Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

Had a few threads here about tough/underwater cams so thought this was interesting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/31/shockproof-flagship-olympus-drops-new-tough-tg-3

Most interesting thing to me is the LED ring flash and if it works on the older models. Also nice this one was GPS And Wifi built in. Flash Air cards work pretty well though with Olympus and their native app. Looks like this model supports full control and live view display on android/iOS. Fyi though, wifi does not penetrate water at all very well so this might not work well for say a LifeProof case + TG-3.

I do wish it had a 1/1.7 sensor.

As far as optics go, I believe these probably have the best in the segment. Most others use a internal folded mirror design to stay thin, the TG series are a bit fatter but always have a pretty fast lens.

Not clear if the LED ring flash is waterproof... I hope so. If it supports the rich time lapse features that the E-M1 has, that would be pretty amazing for a compact camera. For a tough cam, that could really mean some very cool time lapse underwater coral photos...

This part certainly sounds very interesting

The Variable Macro System includes the Microscope mode to capture photos up to 10mm away from subjects, and at a focal length of 100mm, the lens magnifies subjects up to 6.9x and up to 13.8x with Super Resolution Zoom. With that power, a subject only 1mm in size is magnified up to a maximum of approximately 44.4mm when displayed on the rear LCD screen. The Olympus STYLUS TOUGH TG-3 reveals a new world of detail not visible to the naked eye, like the veins on a leaf or a snowflake.

The new Focus Stacking function captures eight different shots continuously, while shifting the focus from the foreground to the background. It extracts and merges only those areas of each image that are in focus and produces a single photo with a focus that spans several centimeters. Focus bracketing is also available for post-processing. Underwater Macro, a new Scene Mode option, uses the Olympus STYLUS TOUGH TG-3ís powerful macro photography capabilities to optimize the white balance, color saturation and contrast in underwater scenes.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:24 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

Wow that sure is interesting. I can't see any reason the ring "flash" wouldn't be waterproof, it's not a flash but a light "guide" which only redirects the light coming from internal flash.

Does this have the same sensor size than the TG-2?

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:31 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

Would of indeed been great if it had 1/1.7 sensor, but with the same pinhead sensor as the rest of the cameras, I think the optics really aren't the weak link, but rather the tiny sensor is, and the massive detail smearing processing they do, even at base ISO in good light.

Faster lens helps a little of course, but its just that even at base ISO, IQ isn't a strong point of any of these camera's.

Ring flash and macro features are interesting, though a bit odd to me in a way, as I don't know if that is something very many users have been asking for.

Its not like your going to be doing stacked macro shots on a tripod while snorkeling after all. For above water usage, just seems a bit odd to want to pull out the waterproof compact and stick it on a tripod (or try to handhold it) and shot details on the veins of leaves etc.

Just seems like the real macro enthusiast would likely prefer working with something like the simply fantastic 60mm macro they make, with the far better IQ of a m4/3 body.

Likewise, underwater, the flash really isn't going to have much power either. Cool feature for closeup shots just the same

WiFi totally makes sense, but I think they really should of tried to add something of a more across the board "wow" factor on this camera to make it stand out from the segmetn and the TG2

Larger sensor for example, thus better IQ, or add the tilt LCD screen like the TG850 has.

Tilt screen would be a natural fit for its new macro shooting ability

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:03 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

It does have a nice new sensor from the tg1 and tg2, 16mpx.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:30 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

FlyPenFly wrote:
It does have a nice new sensor from the tg1 and tg2, 16mpx.

Which actually is a step in the wrong direction, as they upped it to 16meg from the previous 12 megs, yet its still the tiny 1/2.3.

If its the same sensor as the TG850, also 16meg BSI, then its IQ is about on par with an iPhone 5s. The amount of detail smearing from the processing is off the charts.

Still of course looks okay for web and such, but its the wrong direction to be heading.

Something like an 8meg 1/1.7 with larger photo site sizes would be a much better way to go, as 16megs is overkill for web and such anyways, and all you've got is "high" resolution of an impressionist painting at 100% view.

For something designed for underwater usage, less density and a larger sensor, paired with the fast-ish lens would prove far more beneficial.

To date though, getting a sub $200 housing for the Sony RX100 still is the way to go for getting actually decent IQ while underwater from a compact camera. The fact you can shoot RAW with the RX100 also is pretty darn useful for color balance issues. Sadly in the housing its hardly a camera to throw in your pocket though

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

It's extremely frustrating there's no raw Output I think.

There is a lot to be said though about not having to check and pack a water tight housing.

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:41 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

The lack of raw option is pretty weird imo. Even many mobile phones have it already. Underwater shots have some crazy white balances and it's pita to correct in jpg.

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:51 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

For the typical P&S waterproof I could see the omission of RAW, but to me, the TG1/2/3 is sort of position to be higher than that, so you'd think RAW would be included.

I think RAW alone would push a lot of people to buy this over something like the Nikon AW line

Really too, what does it cost them to give it RAW ? Nothing, so a totally unique, and very demanded, feature that should of been included.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:06 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus TG-3, RingFlash, F2.0 25mm, 15 meter, GPS, Wifi

I'm sure on some product managers matrix deck they specifically forced the engineers to not include it because they sell water housings for the OMD line.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password