Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Changes in your gear for 2014

swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Michael Beard wrote:
I split the crotch REAL bad at one of our first weddings. During the processional. In front of everyone. They probably heard it too.

Get slacks with about a two inch longer inseam and have the legs hemmed. Gives you more room in the crotch to kneel without ripping your pants. It's like the formal equivalent of loose fit jeans.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:56 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Changes in your gear for 2014

nothing too exciting new for us this year for weddings. Magmods and a few flash benders and that's about it. We are ramping up our studio work, though, so I am into another flash head, strip box, beauty dish, some backdrops, and a few other odds and ends.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:59 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Changes in your gear for 2014

zalmyb wrote:
Split the crotch really bad last event!

Did that a few weddings ago. Had no clue until I got home and have no clue at what point it happened (whole back was split

That's why I always wear black undies to a wedding - just in case.

My planned fix if it ever happens is gaffers tape.

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:10 AM
Michael Beard
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Changes in your gear for 2014

swoop wrote:
Get slacks with about a two inch longer inseam and have the legs hemmed. Gives you more room in the crotch to kneel without ripping your pants. It's like the formal equivalent of loose fit jeans.

Good tip! My current pair are excellent though- super comfortable and I can kneel as much as I want.

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:13 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Changes in your gear for 2014

I need a new 50 and flash. One died on me and I beat my up 50! ha ha Its seen better days for sure over the years.

I did just get a new computer, external, and an Intous tablet. Im going on day four with my new goods. I went from the horse and buggy to the space shuttle!

Apr 04, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Changes in your gear for 2014

morby wrote:
New wedding clothes. Split the crotch really bad last event!

Did that while second shooting. Right up the center of my butt. Luckily was wearing my purple boxers with cameras on them (no joke). But just thinking of that sound of ripping pants still makes me laugh.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:00 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Changes in your gear for 2014

NYstyles wrote:
I need a new 50 and flash.

You should have a look at that new Sigma 50 that's supposed to be out in about a month. Should be good! Probably better than the Canon and Nikon 50s.

Apr 05, 2014 at 06:18 AM
markbrown

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Buying nothing. Saving for retirement. 10 years away

Apr 06, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Michael Beard
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Shot my first wedding with the 24-70 II today. I think it's a keeper.

Apr 06, 2014 at 03:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Changes in your gear for 2014

NYstyles wrote:
I need a new 50

Hey, Styles.

Just ran across one of the first reviews of the new Sig 50. It's by the respected magazine Imaging Resource.

Many here won't be interested because the lens is too big for 'em.

From the review:

"The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is quite large and bulky ... A lightweight "nifty fifty" this lens is not! ... We mentioned "serious weight" and we're not kidding. This lens is large and bulky"

Despite that, the reviewer concludes, "The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year."

The Most Exciting Lens

Apr 06, 2014 at 05:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NYstyles
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Changes in your gear for 2014

D. Diggler wrote:
Hey, Styles.

Just ran across one of the first reviews of the new Sig 50. It's by the respected magazine Imaging Resource.

Many here won't be interested because the lens is too big for 'em.

From the review:

"The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is quite large and bulky ... A lightweight "nifty fifty" this lens is not! ... We mentioned "serious weight" and we're not kidding. This lens is large and bulky"

Despite that, the reviewer concludes, "The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year."

The Most Exciting Lens

I'll check it out, thanks! Every lens is more bulky that a nifty 50! ha ha That thing is tiny!

Apr 06, 2014 at 11:54 AM
rollee
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Changes in your gear for 2014

A tiny Canon 90EX gem I found along the way, incredibly handy piece of unassuming tech.
Most people aren't even aware it exist.
I cannot be more surprised by my impulsive purchase of the Cheetah C8!

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:50 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Changes in your gear for 2014

NYstyles wrote:
Every lens is more bulky that a nifty 50! That thing is tiny!

It's actually not a bad lens! I have one and use it occasionally. Optical quality seems fine. Lens is sharp. Canon's 50/1.4, which I also have, is much worse optically wide open than the Nifty Fifty. I did find that the 1.4 is a little more accurate in hitting focus.

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:26 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Changes in your gear for 2014

New Sig 50 price announced: $949. Little more than I was hoping for. Was hoping maybe seven something.

Canon version shipping April 25th. Nikon later.

Anyone tempted to pre-order?

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:43 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Changes in your gear for 2014

D. Diggler wrote:
New Sig 50 price announced: $949. Little more than I was hoping for. Was hoping maybe seven something.

Canon version shipping April 25th. Nikon later.

Anyone tempted to pre-order?

You bet I am. I frickin' hate my 50 f/1.4G. It's so soft wide open, and fringing is horrible in all but the most perfect post-sunset diffused light.

I'm on board for the Siggy, for sure.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:43 PM
dgleason
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Sold off my 70-200 2.8 and 35L. Picked up 200 2.8 prime and 24L.. Also thinking about selling my 50L for the new sigma art when it's out...

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Prettym1k3 wrote
I'm on board for the Siggy, for sure.

You know, I'll bet that there are so many photographers buying Sigma stock that sooner or later some will be accused of insider trading.

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:44 PM
fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Changes in your gear for 2014

Was forced to sell in mid/late 2013 a nice Leica film setup to pay medical bills.

Entered 2014 with only a lowly Nikon D200 and some forgettable third party glass.

As I scratched together some cash, decided to go in another direction and again started shooting sports for the newspaper. A friends wedding is in October.

Added in 2014...
Nikon D600
Nikon 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS
Nikon 50mm F/1.4
Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8
Young nou triggers
Sekonic 758DR

Rather content gear wise, though I'm fighting the urge for a Nikon 80-200.

Any other purchases will be minor accessory stuff... Camera Sling style strap, gear bag.

Less is more.

I love my gear, modest as it might be... While I have several friends/family portfolio builder portrait sessions and an October wedding, I will likely rent any gear to fill holes in the short term.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:37 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Changes in your gear for 2014

D. Diggler wrote:
It's actually not a bad lens! I have one and use it occasionally. Optical quality seems fine. Lens is sharp. Canon's 50/1.4, which I also have, is much worse optically wide open than the Nifty Fifty. I did find that the 1.4 is a little more accurate in hitting focus.

Im sure its better than the 1.4! its soft wide open. I still use 1.8, I never went to the 1.4 because its 'faulty' for the money...

I love the 1.8 personally and I'll surely check out Sigmas. I'll rent one, I have a great local shop I can stop in whenever and rent. Id like a 1.4 I just dont Need 1.4. ha ha

I just got a new computer, drive, and Wacom so Im tapped right for a larger purchase. I went from a horse and buggy to a space shuttle...

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:45 PM
Cbe513

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Changes in your gear for 2014

got rid of all DX lens and d7100

bought a refurbished D3 for a killer price (finally in the FX world!)
and a few Phottix Mitros + flashes

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password