New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

We are now finalising our September trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. (Our first visit) We will have three days in GT and are intending to stay in Jackson Hole - presumably that is close enough to GT? We will have six days in Yellowstone and have not yet decided where to stay - I think we would want to stay in two areas (either 3/3 or 4/2) and would value advice as to areas to pick to stay (and even hotels - we are not campers). Searching old posts reveals lots about what camera gear but I can't find anything very specific about accommodation.
Many thanks in advance
Niall

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Hi Niall.

Yes, staying in Jackson is good for the Grand Tetons. That puts you about 20 to 30 mins from most parts, though probably 45 mins or so from Oxbow Bend. But it is workable. There is some lodging in the Grand Tetons itself, you make want to look into that.

As for Yellowstone, staying in West Yellowstone is common. Lot's of choices there to stay. You can stay at Old Faithful lodge, though the lodging in that area (there are 3 different places you can stay at I think) can start to close down, so you need to check it that. If you want to split it up, you will need to decide what you want to shoot and where. West Yellowstone does put you about 45 mins or so from most of the major sites.

It's the timing you need to try and get right, as the fall colors is the main attraction in the Grand Tetons, but the timing does vary. What are the dates you are thinking?

Jim

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:20 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Hi Jim
We are flying to Grand Rapids on 6th September, getting to Yellowstone on about 10th and flying out from Jackson Hole on 19th, which may be a bit early but, unfortunately our dates are fixed.
Niall

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:30 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Wow Niall, that is really way to early of you are thinking fall colors. In Yellowstone it won't matter as fall colors are not really a big thing there, but for the Tetons, it's too bad are not there somewhere atound the 28th, 29th or 30th, or in that neighborhood. Course it won't be as crowded for you either with being that early, you will have better choices for lodging.

Jim

Mar 31, 2014 at 06:49 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Niall
Try to stay in the parks. Less driving, more convenience.
Check out Google for lodging in GT and Yellowstone parks. Another site with a lot of info is www.tripadvisor.com. Generally, staying in the parks is not the least expensive, but the convenience more than compensates. You are coming a long way, utilize your time in the parks, not in the car. The best time for photography in the parks is when you are there! Enjoy.
David

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:05 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

It's fine to stay at West Yellowstone and Jackson and then commute to the park each day. Although, for Yellowstone that could mean a lot of driving.

The lodging options inside the park are reasonable but they aren't inexpensive and they are somewhat "rustic".

At Yellowstone, we stayed at the Mammoth Hot Springs Lodge for one night and then in West Yellowstone for 2 nights.

At Grand Teton, we stayed at the Jackson Lake Lodge for a couple of nights which was actually pretty nice.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:31 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Being retired and doing my photo traveling using $$$ from my bucket list savings, I look for a good combination of inexpensive and decent accommodations. I've been to GT and Y-stone quite a few times, and I've settled on staying at the Super 8 in Jackson when I'm there, and in West Yellowstone at the Brandin' Iron Inn. The advice that staying in West Yellowstone entails a lot of driving is true, true, true, but quite manageable. Staying inside the park has obvious advantages, but it will cost you more. For the time period you are going, the lodges in the parks should still be open, but you best check to be sure. Staying inside the national parks usually means giving up internet access and even cell phone service, but you don't have to dig out so early to shoot at sunrise.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

It sounds like you are coming by car which direction route? I live in Pocatello ID and grew up adjacent to YP/GT. When I travel I check with the Chamber of Commerce. In Jackson I stay at Flat Creek Inn as it's across from the Elk reserve and the closes to the GT Park. Flag Ranch is between the two parks. There is a place that I like in West Yellowstone that we use in the winter and has snowcoaches. I can't pull that up at this time.

Long day I will try tomorrow some other stuff PM me if you like. Good luck and good shooting. J. R.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:41 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Jackson Lake Lodge (stayed there on two trips), is wonderful... albeit more on the north side of the park. don't know about Jackson lodging. Tetons are mostly a sunrise photo park as opposed to sunset.

We stayed at Yellowstone Canyon area. It was a wonderful location. The canyon is a great photo spot and anywhere in Yellowstone is a good starting point to get around the park.
have a good trip.
bb

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:07 AM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

YNP since it's your first trip I would split between WY and Gardiner if you're staying out of the park. Work the figure 8. When you are up the Lamar, plan lunch up at Cooke City as there's some good food up there. If beartooth is open, a drive to the top is something you won't soon forget. Just amazing.

We like Jackson while down there, but that's cause we drive out in morning and day, then like to walk around town in the evening so being right in town is nice.

A lot of where you want to be and what you want to do will depend on the weather. It's really hit/miss. If you get a really warm day with a little breeze, go to Grand Prismatic for photos. It's great everytime, but helps if you can see most of the colors

Enjoy and don't forget your bear spray if you plan to hike away from the masses. There's lots of 1-4 hr hikes around, Grebe lake area being a favorite.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:25 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

A couple of ideas: if you have a cold morning in Yellowstone, a nice steam fog forms on the surface of Grand Prismatic Spring, and in the morning sun (~9 AM) that fog takes on the colors (blues/orange/yellow) from the bacteria in the water. Shots from a bit down-slope from the spring, roughly eye-level with the fog, show this beautifully.

In the morning, typically around 8-830 AM (ask at a Ranger Station), a rainbow appears in the spray at the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River - bring your polarizer!

Apr 02, 2014 at 12:39 AM
irishjim

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

In YNP I recommend at least One night in Mammoth Hot Springs versus staying in Gardiner. The springs can be seen in a day, the advantage is the Elk come right into town and you should catch some rut activity in September. Lamar valley to the east of Mammoth is a great location to catch wildlife anytime of day but if you can get there in early AM you will get great shots the cooler air will accentuate the the steam vents and animals. Inspiration point, Artist point, and the canyon of the Yellowstone go early to avoid the hoards of cars and buses. Actually the west road gives some great views if you can't avoid midday. Make time for Hayden Vally S/O the falls for animal viewing. If you are interested in a out of park visit I highly recommend in Cody, Wy Buffalo Bill Center of the West, and the West Gun Museum, also good choices of off park accommodations. The west entrance offers lots of accommodations that are nicer and less expensive. Great for the Old Faithful, Lower Geyser Basin, Paint Pots , etc.
Near the south entrance of Yellowstone is Jackson Lake Lodge of GTNP one of the nicer in park lodges. Close enough to South Yellowstone and lots of activities like rafting trips with cook out, trail rides, etc. For GTNP it self I recommend staying in Teton Village a ski resort that is only ten minutes to the south entrance of GTNP and if you use the back road from Teton Village to Moose your are guaranteed to see lots of wildlife up close. Just be careful the road is rough. Stop and see the Rockefeller Center and do the Phelps Lake hike. Don't miss Jenny Lake, take the ferry across and do the hike to Hidden Falls. Moran Junction near the damn is great evening sighting of Grizzlies. Jackson Hole is a must see but very touristy that's why we stay in Teton Village. If you find time try Nora's Fish Camp restaurant in Wilson about 7 miles from Jackson Hole.

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:10 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

tag

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:49 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

Many thanks for all the advice. Because of availability of accommodation we have booked 4 days in Gardiner and are waiting availability request for two days by the Lake (we're not into Pioneer Cabins and the like!!) Unfortunately the suggested Trip Planner is sold-out.
Niall

Apr 05, 2014 at 06:03 AM
dmottley

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip advice

I've been to both places. I recommend stopping by the Jackson Lake Lodge to checkout the view from the porch even if you can't stay there.

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.