography back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. During this time people were far more relaxed in front of cameras in general and stealth was hardly required.

Today's paranoid, frightened societies are filled with veritable cowards in comparison.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:53 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

corposant wrote:

Hah, didn't HCB used to hide and pop out in surprise?

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:05 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

...not to mention pandering politicians who draw up sweeping rules making such benign activities illegal.

By the same token there is a real fear of nefarious sorts doing this for malevolent purposes. Some years ago in NY City, a group of Iranian UN "diplomats" were caught wandering about and photographing potential targets for the Ayatollahs back home. They were found to have compiled quite a photo album for reference by their killer handlers.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:05 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

j.liam wrote:
...not to mention pandering politicians who draw up sweeping rules making such benign activities illegal.

Ah yes...."security".

j.liam wrote:
By the same token there is a real fear of nefarious sorts doing this for malevolent purposes. Some years ago in NY City, a group of Iranian UN "diplomats" were caught wandering about and photographing potential targets for the Ayatollahs back home. They were found to have compiled quite a photo album for reference by their killer handlers.

You get all the targets you want on Google Earth now.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:09 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Sort of a cliche perhaps but the the reverberation of paranoia following 911, the proliferation of cameraphones/ smartphones and the explosion of social media all seem to have contributed to our camera shy/ camera aware modern culture.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:15 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sort of a cliche perhaps but the the reverberation of paranoia following 911, the proliferation of cameraphones/ smartphones and the explosion of social media all seem to have contributed to our camera shy/ camera aware modern culture.

Street photography is not as fun as it used to be. That's for sure.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:29 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

rattymouse wrote:
You get all the targets you want on Google Earth now.

The big image. Not hidden entrances and escapes routes. They and their Hizbullah allies were carefully documenting these things at places where crowds gathered for public transport throughout New York City.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-21/iranian-diplomats-cased-landmarks-police-official-says.html

Takes one case like this and the pols react by curtailing everything.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:39 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.