after "the usual" for the Winter.

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 04:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 04:32 AM
BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

Stopped down to F4,

This lens is very close to a Leica Summitar or Collapsible Summicron in sharpness and rendering. And for $20, with a Kodak Instamatic Reflex on the back of it- no complaints.

The Nikkor 25cm F4: rare lens, "antique consignment shop", was under $100 with the N-F tube. Great glass, well-used. Also bought a Nikon M "no sync" along with it. So i know which camera it started off life with. The Nikon M was made in 1950, stamped "Made in Occupied Japan".

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 04:38 AM
OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

mine is on a Kodak Retina Reflex S but it and the camera are getting a cla (grin)
I have a F-adapter too but will be using it on the retina ...call it my nostalgic phase and hope I get over it.

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:08 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

This one is the last version- uses 52mm filters, and will focus to 2ft.

I also have the Retina Reflex-S and Retina IIIS, they have the earlier version that uses 58mm filters, go to 3ft, and have the RF cam. Great cameras, and the lenses are first rate. I'll try to work in some more from the Tele-Arton and Curtagon.

A lot of retina Reflex prisms suffer from the silver deteriorating: mine did. I found by sheer luck that the pentaprism from the Minolta XG fits it perfectly, and is very bright. Ended up replacing it myself, was very easy as the shutter advance is on the bottom of the camera, and no hot-shoe. Easier to find a good prism from a Minolta XG than from a Retina.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:23 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

This is an older shot with the 85mm F4 Tele-Arton on the Kodak IIIS. This lens will work with the adapter shown, and will work with the Reflex-S. Earlier (up to ~1964) Kodak Retina S-lenses had a rangefinder Cam, frameline-Cam, and worked on the SLR's. The 90/4 Tele-Arton seems to be even a little better, but will not work on the IIIS. the 35/2.8 Curtagon is also very good.

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:43 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

The 90/4 Tele-Arton, wide-open on the Df. This is closest focus. a not-so-close 6ft, the weak point of the Retina Telephoto lenses.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:58 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

This is with an inexpensive -and old- Nikon K1 extension ring. This is the shortest extension ring made for F-Mount. Gives the Arton a range of about 3ft to 8ft.

Wide-Open, min focus with the K1 ring.

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 07:27 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:01 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

90/4 Arton, wide-open, flare-test. Another walk at Sunset.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:04 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

90/4 Arton, Stopped down a little, no extension ring.

Neighborhood 19th century graveyard.

These lenses can usually be found at good prices, classic German quality.

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:05 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

BrianVS wrote:
These lenses can usually be found at good prices, classic German quality.

so tell every idiot on ebay that if they would like to sell a retina lens for $250 that it aint gonna happen.

Its tipping the point now. Even if I want a filmback for an RB67 I feel like writing to the guy to tell him that if he wants me to buy it then he will have to pay me for the lightseal kit and then the hours to remove the gunk and then apply the seals. They are all nutz and think that old means valuable ...well they can have my grandpa and he has plenty of leaks.

Apr 02, 2014 at 08:15 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon alt lens on Nikon camera

This is where "old fashion camera shows", camera forums, and used camera shops have the edge, and some of the better Ebay sellers.

I've gotten some real bargains on Ebay, but usually from waiting it out or dealing with reasonable sellers. Some needed a good cleaning, but $90 for a 5cm f1.5 Sonnar- I'll clean it.

The Tele-Arton was $30 in a used camera shop, a while ago.

Remember- "Separating a fool and their junk is expensive" or something like that.

I went to a Photorama show last year, picked up a Schneider Xenar 50/2.8, wartime coated lens for $30. Turned out to be an unusual 5 element design, made it into a Leica mount lens. When I asked how much the lens was, the owner told me "Oh, that one is expensive." He had just priced Zeiss 50/3.5 Tessar in Exakta mount for $10.

$30. One member on another forum told me I should not waste my time at these junk shows....

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.