Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

giag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

So overall, the 35mm 2.8 ai-s is a winner in my book. sharp, good pleasing bokeh. It's just not a honkin 1.4 which probably has more distortion. I didn't have any issue with focus, all these were at 2.8 exept the grapes which were 5.6

Apr 01, 2014 at 06:44 AM
giag
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

last pic with the 35mm 2.8... the quintessential pastry shelves...

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:03 AM
giag
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

Some thoughts. This will probably be MORE clear as I get out the 50 1.2 and do some portraits but... there's a certain extra silky filmy quality about the s5 that I love. I see the same thing at times in the d700. It has somethign to do with dynamic range, but remember also every photosite is an interpolation on the s5 and I think that has something to do with it as well

Did the 35 have focus issues. Well maybe only in nailing perfect sharp and that's my shaky hands at 1/60 not the lens' fault. Maybe I just haven't used enough VR lenses to see that they always do so well, but as I showed here, even grabbing the trustworthy af-d again shakey hands can make a pic slightly less than sharp in fact those were the worst of all the shots!

Apr 01, 2014 at 07:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

Sorry, but these images are unacceptably soft. They just reinforce my view that the S5 Pro is unsuitable for MF lens use.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:58 AM
john saunders

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

I used to have an S5 and still miss it. I did, however, have trouble with softness with anything over iso 400, mf or af. I found that when I could balance manual focus with exposure just right, things would click, but working with the green dot, my small glasses (I never mastered the taking the glasses off then fiddling with the diopter maneuver), and the viewfinder made it pretty hit and miss. I use a d300 now and have reacquired a few dirt cheap manual focus lenses, which make for some interesting flares and fringing. The colours and texture of the S5 shots were really nice, but just darn soft too much of the time.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:15 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

While I really dig the colors and DR, in this day and age it is a camera to be used at base ISO, at least for me. It's already an effectively ~8MP sensor with no meaningful reserve for cropping; little detail retrieval is possible in over-exposed areas, so pushing the ISO to 400 or more already degrades this challenged image file.

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:47 PM
giag
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

rattymouse wrote:
Sorry, but these images are unacceptably soft. They just reinforce my view that the S5 Pro is unsuitable for MF lens use.

Now just a minute. These are resized to one quarter size and using a lens not known for sharpness. I think in light of that the pics aren't soft at all how can u call that soft?

I will concede on cropping limits that is true you really need the whole image for a nice print

To me, that scone isn't soft at all! Maybe I have to post the full size. Shheez u guys are relentless

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:09 PM
giag
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

john saunders wrote:
I used to have an S5 and still miss it. I did, however, have trouble with softness with anything over iso 400, mf or af. I found that when I could balance manual focus with exposure just right, things would click, but working with the green dot, my small glasses (I never mastered the taking the glasses off then fiddling with the diopter maneuver), and the viewfinder made it pretty hit and miss. I use a d300 now and have reacquired a few dirt cheap manual focus lenses, which make for some interesting flares and fringing. The colours and
...Show more

All my posts were pretty much at iso'800. From the charts I've seen it beats a d7000 up through 800 and d7000 also have big issues with turning to mush at 800 and 1600 although I've seen some clean shots but I never got them

My question is. Did you go in and adjust up sharpness and tone to the Max? I find that really helps. And also its something SR Rockwell apparently never did in his review

Apr 01, 2014 at 11:17 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

giag wrote:
Now just a minute. These are resized to one quarter size and using a lens not known for sharpness. I think in light of that the pics aren't soft at all how can u call that soft?

I will concede on cropping limits that is true you really need the whole image for a nice print

To me, that scone isn't soft at all! Maybe I have to post the full size. Shheez u guys are relentless

Soft is soft. It's that simple.

Apr 02, 2014 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

giag
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

if that scone is soft then so is every camera and lens nikon ever made

Apr 02, 2014 at 03:48 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

Point of focus seems to be on the signage in front of the scone. Or so it seems on my MacBook.

Apr 02, 2014 at 04:11 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

giag wrote:
if that scone is soft then so is every camera and lens nikon ever made

You are incorrect. Being bitter does not change the softness in these scenes.

Apr 02, 2014 at 04:32 AM
giag
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

grr I guess I'm the only user who still bothers with the S5.

Ok next I'm going to do a round with the 50 1.2 any requests?

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

I don't know, in several of these I see sharp areas. For the scone shot, the label for the scones is sharp, for the glasses the nose piece, for the girl, the text on the book, and so on. Some of the others hand motion blur. I think the problem isn't sharpness, but rather that the sharpness isn't where you want it. I also have this lens, and while it is no world-beater, it is not especially soft, even wide open.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

One 35/2.8 AI-S shot on the D3:

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:27 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

giag wrote:

There are still a few Fujifilm S3/S5 users around but it is not normally the first choice of cameras when out shooting.

I have 2 Fujifilm cameras that get occasional use. An S3 UV/IR which I use for Ultraviolet, colour and Infrared depending on which filter is on the front of the lens. I also have the S5 which gets some use but less than the S3.

The manual focus lenses I normally use are Zeiss ZFs, Nikkor UV 105mm, Coastal Optics 60mm, Nikon Series E 28mm . Soon I will be receiving a Kuribayashi 3.5 35mm to use for UV, colour and IR.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:42 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

giag wrote:

You are not. I also use an S5 Pro.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji S5 Pro and Nikon Manual Lenses

The S5 has a relatively heavy handed AA filter, probably to correct the sawtooth patterns that could be seen on diagonal lines with the S3, so sharpness isn't the most prominent feature of that camera. Still, the results can be very pleasing. Here are a few of shots (5 years old) with the 105mm f/1.8 AIS:

I still have both of these cameras and consider replacing the focusing screen in the S5 with one that has split screen/micro prism to make focusing easier.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password