Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

tennclay
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I have seen some other options - like the "King", "Commlite", or "Dot Line", but I am not sure if they will work for the Full frame A7 or A7r. Can anyone shed light on these? I know there are some on eBay that say they work with the A7/r, but most take quite long to get to the US.

After reading about the Metabones tightness and the possibility of leaks, I think they are far over priced and I hope there is another option.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:59 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Agree that the Metabones adapter is overpriced. Unfortunately it is the only option currently to use EF lenses on the Sony A7(R) with AF. If you don't need the AF and no EXIF information given to the camera, there are a lot more options out there for much lower prices. I am not familiar with the ones you mention above. Make sure the aperture control works well!
Not sure if I would gamble around with other adapters for very good EF lenses. My Metabones adapter sits tight (not too tight!) and works very well with my EF lenses. Yes, it is $400, but no suffering from loss in IQ.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:08 AM
tennclay
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Thanks, does it have any light leaks that you have seen?

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

tennclay wrote:
Thanks, does it have any light leaks that you have seen?

Nops, not seen any issues so far. The light leak issue per se has nothing to do with the adapter, it derives directly from the E-mount on the camera itself. I took some night photography with several seconds of exposure time, and no issues seen. I personally think that this light leak thing is drawn out of proportion and only happens under extreme circumstances like very long exposures or very close bright light next to the camera lens mount.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:17 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I made a post about the Dot Line here and at least some people are using the 3rd party options off ebay, and yes they work with full frame.

My guess is that many of the 3rd party options are coming from the same manufacturer with different names being stamped on. That's just me guessing based on how similar they look however.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:38 AM
mhespenheide
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Not yet. I've got a commlite adapter coming that should show up in the next week or two. I don't really care about AF or IS; I do care about closing down the aperture and exif data. I'm mostly hoping to use a Contax 24-85 N zoom (already adapted to EOS by Conurus) and Canon 70-200 f/4L (non-IS) zoom. We'll see how those do (on a sample size of one) on the adapter.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:03 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Can't decide what to think about Metabones and whether it's worth the price. Got an F to E that's literally the worst adapter I've ever had - worse even than Fotodiox. It's so loose it will barely stay on the camera - I can rock it back and forth not just rotationally but (quite far) left-to-right!!! Also got an M to E that's awesome and arguably as good as Voigtlander's. *shrug*

I guess service is the answer. They're happily replace that F to E, with an apology, whereas the bargain/eBay outfits suddenly no longer speak English when you have that sort of problem with one of their products.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:25 AM
tennclay
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

retrofocus wrote:
Nops, not seen any issues so far. The light leak issue per se has nothing to do with the adapter, it derives directly from the E-mount on the camera itself. I took some night photography with several seconds of exposure time, and no issues seen. I personally think that this light leak thing is drawn out of proportion and only happens under extreme circumstances like very long exposures or very close bright light next to the camera lens mount.

I am talking about a leak in the adapter itself, I have used a Metabones adapter - for Leica R, not EOS - that had holes straight through the lens release. Hopefully, the EOS is better designed.

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

tennclay wrote:
I am talking about a leak in the adapter itself, I have used a Metabones adapter - for Leica R, not EOS - that had holes straight through the lens release. Hopefully, the EOS is better designed.

No holes in my Metabones EF adapter.....

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:55 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I'm sure I missed some, I think Fred was talking to a company that promised to make a FF AF adapter that I didn't notice in this search.
I just looked up EF-NEX adapters on ebay and came up with these specifically for FF.

Note that the 1st one has a button to release the lens, all of the others have sliders which might mask the hole better to prevent leaks.

I've not tried any of these, I only have the Metabones III, but I can see getting another 2-3 cheaper versions to keep on my EF lenses if I stay with the A7r if they are proven

Lengril ... has button not lever
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-Full-Frame-AF-Confirm-Adapter-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-lens-to-Sony-NEX-A7-/360807716713

Techart .. has slider not button
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHART-Auto-Focus-Adapter-For-Canon-EF-EOS-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-3-5-6-7-A7-A7R-/121278805551

Viltrox... has slider not button
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viltrox-AF-Auto-Focus-Lens-Adapter-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-to-Sony-E-NEX-camera-A7-A7R-/351038800992

King ... slider
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-AF-Canon-EOS-EF-lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-NEX-7-A7R-Full-Frame-/171265262643

Unknown .. slider
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-Adapter-For-Canon-EF-EFS-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-3-5R-6R-7-A7-A7R-Camera-/201063033822

Commlite or STOK? .. looks like FF but does not say. Slider
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-Adapter-For-Canon-EF-EFS-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-3-5R-6R-7-A7-A7R-Camera-/201063033822

Unknown, has slider and mini-usb port on side
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-AF-Adapter-For-Canon-EF-EF-S-Mount-lens-to-Sony-Nex-E-mount-A7-A7R-/400683141289

Meike (?) as above, has slider and USB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Auto-Focus-Adapter-Tube-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-A7-/231184683866

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

mcbroomf wrote:
I'm sure I missed some, I think Fred was talking to a company that promised to make a FF AF adapter that I didn't notice in this search.

