Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

Ssteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

Looking for a wide angle for my eventual a6000, and looking to see if anyone has any feedback on the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens for Sony E Mount on a nex5/6/7?

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:58 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

1. It performs quite well, but the barrel distortion is still somewhat visible.
2. It's ginormous in this context.

For similar cost, the Sony 16/2.8 is actually rather good (some issues in the very extreme corners but that's it) and has an available 0.75x wide adapter that causes no optical degradation. So 12mm and 16mm in a small package with the occasional corner issue or 14mm in a massive package with sharp corners and moderate distortion.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Ssteve

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

That's what I was debating on purchasing. So I think I'll stick with the 16mm since I wouldn't mind playing with the fisheye adapter as well.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

The 16mm is better than the onslaught of bad forum press would lead you to believe; but it is not in the same league as the 14 2.8

The one thing that bugged me about the 14 was the forever-long focus throw; the helicoid is finer than it needs to be for such a wide lens IMO.

Plus, the 14 does not take filters..

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:25 PM
Ssteve

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

After looking into it more I pulled the trigger on the 16, with wide and fisheye converters. Even if there was a night and day difference, the no filters on the 14mm killed it for me since I use nd's a lot as well as cpl's from time to time.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone with rokinon 14mm 2.8 on a nex?

I think that's a solid choice -- I find the 16 very usable. IF anything, the wide adapter improves it, which is a nice surprise.

The real competition from Rokinon is the new 12/2 that they've announced. Remains to be seen how good it is (probably not as good as the 14/2.8, since it's a much smaller lens designed for a crop frame), but it's a step in a welcome direction.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.