New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photographer.

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographer.

Took a selfie of myself today.
This is in my studio, I triggered the camera as well as the Elinchrom’s using pocket wizard Plus III.

Camera: D3
Lens: 85mm
Strobe: Eli Bx500Ri
Main Modifier: Eli Rotalux 53” Octa

Let me know what you guys think. C&C’s welcome!

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographer.

Very nice self Portrait.
I don't thing the Pocket wizard need to be the picture, unless you are advertising for PW.

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographer.

Howdy,

Nice self portrait.

I agee with Jonathan about the PW. But for a different reason.

Reason? It is lighter in tone and draws my eye down and away from you (to edge of image).

Also, I think more "headroom" would be better than the "crotch room" as shown. Your light colored forehead is very close to the top edge of the image.

I hope these comments help you.

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:03 AM
Nightsky

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographer.

Thanks for posting. Learned from the comments.

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:20 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographer.

I agree with Steady Hand, the PW is just a little too much rig, would have been perfect just with camera and lens. Most non photographers will probably try to figure what that protruding part is anyways. Head room yeah indeed a lil tight. The dark hair zone would have benefitted from some subtle rim/hair light but something very gentle.

I rarely start a comment with things i think could be improved but this is how it came out here.

So i'll end with the goodies cuz i see a lot;

1st, sweet control over your lighting which in turn translates into good rendition of the subtleties in the blacks. Not easy to get any kind of separation with dark clothing on a black background. The choice of a short lighting is quite judicious in this portrait yielding a nice contour of face and neck area. I love the positioning of the subject (you) Straight and proud posture yet relaxed. I also appreciate the centered catch light i the eyes. With a catch light this size best center it because otherwise it masks the iris' color. Maybe this appropriate centering of the catch light was incidental, but hey i comment what i see. Can't say i'm particularly bothered by the crotch area and besides the use of a wooden box to sit on gives interesting texture to the shot as little as it may be.

A very pleasant portrait to look at i tell ya and i'd be proud to have done it, especially considering it's a selfie.

The bottom button does attract some attention perhaps toning it down more like the top one would help.

Great work in my book sir :-)

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:02 PM
trewyn15

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographer.

I like it, very simple, looks good!

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:03 PM
Marty Malicki

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographer.

Assuming that you have them I really would like to see the fingers on your left hand.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.