Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

choti001 wrote:
As for me, I use AutoCAD, 3Ds max, Revit, and Adobe Suites. I needed a high powered machine and bought Lenovo W520 with Nvidia 2000m (fully supports above mentioned softwares). Lenovo's having a 40% off of sale now and you can perhaps get additional discount by signing up for their newsletter. She will need lots of rams. i have 12gbs on mine but it can be expanded to 32GBs.

It appears that Lenovo is no longer selling this machine direct or it has been discontinued. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w520/

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:58 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

rdcny wrote:
Geez...more advertising

anyway, how much weight can your wife handle? The Sagar and the Asus I link to below are 7-10pds...that is a lot for a woman to haul from place to place. That being said, I own and use this one...Asus G75VW (17in screen) - with 16 GB Ram and a 256 SSD...here are a couple of inexpensive ones on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G75VW-NS72-i7-3610QM-2-6GHz-16GB-750GB-256GB-GTX-670M-17-3-Gaming-Laptop-/261437572610?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3cdee4c602

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Notebook-G75VW-DH72-17-3-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-2-40GHz-750GB-HDD-16GB-Memo-/261381608409?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3cdb8ed3d9

good luck...I am just putting my ideas up for you - no need to purchase...first one above is with Windows 7...second is Win 8. I prefer Win 7..and I use both extensively.

I'd really suggest the Haswell chip over the Ivy Bridge if budget is no concern. I got my Asus with an Ivy Bridge, but it was deep discount as the z's and Haswell just came out. Haswell is just more energy efficient and much cooler. That said, the speed difference is negligible. It's got all kinds of overclocking software that I don't use - but if it's as stable as my Gryphon at home, you can overclock and still have a cool and stable system.

Other than that - those ROG Asus' are great machines (you need to seem them in person to appreciate how nicely built they are) - and those are good prices on eBay!

I forgot to mention I run Sony Vegas Pro, Soundforge, CS5.5 Illustrator, Bridge/Photoshop, In Design, Flash (not much longer I hope!), Dreamweaver, Lightroom 5 and Strata Design 3D CX on the thing. I only got a 1TB drive - although SSD is getting cheaper by the day. I've got SSD in my desktop PC for the OS and apps.

Actually, I've gotten to really like windows 8! I've migrated everyone in the office(s) to 8 now, my wife is the lone holdout. I'm just having better luck with 8 (now 8.1) than 7 ultimate. But I gotta admit - it took a year or so for it to all fall together. Since I use a secure VPN to talk to the office - Cisco wasn't really wanting to move forward on 64 bit anything. I had to use a hack even for windows 7! But now all of that's working fine too.

Anyway, I think my one complaint about Asus would be so many models with slight variations within each family doesn't help consumers much as there's so much overlap. As far as customer service, an Engineer at work had them ship a replacement out before he had to send his in, which is pretty neat. Of course, that wouldn't help the average person I suppose...

My wife has a case on wheels, she's a realtor so the laptop is the least of her concerns. However, there's a balancing act as she still needs a light system, but a large monitor. Which is why she'll be getting an Asus, be it new or mine fairly soon! It's much lighter than her Dell - which is literally falling apart. Physical build isn't all that either on Dells. Night and day.

Apr 05, 2014 at 12:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

my daughter is an engineering student at RPI in upstate NY. I asked here just the other day how her computer was doing (Sager custom that I had built and check/inspect when she comes home). she came back saying better then the school based models (Lenovo T430s model). it seems they have had to get to know their tech support people a little more then others. like Dell Lenovo adds little things that make then just a bit different. where Sager is a more "plain vanilla" model.

Edited on Apr 06, 2014 at 07:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

Thanks everyone for sharing your comments experiences!

Apr 06, 2014 at 06:49 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

Just an update, last week I called and spoke with a real live sales person at Lenovo and ordered one of their machines. He said of the configuration that I wanted that there were two in stock somewhere in TN and that it would ship in 1-3 days. So I placed my order. That was great because my wife wanted to have either by last Friday or early this week. 30 minutes after placing the order I got my confirmation e-mail verifying my order, this was last Tuesday. By Friday I has not gotten my tracking number so I referenced my order e-mail to check my order on line. That's when I first noticed that my order was not due to ship until June 27th. So I e-mail my sales guy and asked him what was up. No response. I e-mailed him three times total and left two voice messages with no response. The guy flat out lied to me. So I called Lenovo customer service and cancelled my order. Not a first time good experience with Lenovo.

May 29, 2014 at 09:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

My experience with sager has been one that had me purchase a second one and most likely there will be a third when required.

May 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

sjms wrote:
My experience with sager has been one that had me purchase a second one and most likely there will be a third when required.

On the phone with Sager right now!

May 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

hope she likes it. it is rather plain jane looking.

Edited on May 30, 2014 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2014 at 02:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

sjms wrote:
hope she likes it. it is rather plain jane looking.

Not a problem for her. Me, I love the look of Apple products.

May 30, 2014 at 02:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

aesthetics are good, but for me its the ability to do it my way. i end up with stickers on it after awhile.

May 30, 2014 at 02:17 PM
canon_capture

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

i used to swear by thinkpads but their quality seems to have gone down a bit starting with the t40 series, they are probably the best bet for windows, especially if okay with buying used

May 31, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Mac Guy Needs to Buy Windows Laptop for Wife - What Do You Recommend?

I would stay away from Lenovo. We have 4 Dell workstations for our engineering dept. Used for Solidworks and rendering. We have one Lenovo work station. It has giving us so much grief, motherboard failed on it and so many smaller issues that sucks the time out of you. As soon as you plug it in took a long time to get all the updates, with our Dell machines, very little. Our designer that uses the Lenovo constantly curses that machine. I've told our IT department that from now on ONLY DELL for our engineering department. At first they didn't like it, but they've been getting so many Lenovo laptop failures and driver issues that it seems like we'll be switching everything to Dell again.

May 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.