Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Thanks for the suggestions. This is very helpful. I am going to look more closely at the Zeiss ZF. I do recall reading about the Zeiss 21 ZE when I shot Canon so I assume the only difference is mount. Need to read a bit more. Now, if I go with F mount, which adapter should I get? Thanks!

Mar 31, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #2 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. This is very helpful. I am going to look more closely at the Zeiss ZF. I do recall reading about the Zeiss 21 ZE when I shot Canon so I assume the only difference is mount. Need to read a bit more. Now, if I go with F mount, which adapter should I get? Thanks!

The canon version doesn't have an aperture ring where the nikon versions do.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:27 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

And the Nikon version turns like Nikon lenses for the aperture ring and focus, if you care

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:44 PM
taemo
• •
p.2 #4 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

I went with the OM 21mm 3.5 instead of the FD 20mm 2.8 because of the size.
both are fantastic performers on the A7, the OM is smaller on size and filter diameter (49mm vs 72mm) but also 1.5x more expensive than the FD.

For macro, I decided to buy an FD 50mm 3.5 with 25mm tube which will allow me 1:1 shots for under $100

Mar 31, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Dpedraza wrote:
The canon version doesn't have an aperture ring where the nikon versions do.

Thanks. So is the benefit of this that you can use a "dumb" adapter whereas if the lens does not have the aperture ring you need electronics in the adapter so the camera can set the aperture? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Dudewithoutape wrote:
And the Nikon version turns like Nikon lenses for the aperture ring and focus, if you care

If you don't, you can get the Contax.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:15 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #7 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

a suggestion is the NIKON 55mm 2.8, there exists a nikon to nex adaptor, which works on the a 7, it is largish but the lens is small.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #8 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox wrote:
Thanks. So is the benefit of this that you can use a "dumb" adapter whereas if the lens does not have the aperture ring you need electronics in the adapter so the camera can set the aperture? Thanks.

Basically you don't need an adapter with electronics to control your aperture. The plus about the canon is if you get one of the smart adapters you'll have exif info. Too bad sony didn't do like Nikon allow you to enter lens info into your camera. I love that feature.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Steve Spencer wrote:
The ZF us the modern Zeiss in Nikon mount. At KEH you would find them under Nikon Manual Focus other manufacturer primes. There are quite a few if them around. My opinion is that they are a quite nice lens and although some prefer the Olympus OM 18 for it's across the frame sharpness I personally like the micro contrast of the Zeiss. Jim Colwell has a comparison of the lenses you might find in the archive. I think either is nicer than the FD 20.

Steve / Others,
I have been researching the Zeiss 21 and it seems that this lens is much more available used in the EF mount. Is there any reason I should not go that route vs the Nikon mount? And then which adapter would you recommend? It seems that the Metabones adapters have mixed reviews and some people report that the adapter has damaged the A7 body mount.

Thanks!

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:48 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Hi Patrick,

I have the ZE and love it. Some positive of using it on the A7(r) is that you will have auto-aperture and EXIF data which is nice and as you say it is typically more available as a ZE. The negatives are that the ZE is a bit bigger than the ZF and that the adapters for EOS mount are fairly big and expensive. There is also the issue about which way you turn the lens for focussing (and setting the aperture for ZF). The metabones vIII seems to be what most people use around here, but check the thread currently going on other adapters as there is a big list there and they vary in price quite a bit.

The main reason I suggested ZF, however, was for the cheap and very good macros that are available in F mount. You won't have quite the same option in EOS mount, but one lens that is available that also happens to be quite small (and in this way a good match for the A7s) is the Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO. With the included close up lens it actually focusses to 1:1.8 magnification and it is a very nice lens and not terribly expensive. Used they sell in the $400 to $500 range.

Apr 02, 2014 at 02:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #11 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox wrote:
Steve / Others,
I have been researching the Zeiss 21 and it seems that this lens is much more available used in the EF mount. Is there any reason I should not go that route vs the Nikon mount? And then which adapter would you recommend? It seems that the Metabones adapters have mixed reviews and some people report that the adapter has damaged the A7 body mount.

Thanks!

Maybe more 21ZE's are being replaced by the 17 or 24 TS-E's? The main advantage of the Nikon mount is that you do not need an EF-Nex adapter with electrical contacts (you can use a cheaper EOS-Nex) because it has a manual aperture ring - whereas the Canon's aperture is electronically controlled. That is a 200-300 dollar savings in adapter.
Dave

Apr 02, 2014 at 02:21 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

I know Dave know this but just a minor correction. For the ZF you need a Nikon F mount to NEX adapter and not an EOS-Nex adapter. If you follow the other thread some of the EOS-NEX adapters with electronic contacts are quite a bit cheaper (<100), but no one seems to know yet how good they are. The more commonly used metabones MKIII is $399 new I believe.

Apr 02, 2014 at 03:09 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #13 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Steve Spencer wrote:
I know Dave know this but just a minor correction. For the ZF you need a Nikon F mount to NEX adapter and not an EOS-Nex adapter. If you follow the other thread some of the EOS-NEX adapters with electronic contacts are quite a bit cheaper (<100), but no one seems to know yet how good they are. The more commonly used metabones MKIII is $399 new I believe.