Fred mentioned one not available yet from Novoflex. They make good adapters, but are very expensive.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Atlasman2
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I'm using the rjcamera ef to fe adapter on my A7.

Here is the adapter in action with compound adapter the om to ef.

Here is a test of auto focus with the ef 85mm f1.8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBLvdUJ-IVo

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:15 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

Lee Saxon wrote:
I guess service is the answer. They're happily replace that F to E, with an apology, whereas the bargain/eBay outfits suddenly no longer speak English when you have that sort of problem with one of their products.

While I have had that experience with some ebay sellers, others have been very good in customer service. A simple email stating that there is a problem with the adapter was enough for the seller to offer a refund or send out a replacement - without the hassle of me shipping anything back.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:43 PM
tennclay
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

retrofocus wrote:
No holes in my Metabones EF adapter.....

That's good to know!

mcbroomf wrote:
I just looked up EF-NEX adapters on ebay and came up with these specifically for FF.

Note that the 1st one has a button to release the lens, all of the others have sliders which might mask the hole better to prevent leaks.

I've not tried any of these, I only have the Metabones III, but I can see getting another 2-3 cheaper versions to keep on my EF lenses if I stay with
...Show more

Great - thanks for that list! I wasn't able to find a couple of these on eBay even though I searched.

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:23 PM
triniart

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I use the RJ Adapter (the Full Frame one) on the A7R
No light leaks.
These canon lenses work. 85 1.8, 17-40, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4
This lens does not work: 100 2.8L IS Macro

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:09 PM
leemik

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

That King adapter looks like it's non reflectively lined on the inside portion.. which was an issue with the Metabones adapter.. Not a bad price either. I think I would try that one first out of all of them.

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:24 PM
tennclay
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

triniart wrote:
I use the RJ Adapter (the Full Frame one) on the A7R
No light leaks.
These canon lenses work. 85 1.8, 17-40, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4
This lens does not work: 100 2.8L IS Macro

You mean AF? Or you can't set the aperture?

leemik wrote:
That King adapter looks like it's non reflectively lined on the inside portion.. which was an issue with the Metabones adapter.. Not a bad price either. I think I would try that one first out of all of them.

I am leaning that way too, though I may have found a used Metabones to try...

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:08 AM
reprazent1

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

I have the techart adapter myself (the internals are covered in blackflock paper), haven't noticed any reflections so far. AF is slow and next to useless to me (it's no better with the metabones), so I decided to keep the techart. It will save exif info (except for lenscode) and just for setting the aperture it does the job for me and see no reason to spend 400bucks on the metabones.

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:08 PM
mhespenheide
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

The Commlite adapter arrived late yesterday. I'd bought it through Amazon. I played with it briefly last night. I'm of a mixed opinion so far. It seems to work with my Canon EF 70-200/4L just fine, albeit with a slow autofocus. I'd dearly hoped to use it with a Conurus-adapted Contax Zeiss 24-85 N zoom, but it doesn't appear to communicate. The a7r acts like I have a completely manual lens attached, without even the aperture showing up. I haven't checked to see whether the EXIF data comes through intact.

It is not flocked; I'm already noticed some "blooming" if a bright light source is just outside the field of view; I assume that's from internal reflections bouncing around inside the adapter. It sounds like the techart adapter might be the way to go. I'll try some more tests over the next few days before I decide whether to return mine or not.

Apr 02, 2014 at 09:45 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone try a NON-Metabones EOS/Nex AF/IS adapter ?

mhespenheide wrote:
The Commlite adapter arrived late yesterday. I'd bought it through Amazon. I played with it briefly last night. I'm of a mixed opinion so far. It seems to work with my Canon EF 70-200/4L just fine, albeit with a slow autofocus. I'd dearly hoped to use it with a Conurus-adapted Contax Zeiss 24-85 N zoom, but it doesn't appear to communicate. The a7r acts like I have a completely manual lens attached, without even the aperture showing up. I haven't checked to see whether the EXIF data comes through intact.

It is not flocked; I'm already noticed some "blooming" if a
...Show more

The Metabones adapter doesn't support Conurus converted lenses either. Not sure if there is a working option for that.

I've got a credit on my B&H account, so I think I might try the Dot Line. Will report back if I go with that option.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password