FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

During my recent photo trip to the Southwest of Arizona and Utah, I undertook the False Kiva. I am not a seasoned hiker and it took lots of courage to go there and stay all night, alone!

While I was shivering from the cold wind and strange and scary sounds echoed in the cave, I noticed a slivering moonlight was slipping through the rocks side of the False Kiva. That sight was very beautiful, and welcoming. But the slippage of the moonlight was like those many slippage I had through scrambling rocks to get to the False Kiva!

Beautiful moonlight was a true moonlight sonata!

----
Full moon was on March 16, and 97% moon was on the night this image was taken, March 17, 2014.
Moonrise was around 8:57pm and this image was taken at 11:39pm.
Camera: Nikon D800, Lens: Nikkor 24-70 at 55mm. ISO 1250, -2EV, f2.8, 25s

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Kee,
Your perspective and composition have potential, but it looks to me as though you emphasized focus on the distance parts of the composition instead of the kiva.
The foreground is quite out of focus imo.
I did some repair work that seemed to help.
PM me if you want me to post the edit.
Charlie

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:40 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Good for you, Kee. What a great experience.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:04 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Kee,
Your perspective and composition have potential, but it looks to me as though you emphasized focus on the distance parts of the composition instead of the kiva.
The foreground is quite out of focus imo.
I did some repair work that seemed to help.
PM me if you want me to post the edit.
Charlie

Absolutely, Charlie. Please post the edited image, by all means. Thanks a lot.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:08 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

psharvic wrote:
Good for you, Kee. What a great experience.

When I look back, I was doing things in a very irrational way. So many things were done out of norm.
But.. as you say, it was an awesome experience. Thanks a lot.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

With Kee's permission: my edit of her image.
Please note, Kee (and others), I make no claim to having particular processing skills, but over the years I've had to learn some basic steps to improve the presentation of my slide scans because of the problems incurred by my scanner. Loss of sharpness has been one of the problems.
The following edit may not be much of an improvement from the original (and it might introduce other problems), but each person can be the judge of that.
Kee- here goes :
Charlie

edit

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Charlie Shugart wrote:
With Kee's permission: my edit of her image.
Please note, Kee (and others), I make no claim to having particular processing skills, but over the years I've had to learn some basic steps to improve the presentation of my slide scans because of the problems incurred by my scanner. Loss of sharpness has been one of the problems.
The following edit may not be much of an improvement from the original (and it might introduce other problems), but each person can be the judge of that.
Kee- here goes :
Charlie

Hello Charlie,
Quite an improvement, indeed! I like your edited version a lot. Thanks! How did you do that? I struggled to have the foreground sharpened but failed... and I just made all the excuses.. wind blowing, f2.8, moonlight moves fast, my hands were not working right with freezing cold, etc... Thanks.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Moonlight Slippage at False Kiva

Glad you like the edit, Kee.
Basically I did some careful sharpening of the whole image. And then isolated the OOF and too-dark areas and did some VERY careful sharpening and some work with the brightness and contrast tools.
If you'd like me to take you through it step-by-step, just PM me and we'll do that.
I wasn't at the scene, of course, but it looks like you had the focus set on the distant objects and not on the kiva (as I previously stated).
If that's true, then that was probably your basic focus/sharpness problem.
When shooting wide open (hand-held?) you should almost always concentrate on focusing on the closer part of the composition- especially when it's the most important part. And switch to manual focusing if necessary.
Charlie
Oh, a tripod would have eased the problems - even a light weight one would have helped .

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.