New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · EF vs EF-S lenses

flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF vs EF-S lenses

I have a question regarding the two lenses. Do the EF-S lenses physically extend further into camera? I am not concerned about any vignetting or similar issues but only the physical differences.

If there is a physical difference, any photos showing the difference would be nice. I have searched the web, but I can't find anything.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Yes, the Canon EF-S lenses have a protrusion that prevents them from fitting on the FF or APS-H bodies and causing damage.

EBH

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF vs EF-S lenses

As EB says there is a protrusion further back on an EF-s lens . The s stands for SHORT BACK FOCUS .

On an EFs lens ther is normally a plastic ring which takes up this extra distance so that the rear element is not exposed when in its rear most point . Look on THE DIGITAL PICTURE and you will probably see a comparison .

Now some lenses will function on an EF mount if you are careful . The 10-22 is the best known for this as on an EF mount it can be used from around 13mm without hitting the mirror if you take that plastic ring off (it can be replaced with a standard one from a suitable lens to cover the gap left ) . But you have to make sure you don't zoom out too far . There is a fix for this as well , which involves a thin 'o' ring on the front element . This stops you zooming out too far but a
So stops you zooming past 20mm

The 10-22 doesn't vignette when zoomed far enough , but other lenses always do . The 17-55 never fills the image circle for example .

Now that only applies to Canon's EFs mount . Other 3rd party crop lenses are EF mount and will work fine on any canon body , but again each will have different vignetting characteristics according to the design .

Mar 30, 2014 at 02:10 AM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Thanks EBH and Ian. I thought that was the case but I was not certain. I stopped by a local camera store yesterday and they could not answer the question.

Mar 30, 2014 at 04:23 AM
scorpix

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Can confirm that EF-S physically extend. I was informed about it by a photo tech geek but did not see it in real life.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF vs EF-S lenses

scorpix wrote:
Can confirm that EF-S physically extend. I was informed about it by a photo tech geek but did not see it in real life.

Your post is ambiguous. The first sentence expresses confirmation and then the second sentence denies it.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:26 PM
scorpix

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Actually as I happen to have both I'll make pictures to compare. Just to see the difference.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF vs EF-S lenses

flyfishertoo wrote:
Do the EF-S lenses physically extend further into camera?

Yes, as nicely explained by others above.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:28 PM
scorpix

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Sorry for that. I meant that I can confirm on basis of hearing it from a professional. Not by witnessing it by myself.

And then I remembered that actually I have them both Just wait I'll take pictures and post them

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:29 PM
scorpix

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EF vs EF-S lenses

On the left side is EF-S, on the right EF lens.
EF-S is Canon 15-77 2.8 IS, EF is Canon 100 mm 2.8 macro

Link to bigger images
https://plus.google.com/photos/112942149727529688461/albums/5998137121074083889

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:38 PM
scorpix

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EF vs EF-S lenses

For some reason I cannot include images here.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:44 PM
scorpix

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EF vs EF-S lenses

ok got it finally Hope it helps. Also I was told that it is physically impossible to mount EF-S on full frame body. But to my eye the protrusion looks small. Could it be enough to hit the sensor on full frame body?

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EF vs EF-S lenses

scorpix wrote:
I was told that it is physically impossible to mount EF-S on full frame body. But to my eye the protrusion looks small. Could it be enough to hit the sensor on full frame body?

Nope; will not hit the sensor. The mount distance is the same. Simple inspection will show that the mirror box (camera chamber) is much deeper than the protruding lens flange. It may get struck by the mirror, particularly at some focal lengths and some focusing distances (usually infinity).

You may be thinking the mirror is the sensor. The mirror is at a 45 degree angle most of the time and flips up out of the way for the shot.

The mirror on a crop factor (EF-S) camera is smaller than a full-frame camera, so EF-S lens can protrude more into the chamber.

The EF-S mount is like the EF mount but the EF-S lenses include an extra pin or a repositioned pin to prevent mounting on full-frame. This can be defeated by handy people. But lenses are used at one's own risk and such usage will void the warranty of the lens and the camera (if the camera mirror was modified by shaving or smashed by not modifying). People will say, go ahead and use the EF-S on full frame, but don't use certain focal lengths. Personally I think it is too risky to chance forgetting the limit or having the lens zoom ring twist when not paying attention.

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:17 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EF vs EF-S lenses

As a note to OP: most third-party EF-S type lenses will mount on a full frame camera.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:25 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Only canon make ef-s lenses.

Every one else makes ef lenses with reduced apsc image circles.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:38 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EF vs EF-S lenses

I said EF-S 'type"

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:01 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Thanks for the photo Scorpix. That is what I wanted to see.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:07 PM
BigSky1

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EF vs EF-S lenses

Are the optics in EF-S lenses constructed/configured so that they are "optimized" for use with APS-C cameras? I know that they are built only to fit APS-C cameras; but, are they constructed in a manner different than an EF lens such that their optics make better use of/work better with the APS-C sensor? I hope that makes sense.

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EF vs EF-S lenses

BigSky1 wrote:
Are the optics in EF-S lenses constructed/configured so that they are "optimized" for use with APS-C cameras? I know that they are built only to fit APS-C cameras; but, are they constructed in a manner different than an EF lens such that their optics make better use of/work better with the APS-C sensor?

Yes.

They throw a smaller image circle and need only be sharp and free of aberrations in the smaller image circle.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:44 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EF vs EF-S lenses

BigSky1 wrote:
Are the optics in EF-S lenses constructed/configured so that they are "optimized" for use with APS-C cameras? I know that they are built only to fit APS-C cameras; but, are they constructed in a manner different than an EF lens such that their optics make better use of/work better with the APS-C sensor? I hope that makes sense.

Being able to get the rear element closer to the sensor does give canon some advantages when designing lenses.

From wikipedia:
"which enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lenses, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive"

Which in theory is great, in practice canon have the slowest crop wide angle lens and none of them can be called cheap (outside of the kit lenses 18/55 and 55-250).

Also note that at normal to tele focal lengths the rear element is always a fair distance out and the image circle is always big enough for 135 so ef-s has no advantage.

gwaww wrote:
I said EF-S 'type"

Yes , sorry was just making it clear.

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.