FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Macro for Canon

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro for Canon

I have a Canon 6D and I want to get a REAL Macro lens. I have a few that state they have a macro function on them, but they're not really macro. What would be a good macro that doesn't cost a lot but does a good job.
Thanks.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro for Canon

60mm 2.8 is what I'm using as a beginner. 1:1 and works well with fotodiox pro extension tubes

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM
trewyn15

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro for Canon

I have the Canon 100mm 2.8 that I'm currently looking to get rid of because I don't shoot Macro enuogh.

It's such an extremely sharp lens that it's actually hard to get rid of even though I don't use it that often. I don't have enough posts here to post it yet, but if you're possibly interested let me know, I have it up at POTN.

I've used it a couple of times on like ice and such during the winter and would like to have it for bugs and such in the summer.

I believe Tamron also has a nice 60mm macro that has decent results as well.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro for Canon

Not really any bad macros out there. Tamron 90 & 60f2 are both great & fairly inexpensive (I've used both on Nikon). Sigma 105 & Tokina 100 are also fairly cheap (but good) options compared to the Canon 100 or MPE65. Also quite a few options in the 50-70mm range but working distance is a bit shorter.

Cheers
Leigh

Edit: Should have said the Tamron 60f2 is a crop lens so probably nor suitable for the 6D.

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro for Canon

Are you going to use it almost exclusively for macro or do you also have a gap in FL for general photography? One lens may cover both.

Harold

Mar 31, 2014 at 01:52 AM
pedwatt
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro for Canon

I use the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, the non-Is is awesome also. It is also one of my goto portrait lenses

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM
jimgarvie

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro for Canon

PeterK78: the 60mm F2.8 is an EF-S lens and can't be used on the 6D. Only on crop-sensors.

I have the Canon Ef 100mm F2.8 (non-IS) and I love it. It's great for macro work -- very sharp. It's also a very good medium-telephoto on your full-frame 6D and an excellent portrait lens especially wide open. And, good value if you buy used from a reliable source or refurbished.

Mar 31, 2014 at 01:17 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro for Canon

jimgarvie wrote:
PeterK78: the 60mm F2.8 is an EF-S lens and can't be used on the 6D. Only on crop-sensors.

I have the Canon Ef 100mm F2.8 (non-IS) and I love it. It's great for macro work -- very sharp. It's also a very good medium-telephoto on your full-frame 6D and an excellent portrait lens especially wide open. And, good value if you buy used from a reliable source or refurbished.

Jim, it can be used on FF - IF you are using extension tubes. I am using mine on my 5DIII with Fotodiox Pro tubes. Works great, and the tubes are only about $50 on amazon.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:08 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro for Canon

It would be helpful to know what you're shooting interests are- one mans macro is another's micro. What do you want to shoot? I'm asking because it can influence your macro lens choice. There are many cheap ways into macro, you could just put tubes behind optics you own or get a reversal ring to mount lenses backwards. Lots of macro is shot manual focus and there are loads of older macros on the market that will give great images and be easy on your wallet.
Phil

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:14 PM
et31

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro for Canon

Canon FD 100mm f/3.5 macro lens + Canon FD 50 extension tube works very well on a crop sensor (1.6x). Even though that it is not an AF version, it works very well manually to control detail. Prime optics for a fraction of the price!

Mar 31, 2014 at 06:26 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macro for Canon

What does anyone think of the new Tamron 90mm Macro with the image stabilization? I hear that's a really good lens from the recommendations I see.

Apr 02, 2014 at 04:10 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macro for Canon

I picked up an older non-OS Sigma 150mm a few years ago (to quote the full Sigma list of initials, it's the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO HSM IF Macro), which has proven to be a great lens for the abstract macro stuff I play around with, usually wide open. Perfect working distance for me (I don't generally do super close up bug shots) and pin sharp. One day I might get some tubes to experiment with.

Apr 03, 2014 at 01:18 AM
ariakae

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Macro for Canon

go with the 60

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:41 AM
danh920
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Macro for Canon

pipspeak wrote:
I picked up an older non-OS Sigma 150mm a few years ago (to quote the full Sigma list of initials, it's the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO HSM IF Macro), which has proven to be a great lens for the abstract macro stuff I play around with, usually wide open. Perfect working distance for me (I don't generally do super close up bug shots) and pin sharp. One day I might get some tubes to experiment with.

+1, its a great lens and you can find great deals on it

Apr 04, 2014 at 03:15 PM
higginb

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Macro for Canon

I think the Canon 100mm, f2.8 non-IS macro lens is one of the best values available. It's tack sharp, does a great job as a macro lens and can be multi-purposed as a portrait lens.

Apr 06, 2014 at 05:58 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Macro for Canon

higginb wrote:
can be multi-purposed as a portrait lens.

Possibly with a high quality soft-focus filter on the front.

Harold

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:46 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Macro for Canon

e6filmuser wrote:
Possibly with a high quality soft-focus filter on the front.

Harold

Forget the filter. Just soften with Photoshop filters.

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:52 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.