FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Crossing

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Crossing

Normally when there is a big crossing the far side bank has many vehicles of tourists. But a small crossing occurred about 500 yards up the river 30 minutes earlier at about 11-11:30 and since most camps serve lunch about noon every other vehicle had left. So we not only got an amazing viewing of the mega crossing we didn't have to contend with vans in the photos.
Eric
http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/Kenya-Namibia-SAfrica2006/i-K7R7L6J/0/X2/jo4h6935crossingwideview2-X2.jpg

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:07 AM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Crossing

Great pic of this amazing event Eric and even better without the tourist trappings!
Martin

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:13 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Crossing

Good looking image Eric. And good strategy. I think guides who think (or who at least listen to their paying fares) are wonderful.

Mar 29, 2014 at 08:47 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Crossing

we didn't have to contend with vans in the photos If these guys were all getting into vans on the other side why didn't they just get into on this side Seems a lot safer to me

Ah great story and smart man Eric. I like the comp of this image, the flow of the beasts and the flow of the water..... fabulous It really is a very dynamic image. The river looks rather swift there, are there crocs in water moving that quickly?

Tim

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:04 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Crossing

Martin Good wrote:
Great pic of this amazing event Eric and even better without the tourist trappings!
Martin

Thanks Martin...and I agree, I like minivan safari vehicles as much as the next guy but keeping them out of the photo is a very good thing.
Eric

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:31 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Crossing

KCollett wrote:
Good looking image Eric. And good strategy. I think guides who think (or who at least listen to their paying fares) are wonderful.

I agree and I find it surprising that there are many who do not and in fact merely go through the motions. When you find one that does however, the experience can be magical.
Eric

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:33 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Crossing

Tim Kuhn wrote:
we didn't have to contend with vans in the photos If these guys were all getting into vans on the other side why didn't they just get into on this side Seems a lot safer to me

Ah great story and smart man Eric. I like the comp of this image, the flow of the beasts and the flow of the water..... fabulous It really is a very dynamic image. The river looks rather swift there, are there crocs in water moving that quickly?

Tim

Thanks so much Tim and unfortunately there is no practical way to get from one side to the other as the river is in general not passable. The route around is very long but one day I would like to photograph from the opposite side as that is typically a face forward view.
Eric

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Crossing

Me too, Eric; this is a swell picture .
Trouble is- from the other side you'd have difficulty keeping all the other vans and Land Rovers out of your shots .
Like photographing the Grand Canyon- in a way. The North Rim is much more photogenic- but you have to be on the South Rim to see it .
Charlie

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:59 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Crossing

Tim Kuhn wrote:

Tim

Sorry Tim...forgot to add that indeed there are crocs in the fast moving water.....I can't imagine try to fight that current and then have the added knowledge that some 14' cold blooded killer is lurking under the water.
Eric

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Crossing

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Me too, Eric; this is a swell picture .
Trouble is- from the other side you'd have difficulty keeping all the other vans and Land Rovers out of your shots .
Like photographing the Grand Canyon- in a way. The North Rim is much more photogenic- but you have to be on the South Rim to see it .
Charlie

Charlie, the one thing that you have going for you shooting from the other side is more elevation so you can shoot down and get the wildebeest crossing without having to show the vehicle...at least I think so.
Eric

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Crossing

A neat shot Eric. The water does look like it is moving fast. I assume that the herds look for a narrow place to cross so that they spend as little time as possible exposed to the croc threat. However, as the river narrows, the water picks up speed and becomes more dangerous itself. Not a choice I'd like to have to make ~ Ron

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.