FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

fotosculptor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

How often and how far do you folks have to drive to enjoy your superteles? I live in Northern California, and taking photos of baylands birds is only so interesting after a while. At some point, a "day trip" won't cut it for wildlife photography, and so using the lens will require planning and money. Conversely, on the wide-angle side, there's opportunities everywhere for cheap.

I'm basically looking for enough creativity from you folks on how to get the very most out of a $10K+ investment.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:30 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

I don't have to go further than my kitchen window to photograph birds at my feeder, I also go to local parks, or make a 30 minute drive to a number of NYC area preserves. If I travel an hour, I can photograph eagles in the winter along the lower Hudson River.

Morris

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:43 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

This is my own opinion. I try to explore all the local spots first; within 25 miles - 30 miles travel for shooting is reasonable for a day outing. There are a lot of species surrounding us. It helps me to gain my skill with both IF and perch shots and learn variety behaviors of certain species as well as learning the gear and make it as an extend of my body rather than just a piece of gear. If time and weather are permitted, I would want to go out and shoot twice a week.

One day, when I am getting better, I will definitely book for some workshops and travel to shoot. Then that money/travel will be well spent and I can spend more time to shoot..

- Tam

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:43 PM
horobosu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

I consider myself very fortunate to live an hours drive away from Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park. They both have a wealth of wildlife and landscape photo opportunities.
As far as how often I drive, pretty much every weekend and during summer months I will go for weekday evening trips after work.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:47 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

15 minute drive to the local NWR.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:12 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

Normally I can have my kayak in the water in under 30 min, but lots of stuff within an hour, and two hours opens up a lot of places to shoot, but not as often as the closer stuff ~ Ron

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

I buy used and cut my investment in half

A 500 works well on other things too, surf, boats, sports, florals, racing, air shows etc

Once you have one it's a little harder to 'not have one'

Karl

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

horobosu wrote:
I consider myself very fortunate to live an hours drive away from Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park. They both have a wealth of wildlife and landscape photo opportunities.
As far as how often I drive, pretty much every weekend and during summer months I will go for weekday evening trips after work.

Me too - hope to see you in the park this summer. Scott

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM
surftout

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting out to enjoy your >= 500mm

Shoot some surfing!!! Aloha

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.