Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

gregfixit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

I've been trying to re-process this photo from last fall. It is a shot taken from the porch of the lighthouse-keeper at Split Rock lighthouse on Lake Superior. I'm not even sure what it is that I like about this shot. Maybe the fall colors, or the view of the shoreline. Maybe I just love the wide angle I get from this sigma lens. I would love some feedback on composition and on processing. I have included the SOOC version as well. If it's a lost cause just tell me. I sometimes get hung-up on photos and will spend way too much time trying to make it into something I would hang on a wall.

gdgood photography 2014

Edited version.

Canon EOS-1D X    12-24mm lens    24mm    f/5.6    1/5000s    2000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

SOOC

Canon EOS-1D X    12-24mm lens    24mm    f/5.6    1/5000s    2000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

I love the way the arch frames the sky...the setting sun and it's reflection through the clouds and off the brick buildings. I'm a bit bothered by the bottom of the image. It feels hazy and out of focus. Possibly cropping that area up a bit just barely above the white petunias int he middle of the greenery and leaving all the tops row. Also a very slight crop on the left...though I am not certain about this one...I'd need to try it and see. As for processing,there are others here who are far more qualified to respond than I. However, I can say that I like what you have done!

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:15 AM
tsaphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

How did you get rid of the lens flare? Careful cloning?

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:19 AM
gregfixit
• •
p.1 #4 · Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

Thanks Diane,
I will play with a couple different crops. I added a little blur there because I didn't know what exactly to do with the lower left.
Thanks for the feedback.
Greg

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:03 AM
gregfixit
• •
p.1 #5 · Sunset from the porch at Split Rock

tsaphoto wrote:
How did you get rid of the lens flare? Careful cloning?

Yup, I spent a little (OK, more than a little) time cloning out the flare, and the fence.
Greg

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password