Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Going Alone

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going Alone

I'm one of those folks that have a day job (I'm a CPA by profession) and the job is quite demanding of my time. But I do get time off, although it is often not at the most ideal times of year. I've been a little jealous of those of you who seem to be able to go to locations whenever the time is best (spring blooms, fall colors, new greens, winter, etc.) and actually can plan trips to go at those times.

Being married, whenever I do get free, I need to plan my trips with family in mind, and I do enjoy spending time with the family, don't get me wrong. But I also would like to have some opportunities to focus on just the photography.

I know that many of you go to your photo locations alone, some often doing the primitive camping thing for several days. I'm entertaining the thought of going alone on a trip for myself. Tax season will be over soon and I will have some time for the end of April to get away for a few days. My wife cannot leave work at that time, so I may be going at it alone. If I do this, it will be up in GSMNP and I will probably do day hikes, not stay out "in the wilds" overnight, although I may go up on top of the mountains (along the BRP) for some night shots.

With that in mind, what kinds of things do you do to enhance your safety? What do you take with you? I actually do not worry too much about wildlife, although I will be in an area that has plenty of snakes, including several varieties of poisonous ones. I worry more about ankle sprains, and injuries of that nature or falling in the water while rock hopping along creeks and such. Or should I just cast my worries to the wind and just enjoy it moment by moment?

FWIW, I am 60 years old, but I consider myself to be in fairly decent shape for a desk jockey. I won't win any endurance races, but I can muddle along ok. I do plan to leave a detailed itinerary of what I plan to do with the boss, er, ah wife and text in from time to time. Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:27 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going Alone

One thing that makes me feel much better about solo trips is having a satellite communicator device. I was using a SPOT Messenger, but recently switched to the DeLorme Inreach SE. Both of these have an SOS button that will summon Search and Rescue to your location. I switched to the Inreach so I could potentially text back and forth to communicate the problem, and also it allows 2-way texting with anyone via phone or email. Beyond that you should always let others know where you are. I always carry bear spray in bear country. Just a few things to consider.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:51 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going Alone

That Delorme gizmo is pretty cool. I had no idea such a thing was available. Will definitely check into it. What else?

Mar 31, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going Alone

I have found that it can be difficult to find areas not well frequented by other people. That would be especially the case in the Smokies. If you do have an accident such and were lucky enough to find an isolated area, then you will need to limp out with your sprained ankle or whatever.

Do you really want to pass up great opportunities because you might have an accident?

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:07 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going Alone

Not really. I've always seemed to hav someone else with me so its just different. Pretty sure I'm not going to pass it up.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going Alone

Hi, I have been going around alone a lot. BUT I have been lucky so far. I had chilling experience in False Kiva on my way out, to say the least.
So.. I am not qualified to give you any advice, but I will get back to this thread often to learn others' excellent advice.
Good luck with your endeavor. Be safe!

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:23 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going Alone

I think the #1 rule of going out alone is to make sure you always tell someone -- or multiple people-- where you intend to go and when you expect to be back. That alone can make a huge difference. Obviously a personal locator is great as well but if you are incapacitated it won't help. Also if you are going out alone it is prudent to bring the "The 10 Essentials" :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials
Paul

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:19 AM
ElCuruba

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going Alone

kurt765 wrote:
One thing that makes me feel much better about solo trips is having a satellite communicator device. I was using a SPOT Messenger, but recently switched to the DeLorme Inreach SE.

An american guy that I've met on iceland told me about that DeLorme Inreach system. I'm thinking about to buy one because i'm going on a three week solo trip in the south west of the US in may. I'm wondering if this device works in narrow canyons too or is it just good for the open range? Do you have any practical experiences with that device under such conditions?

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:53 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going Alone

Do you use hiking poles? If not, get some. They have saved me quite a few times from taking spills.

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:09 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going Alone

The number one cause of death in the back country is falling, by far, nothing else even comes close. Most of us seem to worry the most about animals, but animal attacks barely even register on the radar.

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:38 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going Alone

ElCuruba wrote:
An american guy that I've met on iceland told me about that DeLorme Inreach system. I'm thinking about to buy one because i'm going on a three week solo trip in the south west of the US in may. I'm wondering if this device works in narrow canyons too or is it just good for the open range? Do you have any practical experiences with that device under such conditions?

