Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1st critique

laurenlizana

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st critique

Honestly this was my first time really doing this... I want do this as on the weekends for extra money but i'm not sure if i'm good enough with the crappy GE X5 I have to spend 1200$ on a new camera.. I feel If you guys think they are good enough I just may go ahead and get a new camera and try for an apprenticeship.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:10 AM
beavens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st critique

Lauren,

Welcome to the Critique subforum! You'll find a ton of super helpful and knowledgeable people here. Hopefully I'll be there one day!

1st - Good composition, slightly tighter crop might benefit. Image is on the flatter side, so maybe a boost in vibrance or working with a more shallow depth of field next time could give the subject more pop.

2nd - Subject out of focus and cropped too tightly on the left-hand side, leading to a too much negative space on the right-hand side. Highlights blown out on dress and ledge.

3rd - Slightly blown-out highlights and image appears to be tilted.

4th - Blown-out highlights on the subject with some blurring around her feet. Tighter crop would put more focus on your subject and not the tree behind her. Slightly awkward cropping on the toes near the bottom.

5th - Background sky seems to be overexposed and the tone seems to have some kinda of sepia look to it - almost like an Instagram filter. Slight vignetting on the bottom corners.

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative, because the end-goal is definitely to be constructive.

Also take my critiques with a grain of salt - I'm not terribly experienced with portraits.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:39 PM
laurenlizana

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st critique

Thanks jeff I appreciate it

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st critique

First, welcome
Second, Jeff has already provided some excellent feedback
I don't know the camera, but I think you have a few steps to go in terms of composition and even more so technical control over settings, processing before you can apprentice.
Fear not. There is a ton to learn here. I am proof.
Aside from compositional feedback, what stands out most is trouble with overexposure, color casts and saturation. Only the first seems technically within range and acceptable. Are you shooting JPEG? Raw?
Do you have a processing program where you might start reviewing a histogram, exposure, highlight and shadow adjustments? Does your camera have a histogram display on the LCD for immediate feedback about exposure?
If you can explain what you are familiar with and some of the tools you currently have, more specific advice could be offered

Scott

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

laurenlizana

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st critique

It was all natural light. As for the GE X5.. It is a 4 or 5 yr old point and shoot. I mean I can tone them down but I think it looks kinda cool..

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:04 AM
ric55usmc

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st critique

You don't need to spend $1200 on a new camera. You can get a used canon 40D for around $200. Slap on a nifty fifty and you've got a portrait cam for around $300 with all the functionality and control of a DSLR, not to mention way better image quality. Just my two cents.

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1st critique

First, a warm welcome to FM!

I don't know that I can add much new to the comments of others, except that the blocked up areas jump out at me. My limited experiences suggest bright yellow and bright red are extremely difficult to render properly - drive the sensor nuts. Yellows are way over the top here.

Only you can judge if the final looks works for you. That said, for pay, remember the only thing that matters is what the client likes, your opinion does not count.

And, if you pursue this beyond a casual area of interest and hobby, you should hone post-processing skills to achieve optimal results. I don't know what you used, but I think it safe to say out-of-camera or Picasa will not suffice over the variety of conditions you will encounter. And, as already mentioned, there are many great cameras out there, research them, select one you think will work for you, and above all, learn to use it well - practice, practice, practice. Otherwise, you'll fall into the money pit as have so many before you (myself included) - the person behind the lens produces the images, not the gear itself.

Again, welcome, please share more images with the community. We all learn form each other in a friendly, constructive, and supportive environment. Hope I don't come off as preaching, but these are suggestions and opinions from my experiences posed for your consideration

-Best,

Bob

<later> If you are in the market for a small, compact, killer camera, might I suggest a used Fuji X100s? Not the eco-system required for a DSLR, takes excellent images - check it out on the web.

My 2

Bob

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:43 PM
felipey

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1st critique

I second the x100s, it's a great camera that produces solid straight out of camera pictures until you develop your post processing skills.

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password