New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Processing techniques for landscapes

I'm trying to improve my methods, or you might say finding more and better ways of squeezing blood from a turnip .
I've greatly improved my methods in RAW, by reading some of Scott Kelby's books, and looking at as many images as I can, especially here, which is always an eye opening experience.
Its funny too I'll take a look at the images here and see a great one and show it to my family. But most of the time theres just not much response, maybe an ooh or ahh, but in general not much reaction.
Does it take a photographer or one interested in photography too appreciate a good image ?
Anyways, would you know of some good processing techniques or sites to go to for more insight into the depths of photoshopping good landscapes into great landscapes ?
Or even point me to Good landscape photographers ?

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:29 AM
wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Processing techniques for landscapes

I have found Steve Perry's videos on You Tube very helpful, for tips and tricks. http://www.backcountrygallery.com

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:37 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Q1: Does it take a photog to appreciate a good photo?

Yes and No. Yes, because someone who has "been there, done that" knows how hard it is. Someone who has not been there but has seen thousands of images takes them for granted.

I don't know basketball. As I watch Youtube videos of great NBA slam dunks, I get less and less impressed. Seems like a lot of guys can do it a lot of the time. No big deal. But I bet a young college player can't get enough of them and thinks they are all great.

No, because the more you learn and practice the easier it is to recognize mediocre work. Rookies are easily impressed. I'm not a wine connoisseur but I like wine. I like about 90% of the wines I get. An advanced wine connoisseur likes less than 10% of the wines they taste, because they can see the faults in everything.

Q2: Good Landscape Photogs?

The Lanscape Photographer forum here at Miranda is a pretty good source. Luminous Landscape, of course, is the perennial source for landscapes.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/index.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/

The 500px site is a great soruce for samples. Better than most because it's voting/ranking system keeps the really good stuff up front so you don't have to wade through junk.

http://500px.com/

Q3: Techniques?

HDR has become dominant in landscape photography. Either true multi-bracket HDR, or advanced and extensive tonemapping of single exposure images. So:

1. Learn HDR
2. Learn tonemapping techniques. Luminosity masking, local contrast adaptation, etc.
3. Learn advanced color controls. Saturation (with masking). When you stop using Hue/Sat you know you are advancing. Learn camera profiling.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:52 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Processing techniques for landscapes

There are many techniques and tools being used for landscape photography. It really depends on what you want to acheive and understanding what important aethetics, light, composition a good landscape photo already obtained by the photographer in camera beforehand and enhanced with the help of post processing.

Can you provide examples of what you want to achieve?

Also no offense to redcrown, but my advice is don't waste your time with HDR (meaning HDR software to me). I'm sure most top level landscape photographers do not use this techinique and for the ones that do you probably wouldn't even notice it unless they told you. I looked at your flickr and it seems like you applied it a few times. If you're trying to squeeze out more dynamic range through blending your efforts may be better using manual blending techniques. Luminousity blending is a great tool. Just google Tony Kuyper. Of course there are other ways to do it manual yourself with photoshop and might suit you better.

Again what do you want to acheive and how much of it has to do with post processing rather than other aspects mentioned earlier that contributes to a strong landscape photograph?

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:54 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Again Don't waste your time with HDR. I'll second Boingyman and urge you to try Tony Kuyper's site. Alot can be done using luminosity masks. Instead of HDR you can take bracketed shots and through Luminosity masks get the most out of your files. On Tony's tutorial page there are a number of links to other photographers whose advise can help you in the processing.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:54 PM
iros

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Thanks for the link @wswartzwel! I love his blue skies video from a couple of days ago.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Been to Tony Kuyper's quite a few times and bought some of his actions for Photoshop, but despite all the reading, just can't get my head around the luminosity masks.
Used them a few times, but to me it seemed for all the effort, the results If I could see any at all just weren't that impressive. But like I said maybe I was just not using them correctly.
I went over all his tutorials till I was pretty much overwhelmed. I also conversed with him a few times by email, very helpful person indeed, but I think he could tell I just wasn't getting it.
I'll have to try again, but are they really that essential to a good image ?

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Processing techniques for landscapes

If you haven't been to his site recently, he now has some video tutorials.

Apr 01, 2014 at 03:24 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Processing techniques for landscapes

Just out of curiousity, how many of you use Luminosity masks ? To me it seems like a very complex way of getting only to certain tones in the image.
I did email Tony and he did state you really do need to think tonally about an image. Not sure If I really know how to do that or learn how to actually.
Tonally to me at least seems more suited to Black and White, which I suppose in a way a mask is. Confusing to me at least.

Apr 02, 2014 at 09:04 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Processing techniques for landscapes

A quick scroll through your flickr made something obvious to me. You don't shoot in good light. Get out at dusk/dawn and I bet you'll be making images that you're much happier with.

Apr 02, 2014 at 09:47 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Processing techniques for landscapes

I guess that could be one of the factors, which may be why If you noticed I'm trying to get out earlier. But thats for landscapes. For wildlife(especailly birds) you need better light. Yes for landscapes I think anything but midday sun is quite usable. I particularly like especially cloudy day with just hints of sun. Most often though I just shoot when I can, and means not always in the best of light.

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Processing techniques for landscapes

as for websites, I personally don't ever go to luminous landscapes. I actually don't frequent many other than here and 500px - but lately I have been doing a ton (read: shit load ) of research for my crazy trip in 10 days, so not a lot of time.

In any case, I have the new Kuyper actions. He updated them to work with CS5 and newer. If you don't have the updated ones, email him. The videos that explain how to use them is FOUND HERE. Really is the best video to explain these.

Me personally, HDR is a waste of time - and hopefully that trend is dying. Blending is so much better, but takes more time to master. I use a combo of Nik software, kuyper actions and CS6. I have what you would call a erratic workflow. No two images are the same, so why work them like they are?

Trail and error is the best way. Remember, most everyones RAW files look the same! TWO most important factors are lighting and compositions. You can't fix those in post process.

I am NO pro by any stretch, so take my opinions with a shot of makers mark. Here is a shot from last spring. It is a 3 or 4 shot blend, focus blending if you will.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5fz-xlqzqpA/UXblFJnAtaI/AAAAAAAAH0c/FzNabemcC_8/s800/Columbia-Resting.jpg

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.