Oops - you are right - had Canon on the brain. (And I would not posted my duplicate answer but we were writing replies at the same time). FWIW I have the 21 ZE, was balking at a 400 dollar adapter but now decided to try one of the newer cheaper electronic EOS EF-NEX adapters and will report back when it arrives.
Dave

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:10 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Here is a good link for all things Zeiss
The Current Datasheets covers the existing ZE/ZF SLR lenses (as well as ZM and Touits)
The Historic Datasheets cover the old Contax lenses that are very often referred to. There are only a couple of missing datasheets. It also has Contax G but the WA are not a good match and there are no macro lenses in that range.

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/service/download_center.html

Mike

Apr 02, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

dbehrens wrote:
Maybe more 21ZE's are being replaced by the 17 or 24 TS-E's? The main advantage of the Nikon mount is that you do not need an EF-Nex adapter with electrical contacts (you can use a cheaper EOS-Nex) because it has a manual aperture ring - whereas the Canon's aperture is electronically controlled. That is a 200-300 dollar savings in adapter.
Dave

Thanks Dave. One thing I have noticed though is that Metabones seems to be holding back availability of their "cheaper" Nikon F adapters. Of course their $429 speed booster is available. There are other adapters but the thing I like about the Metabones is the tripod foot. That seems important if you have a big piece of glass sitting out in front of an adapter. Maybe I should just go Canon...Decisions, Decisions...

Apr 02, 2014 at 12:35 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #16 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox wrote:
Thanks Dave. One thing I have noticed though is that Metabones seems to be holding back availability of their "cheaper" Nikon F adapters. Of course their $429 speed booster is available. There are other adapters but the thing I like about the Metabones is the tripod foot. That seems important if you have a big piece of glass sitting out in front of an adapter. Maybe I should just go Canon...Decisions, Decisions...

Although I believe the A7r has a stronger frame than the A7 (and I think I could get by without a tripod foot) I will definitely get an adapter that has the foot. Currently the one I'm thinking to buy is
here.
Dave

Apr 02, 2014 at 03:23 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Hey guys. Doing a bit more research on this. I am looking at the Zeiss 21 and 50 F2 macro. It's more than my original budget but I can manage it used. So on the mount, I like the idea of getting Exif data from the lens and also using the camera to set the aperture, (ZE mount) but then I started thinking about what would happen if I am out in the field and the adapter fails? Does that mean my shooting ends with any lens that requires that adapter/electronic connection? And then if I go ZF mount, does that remove that worry? So all the adapter is doing is allowing a connection between the lens and the body but no communications occur? And I just set aperture on the lens and adjust shutter speed/ISO on the body to get the exposure I want, correct? And also, on the Sony A7, with the ZF/ZF.2 am I essentially shooting full manual?

Thanks!

Apr 02, 2014 at 05:56 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

The Zeiss 21 is a great choice (although it's a big lens). I'm sure the Makro-Planar 50/2 is great too, but I've always found it difficult to get good results with a 50mm macro lens on a full frame camera. I have a strong preference for 90-100mm -- easier to get nice results, in my experience. The MP 50 would double as a great landscape lens though. I use my Zeiss 100/2.8 Makro-Planar a lot for landscape shots too though.

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Hi Patrick,

It is true that if the adapter fails that you will be out of luck if you go with the ZE versions. As long as the adapter works, it would be just like shooting these on a Canon camera. You compose and focus at full aperture and the camera (and adapter) stop down to the aperture you have chosen automatically. I really like composing and focusing at full aperture, so I like that feature.

With the ZF/ZF2 you can still compose and/or focus at full aperture, but if you do you have to stop down manually using the aperture ring before shooting. Alternatively you can just compose and focus at the aperture at which you want to shoot. You can use full manual mode, but you can use aperture priority mode and let the camera set the shutter speed after setting ISO yourself. If you use auto ISO, I think you can also set aperture and shutter speed and the camera will set the ISO for proper exposure. So it isn't full manual. You can use aperture priority and you can use auto ISO. You just can't use shutter speed priority mode or presumably any fully automatic modes like P mode, etc where the camera needs to set the aperture.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:07 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #20 · Sony A7 Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

Patrick Cox wrote:
Hey guys. Doing a bit more research on this. I am looking at the Zeiss 21 and 50 F2 macro. It's more than my original budget but I can manage it used. So on the mount, I like the idea of getting Exif data from the lens and also using the camera to set the aperture, (ZE mount) but then I started thinking about what would happen if I am out in the field and the adapter fails? Does that mean my shooting ends with any lens that requires that adapter/electronic connection? And then if I go ZF mount,
...Show more

The primary function for me is controlling the aperture. If you put a ZE lens on an adapter and it either has no electrical contacts or there is no electricity going to the contacts then the lens will remain wide open. So for the 21ZE it would operate but at f/2.8 only. This is why (in my mind) the ZF is a more robust and cheaper solution. I like the reliability of mechanical control.

Apr 02, 2014 at 06:08 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password