Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Fuji X series or Ricoh GR (digital)?
Fujifilm X-E1 / X-E2
Ricoh GR (16.2 MP one)

Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Karlstorm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I've been looking at the Ricoh GR (the 16.2 mp one) recently and like a lot of its features. I currently own a Fuji X-E1, and am considering selling it and buying the Ricoh. What do you guys think? Should I sell it? Or are the X-series cameras as a whole better for street photography? Personal experiences would be extremely beneficial.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:17 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I'd lean towards the Fuji, the GR, while a great camera, pretty much limits you to a 28mm equivalent lens. With the Fuji you have a whole selection of street-friendly lenses (the 18, 23, 27 and 35 are all excellent choices for street shooting).

Neither has great AF, but both are acceptably fast. Both have excellent IQ and are reasonably compact.

I'd only really consider the GR if you needed a pocketable camera.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:27 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Huge advantage of the ricoh is that it's easy to disappear. I get totally different shots when I'm out with an EPM2 than a EM1. People try to get away quickly and become very aware of you with a big camera as opposed to what looks like a point and shoot.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:30 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

FlyPenFly wrote:
Huge advantage of the ricoh is that it's easy to disappear. I get totally different shots when I'm out with an EPM2 than a EM1. People try to get away quickly and become very aware of you with a big camera as opposed to what looks like a point and shoot.

The thing is the X-E1 doesn't have that DSLR look, so it's a lot more akin to an E-PM2 than an E-M1 (which may be small, but still looks like a modern DSLR). One nice thing about all the Fuji's is they look less obtrusive than expected for their size.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Have you considered an X100 or X100s?

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Karlstorm

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Yeah, I liked that the Ricoh is so tiny. I love my X-E1, I currently have the 27 mm lens and its working super nice, but even that gets some looks sometimes when I'm trying to be stealthy. Should I save up and get the Ricoh in addition?

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:47 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

AF on either is not great but the GR offers the "Snap" quick focus mode which is really made for quick shooting. It can also be quickly adjusted to various distances. I would choose the GR for both discreetness (both size and noise) and faster handling once you learn to use the Snap focus mode. Frankly though, once you become familiar with any camera, you can pretty much get it to do what you want. I don't think either of these cameras is really a complete substitute for the other.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:11 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

mawz wrote:
I'd lean towards the Fuji, the GR, while a great camera, pretty much limits you to a 28mm equivalent lens.

Nope. The Ricoh has a 21mm adapter. That's a very wide angle lens.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:22 AM
Karlstorm

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
AF on either is not great but the GR offers the "Snap" quick focus mode which is really made for quick shooting. It can also be quickly adjusted to various distances. I would choose the GR for both discreetness (both size and noise) and faster handling once you learn to use the Snap focus mode. Frankly though, once you become familiar with any camera, you can pretty much get it to do what you want. I don't think either of these cameras is really a complete substitute for the other.

Is there another compact of comparable size to the GR that you think is better? I like how you can still manual focus on the GR if you want to, but it has autofocus as well.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:49 AM
Karlstorm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

jcolwell wrote:

Well, as far as a fixed focal length camera I would prefer it to be smaller than the 100/100s. What are your thoughts on it?

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

owyhee
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

The GR is tiny yet provide excellent IQ. It is about the same size as two iPhones.

You should check out Michael Penn's street photos. He uses a GR and I believe a Pentax DSLR.

http://www.michaelpennphotography.com

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:32 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

It depends how you want to shoot street and what results you want to get.
The Ricoh can pretty much disappear in the inside of your hand and still be operated through there. It's really nothing to get as close as three inches from peoples' faces like that and most of the time nobody will even notice. Which can give you some very dynamic results if that's what you're after. The fujis will push you to a more traditional/conventional shooting style which, with the Ricoh, it would be anything from less enjoyable to a royal PITB. It doesnt have a VF or the nice ergos of the fuji.

I've done both, own both (although not the latest Ricoh with the big sensor), and I think they both have their place. Depends what you want to do.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:48 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

The Ricoh is tiny, yet with a rock solid feel, built in grip, ergonomically near-perfect, light and vanishes in the pocket. Its B&W conversions, my preferred medium for street photography, are to my eye as good as it gets. You will not get better out of an M9/28 Elmarit ASPH. Absolutely brilliant sensor. The simple, intuitive menu was designed for photographers and not by some remote programmer who's never handled a camera and previously wrote code for a microwave oven.

In addition to an adapter for the 21mm diopter as mentioned above, it shoots Hasselblad squares as well as 35mm mode, though that's at 10MP. The lens is perfectly optimized for the sensor and razor sharp; at f/2.8, no compromises.

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:04 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Karlstorm wrote:
Is there another compact of comparable size to the GR that you think is better? I like how you can still manual focus on the GR if you want to, but it has autofocus as well.

For an APS compact of comparable size, I don't think there is anything better. I really doubt there is anything better at it's focal length in APS at any size. The lens is phenomenal and the Sony 16MP APS sensor is one of the best (particularly in the Ricoh without the AA filter). The camera punches way, way above it's weight imo.

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:39 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I have a GR (and had the X-E1) and it's an amazing street camera. Small, silent leaf shutter, snap focus,... However: you have to get along with the 28mm equiv. focal length. It's quite wide. If you prefer shooting a 35 or 50mm... the Fuji will be the better choice.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

Karlstorm wrote:
...but even that gets some looks sometimes when I'm trying to be stealthy..

The camera gets looks or you do, sneaking around.

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

jcolwell wrote:

Karlstorm wrote:
Well, as far as a fixed focal length camera I would prefer it to be smaller than the 100/100s. What are your thoughts on it?

The size of the X100/X100s is just right for me, as a small camera. I also have an RX100, but it's a definite trade off between size and experience. Speaking of experience, I almost always prefer to use a finder to compose an image, not a rear LCD screen, and so I wouldn't get the GR.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:01 PM
taemo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

I've owned both the GR, X100s and X-Pro1 and prefer the GR more for street.
I thought I would hate the 28mm but I actually quite like it
The size, snap mode and the capability to shoot 21mm is what made me go with the GR, plus it can crop to 35mm and 50mm too if needed.

here's a mini review i made a while ago and some pics taken with it

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139242

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

jcolwell wrote:
Speaking of experience, I almost always prefer to use a finder to compose an image, not a rear LCD screen, and so I wouldn't get the GR.

Using an optical finder in the hotshoe is no problem, particularly given the wider lens (greater dof to begin with). I have a 28 finder in my GR. For static subject matter this works great. For fast moving subjects, the AF will not keep up anyway so one must preset distance (so using the "dumb" finder is not as much a drawback as it would be if AF was quick).

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Karlstorm

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Street photography: Fuji X-series or Ricoh GR

owyhee wrote:
The GR is tiny yet provide excellent IQ. It is about the same size as two iPhones.

You should check out Michael Penn's street photos. He uses a GR and I believe a Pentax DSLR.

http://www.michaelpennphotography.com

Alright, I'll check that out, thanks

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password