Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1st critique p.2

laurenlizana

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st critique p.2

Part 2 Of my first ever photo shoot with my daughter.. Used a broken GE X5..

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:16 AM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st critique p.2

LOVE #2!!!

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:27 AM
Easy Money

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st critique p.2

#1 I would take down the highlights as most of the subject and the windows the back are blown out. #2 is nice, leaves the viewer wondering what she is looking at. #3 I would crop tighter and get rid of the bench in the background, it doesn't add anything of value. Also maybe try bringing up some of the shadows in the plant. #4 seems a bit soft and out of focus, almost washed out. Maybe it's my screen? But I love the pose, and once again a tighter crop to might work here as well. #5 looks great in black and white, but the blown out window in the back is a bit distracting, and actually covers up part of the face. The area to the right seems like dead space, and can be taken out. Also keep in mind it is off centered, maybe you were going for an artistic look?

Sounds like you have a fun model here to work with! And great job, pretty good for a broken camera!

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:13 AM
Njsnyder

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st critique p.2

#1 and #4 both seem the highlights are over exposed. #3 does not seem exposed on her face and #4 is just plain grainy and the mailbox is in the background.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:05 PM
laurenlizana

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st critique p.2

Hehe my husband read the last comment and said.. Like you would notice a mailboxyour a mom not a professional..

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st critique p.2

What do you mean by a broken camera?
Btw, you don't need to spend a lot for a used body in good working condition

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM
laurenlizana

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1st critique p.2

Umm batteries blew up inside, does not turn on and off properly i get maybe 1/2 the shots i try for.. The preview does a weird fast forward that locks that camera and you have to pull the batteries and turn it on then off for the lens to close

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:00 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1st critique p.2

OK, so the camera sounds like a mess. And maybe that has something to do with the range of exposures, errors above.
Shifting to compositions:
Keep in mind I am hardly a portrait photographer and others are much better to address posing.
1. Very cute. She appears a bit awkwardly posed with the legs out to one side, tension on her hands. Nonetheless I think the immediacy of her expression wins out. I dont think the area beneath the bench offers anything, so I might crop to the bottom of the bench, then take some from the right, less from the left to rebalance the image.
2. Very nice, wistful, evocative. Consider cropping from bottom and right to bring the diagonal line right into the corner.
3. Awkward pose, does not appear relaxed. Hard to do with a kid aware of the camera. One of the reasons I gravitate towards candids.
4. Again, strange pose. Bent at the waist pointing one directions, but then the legs, knees seem to be trying to recover balance.
5. Interesting image.Pose seems a bit more relaxed and the play of light is interesting. I think BW was a good choice.

I would await others suggestions on how to pose kids, but concentrate on having the camera out and ready while your daughter is playing, or distracted by her mother, a friend, a dog, a balloon. Yes, and watch for extraneous background items like mailboxes, branches from the head, etc. Mistakes we all make.

Scott

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Njsnyder

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1st critique p.2

laurenlizana wrote:
Hehe my husband read the last comment and said.. Like you would notice a mailboxyour a mom not a professional..

I wasn't trying to be offensive. Just was letting you know what I saw.

On that note picture 5 is not level on the horizontal plane. While this can be done creatively it's not enough of an angle to be dramatic enought

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password