Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

I just got this email that purports that Panasonic is leaving m4/3 completely and is halting all production of m4/3 gear except for the GH4.

Anyone have any info confirming or denying? If this is true, it would be a huge blow to the m4/3 format.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10010/panasonic-abandons-m43-stops-cameras-production-except-gh4

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:20 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Isn't there an aps-c leica coming? I could see Pana helping produce that.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:22 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #3 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

The most interesting thing from that link is not the halting of m4/3, but the speculation of Panasonic developing a full frame sensor/mount.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:32 PM
brunobarolo
• •
p.1 #4 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

I don't have any idea where this comes from, but in Asia it is already April 1st...

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:09 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

This is just an April Fool's joke. That site does one every year. And is fairly successful each year getting folks to believe it. Remember, he's in a time zone far ahead of yours.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:18 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Actually, I work in mergers here in NYC and have heard about a deal from my friends who know I'm into cameras. Some of them worked on the deal to refinance the debt on Olympus imaging products, mostly the medical side but it's a small world out there in imaging finance. They did tell me some big deal was going down in Q2. This makes sense.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:23 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

In any case, I'm rather skeptical until a more reputable site posts about it on a date other than 4/1.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:54 PM
glassartist
• •
p.1 #8 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Actually, I work in mergers here in NYC and have heard about a deal from my friends who know I'm into cameras. Some of them worked on the deal to refinance the debt on Olympus imaging products, mostly the medical side but it's a small world out there in imaging finance. They did tell me some big deal was going down in Q2. This makes sense.

I love it . . . so you heard from some friends who told you something that they know some about some deal in some corollary area some time in the (some) nearly future . . . on April 1st?

Solid.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:58 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

glassartist wrote:
I love it . . . so you heard from some friends who told you something that they know some about some deal in some corollary area some time in the (some) nearly future . . . on April 1st?

Solid.

Obviously it's an april first joke.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:09 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Not yet, where we are...we'll laugh about it tomorrow

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kenyee
• • •
p.1 #11 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

...sucka :-)

Not even close to reality :-)

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Now that 43rumors.com has posted this....and made sure to wait for April 1 to do so,I think we can call this a verified April Fools.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:33 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

I hate April fools. It's the one time of year unfunny people get to demonstrate how unfunny they are.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:35 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

snapsy wrote:
I hate April fools. It's the one time of year unfunny people get to demonstrate how unfunny they are.

You bet, and this day is a nightmare for someone who works in the news like myself.

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

I will be very interested to hear if this is an April Fool's gag (seeing as I am heavily invested in µ4/3rds—then I though, hang on—even if it's true, that will not change how the cameras and lenses work at all).

So, posting to see what transpires April 2!

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:16 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

- the markets should shut down on April 1. What a gong show. I don't suffer "fools" so I hate this day.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

43rumors has already changed to 'April Fools Joke' on their reporting. A lot of comments somewhat rightly pointed out that a joke like this, if taken seriously, could actually cause damage to Panasonic (and even Olympus). People were cancelling preorders for lenses and the like. "It was an April Fool's Joke" doesn't hold up in court very well if Panasonic were to file a lawsuit against those reporting this as fact.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:17 PM
JonPB
• •
p.1 #18 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

Example of a poorly crafted April 1st rumor: "Well, everything you fear is about to come true. Sell you gear, delete this bookmark, and best luck next time."

Example of what might have been a decently crafted April 1st rumor: "Well, everything you had hoped for is about to come true--and that's only for starters. Keep reading this site!"

Something simple like "better than Foveon! New sensor records 15 usable bits per pixel for four channels--not just RGB, but RBGW! Having a dedicated luminance channel means native black & white. High resolution color data means not only better tonality but also more accurate autofocus on low contrast surfaces and much, much better tracking of objects. It makes sense because even phase detect autofocus can't make use of color data, but this new sensor can!"

Or, perhaps, "Brand X announces spherical sensor. Having a curved sensor eliminates focal plane curvature, coma, and astigmatism. Lenses for this system can be both cheaper and higher quality: to drive the point home, the two kit zooms and three fast primes announced with the system each cost no more than $199, even the 35mm f/0.95 that one reviewer said 'made the Otus look like a classical lens from the 1950s.' Furthermore, the curve of the sensor improve heat dissipation, which will be of interest to people who use long exposures, such as astrophotographers."

Or, perhaps a more cynical view: "Brand Y releases new point and shoot camera with authentic-looking, retro-inspired knobs on every surface that spin and click but which are guaranteed to not ruin or otherwise change the final image. To further prove that Brand Y photographers are serious about their photography, included in each box are five certificates and one acrylic trophy declaring the purchaser of the Brand Y camera to be the winner of various international photo contests."

Meh. Seems like a hum-drum April 1st to me. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:16 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Panasonic leaving m4/3?

In the age of Web 2.0, smartphones, the "always connected" mentality along with rolling time zones, most any April 1st tomfoolery is dead on arrival.

It's been done to death.

Apr 01, 2014 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password