Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

chuckles84
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

I bought a Fotodiox OM to EOS adapter and tested with a few of my old Olympus OM primes. I've found the focus is off while using the viewfinder, but is spot on when using live view. My question is, will an aftermarket split prism focus screen or Canon EG-S focus screen help. I can tell you that my I will be using glass with a smaller aperture than f/2.8. Thanks for any help offered!

Charles

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:07 PM
EJphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

If focus is on in live view and not in the viewfinder during manual focus, it's possible that the diopter is not adjusted properly to your eye. Have you tried adjusting it yet?
The focus screens are better for lenses with larger faster apertures.

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:20 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

EJphotos wrote:
If focus is on in live view and not in the viewfinder during manual focus, it's possible that the diopter is not adjusted properly to your eye. Have you tried adjusting it yet?
The focus screens are better for lenses with larger faster apertures.

+1

Either that or the focusing screen is not seated correctly. If it's ok in liveview it's the reflex focusing system at fault

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

By "smaller aperture than f/2.8", do you mean something like f/8? If so, it's difficult to do manual focus in the finder, because it's getting dim. I often use smaller apertures with LiveView on a tripod, with great results. Not so much with teh optical finder.

OTOH, If you mean something like f/1.4 being smaller than f/2.8, then that's getting difficult, too, because the finder doesn't show the full effect of ultra-fast lenses, in terms of accurate DOF placement. I generally get decent results for handheld shooting at f/1.2 and f/1.4 by "rocking" the focus back and forth, through the subject - just like the good ole days.

The Alternatives forum is a great place for topics like this.

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:40 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

chuckles84 wrote:
I bought a Fotodiox OM to EOS adapter and tested with a few of my old Olympus OM primes. I've found the focus is off while using the viewfinder, but is spot on when using live view. My question is, will an aftermarket split prism focus screen or Canon EG-S focus screen help. I can tell you that my I will be using glass with a smaller aperture than f/2.8. Thanks for any help offered!

Charles

My eyes are too crappy (and I've still got 20/20) to see if the lens is in focus even with a bright viewfinder like the 6D. You see (or not) how bad it is on a Rebel!

I bought the Fotodiox with the smart focus chip and it works a treat with my old Nikkor glass. As it's too late for that, you might consider using an inexpensive (but good!) LCD magnifying view finder - they're inexpensive and a lot easier to take on and off than a focus screen.

Or, return your adapter and get the Fotodiox with the chip in it and save yourself the headaches!

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:53 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

jcolwell wrote:
By "smaller aperture than f/2.8", do you mean something like f/8? If so, it's difficult to do manual focus in the finder, because it's getting dim. I often use smaller apertures with LiveView on a tripod, with great results. Not so much with teh optical finder.

OTOH, If you mean something like f/1.4 being smaller than f/2.8, then that's getting difficult, too, because the finder doesn't show the full effect of ultra-fast lenses, in terms of accurate DOF placement. I generally get decent results for handheld shooting at f/1.2 and f/1.4 by "rocking" the focus back and forth, through the subject
...Show more

Yes, I meant f/8 is smaller than f/2.8. I only mentioned that because I read using a manual focus/split prism screen only benefits well with f/2.8 or faster lenses in the 6D. I was using my 50mm f/1.4 and it makes sense that you don't get the full effect from a fast lens through the viewfinder.

I'll try adjusting the diopter and see if that changes my results. I'll also look into the LCD magnifier.

Thanks again and if I have any more trouble, I'll drop a line in over at the Alternative Lenses and Gear section.

-Charles

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:23 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual focus glass on 6D?

chuckles84 wrote:
I've found the focus is off while using the viewfinder, but is spot on when using live view.

This would suggest that your camera's mirror is out of alignment, or you have MA set to some default value other than "0", and changing focusing screens won't help.

Mar 30, 2014 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.