Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

Archive 2014 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

absolutic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I'd like to resurrect this thread and to ask users, now in late May, what adapters are the best out there. I sold my A7r at the time but getting one in a trade this week, so I might need one of these adapters. I browsed ebay and here is what I see

King Adapter - the usual suspect - about $160
Techart - around $250-300 - what's the dea with Techart, I read one user above says AF is lightning fast another one writes it is painfully slow.
Muchmall is selling one for $115 but it is not clear if it covers the full frame circle.
Cameta Auctions selling one by a brand called DLC for about $150 but they are not saying if it covers the full frame circle. Looks too small to me.
Commlite - not sure about that one
Metabones III - some say too tight and $400 is a lot of money for a piece of metal without even a glass in it.

Am I missing something?

May 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I returned my Metabones III to B&H last week. It wasn't too tight - it seemed to have the opposite problem. There was enough play between the adapter, the camera, and my Zeiss ZE lenses that any movement would cause the camera to lock up and stop functioning... very disappointing considering the $400+ cost.

I think I will wait until the Novoflex version is available, rather than getting another Metabones.

May 20, 2014 at 03:58 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Got a refund for my King adapter that killed my Zeiss 50mm ZE. Zeiss USA couldn't figure it out so they sent it to Germany. Who knows when I will see it again so I picked up a cheap ($250) CY Zeiss 50 1.4 in the interim.

Finally bought a used A7R when it reached my price point. Got a used Metabones III adapter which works fine and seems to fit snug. One thing about the Metabones is that it doesn't do AF with older Canon lenses like my 80-200 Magic Drainpipe. The King did do AF with the 'pipe.

fyi

May 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I purchased an adapter from ebay several days ago with literally no name. It is not a King or the others, the listing had no name. It was cheap though. I'll hopefully get it next week and let you guys and girls know if it kills my lenses

May 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Yousef

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Sorry for interrupting but as I searched this topic, I couldn't find anything related to the Canon MP-E65 Macro lens.

Can someone please enlighten me if there is any available adapter that can support both Sony FF & Canon MP-E65 other than the Metabones?

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Any of the adapters discussed and tested here for FF Sony and EF lenses will work (ie the MP-E65 is a standard EF lens).

One thought though is that at high magnification when the lens is racked out the image circle will be pretty large. This has an impact on internal flare from the edges of the adapter close to the sensor. I've seen this on medium format lenses and had to flock the adapter. Same with TSE lenses which have a large image circle.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:39 AM
Yousef

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

mcbroomf wrote:
Any of the adapters discussed and tested here for FF Sony and EF lenses will work (ie the MP-E65 is a standard EF lens).

Thank you for your reply. Somehow I didn't get any notification informing me that a new input has been added to the topic!
-Update- I just found out the checkbox to enable this option!-

My concern was about changing the aperture of this lens since it's a fully manual lens & doesn't have an aperture ring. This lens is the only remaining lens of my Canon collection & I was hoping to use it using Sony body. So far, I know that Metabones is capable of changing the aperture value from the cam body.. but was hoping to find a "cheaper" solution.
Thanks again.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:12 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Like these? Not sure they are OK for FF but the opening looks pretty wide. You could ask the sellers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-lens-to-Sony-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-NEX-5N-NEX-C3-E-Mount-Adapter-5c3-VG-/200896962499?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2ec6645fc3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Lens-to-Sony-E-Mount-NEX7-NEX3-N-NEX-3-NEX5-NEX-5C-NEX-5N-Adapter-Ring-/250778881086?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3a63960c3e

There are also adapters with tilt that might be useful for macro
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Canon-EOS-Lens-Sony-NEX-Adapter-NEX-5-3-NEX-VG10-/390330788252?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item5ae187299c

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:19 AM
ouuzi

p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Hi people I am following this discussion a long time.I have a specific question:
Are there any good non AF adapters around?Can you recommend one?
i am looking for one to use for landscape photography, so I do not want AF.Any help will be a lot appreciated.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM
cengell
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Hi ouuzi, well I hear Novoflex make some very high quality adapters, with a manual adapters you won't get any EXIF data like lens f/stop or any lens data, that ok?

What lenses do you want to mount to the Sony?

Christopher

Jun 28, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I Posted this on another thread:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247661/119#12548431

Not sure about the IS as the only AF is on a Tamron. Will confirm when I get a chance to try.

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:38 AM
coogee
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Is there a recommended EOS - NEX adapter that's MF only?

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:38 AM
Slalom
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Coogee, I believe that you may want electronic aperture control, so you may find AF comes bundled.

If not you are down to a trusted manufacture for a Nex Lens bayonet mount and a tube and EOS Camera bayonet socket. I think this "Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS Lens to Sony Alpha Nex Camera Adapter" on amazon is half the price of the Viltrox II.

I have only a small proportion of my EF lenses which are not electronically enabled. I guess it is a small market.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:38 AM
coogee
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Thanks. I'll investigate those. I need good electronic aperture performance but af I don't care.

The reason I ask is that the Metabones IV I have judders the aperture on my Zeiss lenses in a way I very much don't like. The aperture blades move even though I have it set to be wide open until shutter press.

I can hear the blades moving, sounding like AF hunting for a lock.

I'll try cleaning all the contacts as I've tried remounting everything to no avail.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Coogee, very odd, I wonder what lens the exif shows for your images, this may be irrelevant but could it be thinking it is something else and you are finding a bug somewhere. Adapter or lens, a nuisance either way.

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:46 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Anyone try a Viltrox mk2 with 17mm tse or ZE lenses?

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM
CBokeh
• •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

John, I tried the Viltrox II with a Tokina 12-24 DX II and sometimes the lens would hunt and sometimes it would snap to focus. The Viltrox II also operated the aperture (still no AF) on some very old Sigma EOS mount zooms that won't work at all on EOS digital bodies without giving the infamous Error 99 code.

Not exactly what you were asking, but maybe this will be of use to someone.

Sep 20, 2014 at 04:12 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I've used my stock (non-flocked) Commlite adapter with my 17 and 24 TSEs + Sony a6000 in some limited, none-too-challenging circumstances (flat light, internal reflections unlikely) and it's done just fine. Build is nice, as is fit. I can't comment on AF/IS performance or performance in light that may cause internal reflections. I do plan on flocking the interior just for good measure...

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:57 PM
2ndviolinman
• •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Can someone who owns the Commlite EF/NEX for full frame adapter measure the diameter of the narrower cylindrical portion behind the wider portion where the release switch is? I would like to know if the Novoflex ASTAT tripod collar will fit (59mm?), or if I need to look for some other sized collar.

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:51 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

As I mentioned above, I'm using a Commlite with Canon TSEs on an a6000. The Commlite is unflocked but it's a simple matter to buy flocking and do it yourself. Takes 10 minutes. I haven't used the adapater with anything that I need to AF so can't comment on that. Seems well built enough tho.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:40 PM
       7       8       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.