I've only recently acquired the Inreach. I can't vouch for narrow canyon performance of either system really. I would guess it has the same difficulty in narrow canyons that other GPS systems have. They both use GPS to determine your location, and I think they both use Iridium satellites for communications. So like anything else it requires satellite reception to work. So far I tested texting back and forth in areas of Death Valley that had no cell coverage at all with the inreach. The SPOT always seemed able to send its location and pre-defined messages as well.

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:50 AM
PhotoKris

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going Alone

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

"We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear manure:

Black bear manure is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear manure has little bells in it and smells like pepper."

Kidding of course, Important to bring extra food, water, sweater, take precautions, be careful and have fun.

Apr 01, 2014 at 09:54 AM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going Alone

Gadgets are cool. I've used the In-reach on a couple trips, BUT... You knew there was going to be a but, right? Never go into the backcountry expecting someone else to get you out of it. You don't need a massive first aid kit, but you should be able to recognize and deal with things like sprains, strain, bleeding, allergic reactions, shock etc.

I agree with the use of hiking poles, not only for stability on trail, but if you rap the top section with some duct tape they make for great smooth strong splint material if you DO twist ankle or knee and need to stabilize.

Always do things at 80% intensity that you normally do when with other people. That means pushing hard on the trail, taking risks to get to the perfect spot. GIve yourself extra time before the sun goes down.

Rule one though is let someone know where you're going to be and have a designated contact time.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:04 AM
ElCuruba

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going Alone

kurt765 wrote:
I've only recently acquired the Inreach. I can't vouch for narrow canyon performance of either system really. I would guess it has the same difficulty in narrow canyons that other GPS systems have. They both use GPS to determine your location, and I think they both use Iridium satellites for communications. So like anything else it requires satellite reception to work. So far I tested texting back and forth in areas of Death Valley that had no cell coverage at all with the inreach. The SPOT always seemed able to send its location and pre-defined messages as well.

Ok, thank you for the feedback. I think I'll give it a try.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:43 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going Alone

Thanks all for the input. I think I am definitely going to get a DeLorme. That will help with a lot of the concerns that my family has. The ability to send texts to let them know my status is a big deal. The first aid kit is always a good idea, although I admit that I seldom if ever take one with me, but will on this trip.

And folks, keep the ideas coming. I can tell from other responses that others are benefiting from this information as much as I am.

Thanks,
Jim

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Going Alone

You do know that DeLorme requires an annual subscription contract for the service? It gets pretty costly if you don't use it much, between the device and the fees.

Back to soloing, I do it a lot. Experience helps me, but common sense and the advice seen here should be used. If you're hiking maintained trails, skip the device. First aid kit and bear repellant (if you're in those areas) are a good idea.

Just do it! Soloing is the most rejuvenating experience for people with high gear careers like you (and me). I live all year waiting for those moments.

Apr 01, 2014 at 12:40 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Going Alone

The DeLorme lets you pay month to month, I'm not sure about the spot. The subscription is what has kept me from getting one.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:16 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Going Alone

The web site has subscription plans for both annual and as you need it (freedom) plans. The freedom plans are for a minimum of 30 days. The freedom plan I'd probably use runs 35 bucks for a 30 day period.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:27 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Going Alone

Haven't used a satellite messenger device. I go hiking alone a fair amount, both day hikes and overnight hikes. In addition to the very good advice above about the ten essentials, and always telling someone where/when you are going... here's a few thoughts...
PS - another ten essentials link - http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

No one mentioned sturdy hiking boots yet, but they will help you out a lot on rocky trails.

For your intended trips (no camping, but hiking alone and maybe night hiking), I think the keys are sturdy hiking boots, trekking poles, and a good headlight, and extra layers and wind/rainproof layers. Stove/thermos and warm food is nice too. It gets cold in the hills/mountains at night, and would be even worse if it started raining on you.

If you are camping overnight, be aware of campsite Leave No Trace guidelines, and carry a bear canister if you are going to be in a bear area. Rocky Mountain NP requires permits and bear canisters for overnight camping. I always carry a water purifier system, and extra food that can be eaten without cooking.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:20 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Going Alone

Even for day hikes alone, go prepared that you could survive the night or a few days if you had to. That doesn't necessarily mean a tent, but some warm clothing, a way to purify water, etc...

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.