New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · shutter re-focus

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shutter re-focus

When I hold the shutter down on my 5D II, it will re-focus, and the re-focus is out of focus. I'm wonderling if there is something I'm doing wrong. I checked and it is on AF One shot AI Servo. I wonder if I change to back button focus, if the problem will go away.

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:19 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shutter re-focus

Norman my love wrote:
When I hold the shutter down on my 5D II, it will re-focus, and the re-focus is out of focus. I wonder if I change to back button focus, if the problem will go away.

Yes, back button focus will help

"If you are shooting something like a series of portraits of a person, and you want them composed off-center, back-button AF makes it super-easy to take as many pictures as you want. Focus on your subject by pressing the rear button (more on which button later in this article). Once in-focus, take your thumb off the rear button. Re-compose the shot to move your subject off-center. Shoot as many pictures as you like. With focus activation removed from the shutter button, you now can fire any time you like, and remove your index finger from the shutter button after a shot is taken. No matter what, the camera makes no effort to re-focus when you press the shutter button half-way down again."
descriptions for various Canon models on Page 3 of this Canon tutorial
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml?categoryId=121

Mike K

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shutter re-focus

Norman my love wrote:
When I hold the shutter down on my 5D II, it will re-focus, and the re-focus is out of focus. I'm wonderling if there is something I'm doing wrong. I checked and it is on AF One shot AI Servo. I wonder if I change to back button focus, if the problem will go away.

Change it off of AI Servo back to the default: One Shot.

There is no such thing as "One shot AI Servo" on the 5D2. There is "One shot", "AI Servo", and "AI Focus".

All the same, I highly recommend back button focus. I switched to it a few months after getting my first Canon DSLR (9 years ago) and never looked back. It's all about being in control. I use the back button focus with whichever of the three AF modes I'm in.

Edited on Mar 29, 2014 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shutter re-focus

Norman my love wrote:

Which problem, the refocus or that the refocus is OOF? The former may be avoided with the back button focus, but the latter should not occur either way. Of course the 5D II is known for poor AF, and the shooting situation may exceed its capabilities.

EBH

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:45 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shutter re-focus

I agree with Monito. Also, you didn't mention the setup you were testing on, but I'm assuming it was a stationary target. Was the camera on a solid tripod? Sufficient light and contrast? Center AF point?

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shutter re-focus

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Monito - It looks like One shot AI Servo are together on my camera. There are 2 tiny arrows between them, but I can't find a toggle or anything. They are number 4 under C. custom functions III, Autofocus drive.

Mitsh - I was hand holding, braced on high shutter speed and high ISO, but of a stationary wall, with my new Canon 1.4x Extender and the 70-200 F4. I then tested a few other stationary objects, leaves with plenty of contrast no wind. I took the Extender off,since I was testing it and it still re-focused.

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:57 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shutter re-focus

I think you've confused a custom function with the selection of AF mode. Here is the relevant page from your user's manual. You want to set the AF mode using the spin wheel on the top of the camera near the shutter button, not set any preferences via custom function.

Mar 29, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shutter re-focus

Oh Geez, Sorry to waste everone's time. It was on AI Servo and it refocuses there. I haven't read my manual for ages and then I don't use the camera for several months and have to learn it all over. Thank you Mitesh.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shutter re-focus

EBH - Yes, the refocus was OOF, which is why I considered it a problem.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.