Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

A7 or A7R with Minolta MD, Canon FD, & Contax CY?
A7?
A7R for $300 more?
RX1R for $600 more?
A7 + RX100ii?

A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Hey guys,

I've been looking through FlickR and here. It seems like people bought more of the A7R than the A7, at least from the number of sample images. As my poll says, which body(ies)? Is the 36MP A7R too much for my vintage glass? Should I not get either, sell most/all my glass, and be happy with an RX1? Or not get the A7R, but team the A7 with a RX100II? Save my money and just get the A7 with the quieter shutter? What would you do in my shoes?

I will only be shooting MF glass. I do not plan on buying the FE lenses despite their awesomeness, they do cost a pretty penny and the move for a FF mirrorless is expensive as it is. I know this question has been asked a lot, but I'm just so bad at these tough decisions.

I currently have a Nex 5N and 6 which I will probably sell once I buy the new body.

KTHXBAI!

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Ask yourself what the point of 36000000 pixels is. If you don't need it, get the a7.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Makten wrote:
Ask yourself what the point of 36000000 pixels is. If you don't need it, get the a7.

Obviously, you haven't been swayed by the "need high MPx" whiners on the Canon forum.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

jcolwell wrote:
Obviously, you haven't been swayed by the "need high MPx" whiners on the Canon forum.

Nope, and even if I do know that some shooters really print big enough that it matters, it seems like many just choose the a7R for the heck of it. In my opinion, the drawbacks and higher price makes it pointless if you don't NEED all those pixels.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM
adnan76
• •
p.1 #5 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I picked the A7r because when I got it, there was not as much information out there as there is now... and there was some mystique with the lack of AA filter. I had some notion it might make for better B&W conversions. I think now, I'd be equally happy with either camera. However, I wouldn't let the use of vintage lenses drive your camera selection. I think many of them can "keep up" just fine with the A7R.

I borrowed a friend's cheap Leica 135mm/4 from 1961, and at 100% inspection, I couldn't see how the image could be any sharper at the focus point.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #6 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I picked the A7r because I really like mine with SLR glass, there is still room for more pixels, my NEX-7 is more densely packed than the A7r and it wasn't hitting any lens resolution barrier, but... If you want to shoot WA RF lenses, get the A7.

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:09 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I voted A7. Mainly because you seem to be on a budget. If you can't afford (as opposed to don't want) FE lenses, then A7r money is a lot to be spending on a camera.

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

jcolwell wrote:

You would say the opposite if Canon had such sensor in the first place. Can you add some value to this post? I don't think so because you never obviously tried this Exmor sensor.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Voted A7R. The difference is huge, and I am using the A7R a lot with my FD lens gear. IQ is excellent, both resolution-wise and in the tonal range.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #10 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I don't know what you like to shoot but if you can deal with fixed focal length the rx1/r is hard to beat interms of iq and overall awesomeness. That lens sensor combo is just insane and very small.

I am renting an a7 because I am considering the a7/r as a replacement for my d800. I wanted something smaller and easier to travel with. I'm on the road more than I'm home and I get annoyed toting my gear through the airport.

I'd say rent the rx1/r and a7/r and see what works for you and what you shoot. The rx100ii isn't a bad investment anyway you look at it tho. Lol it's a gem of a camera.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

if you're on a budget get the a7.

the a7r has better image quality even with cheap old lenses (higher res, more microcontrast due to being AA less, slightly better looking color, slightly better noise control), but the difference is unnoticeable unless you are directly comparing the two. if you're just looking at pictures you're not going to be able to notice the difference. a7r also feels a bit nicer due to the extra metal on the body/dials but it also feels slower and doesn't perform as well with rangefinder lenses (of which there are actually some bargains).

rx1 is awesome too, if you want the best iq per cubic centimeter and like 35mm get that. don't get the rx1r unless you can't find the rx1 for $500 cheaper the difference is tiny...

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #12 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I would say that both the A7 and R are suitable for older alt lenses.In my case,the only reason to chose A7 over R was that I don't really need 36MP for what I do.24MP is more than enough.I've tried both,(as it was the case with Nikon D800E vs D600 2 years ago),just to find out that 24MP is enough for what I do.Anyways-decision is yours

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:11 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I went with the a7 because I felt the EFCS (and not having to worry so much about my shutter-speed) would be more useful to me than the higher resolution. The 7r offers some great benefits aside from resolution, like lower luminance noise at like ISOs and a higher threshold before diffraction becomes a problem, but those advantages are mitigated if you want to keep the shutter speed high enough to avoid shock.

I wouldn't worry too much about the glass, though. From the couple of hours I got to spend with both cameras over Thanksgiving, what I could see was that if you like something about a lens at a lower resolution, you're going to love it at a higher resolution, but what you don't like about the lens, you'll like even less. It just makes everything more apparent.

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:37 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #14 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Thanks for all the replies. As the vote is now, you can see my own inner turmoil. Looks to be leaning towards the A7 by a couple votes.

While I am on a budget, the price difference is a mere $300 rather than the actual cost of buying new, which is why I put that in the options. The cheapest FE prime is the 35mm at ~$800 and the mini-Otus is $1k. The other reason I'm not getting the FEs is because I already have the Contax 50 1.4/1.7 and Contax 35 2.8. I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but for the prices I paid for those lenses, to upgrade to their modern equivalents would require a large jump.

I mostly shoot people (non-action); family, friends, memories, travel, street, etc. I do plan on doing some landscape (some of those sunrise/sunset photos have really made inspired me). There are some interesting replies to which I will quote individually. Thanks, again, alt forum!

Edited on Mar 29, 2014 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:44 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #15 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

sebboh wrote:
if you're on a budget get the a7.

the a7r has better image quality even with cheap old lenses (higher res, more microcontrast due to being AA less, slightly better looking color, slightly better noise control), but the difference is unnoticeable unless you are directly comparing the two. if you're just looking at pictures you're not going to be able to notice the difference. a7r also feels a bit nicer due to the extra metal on the body/dials but it also feels slower and doesn't perform as well with rangefinder lenses (of which there are actually some bargains).

rx1 is awesome too,
...Show more

I heard about the color, noise, and res, but didn't know about the extra microcontrast! Thanks for the heads up. Do you mind sharing your thoughts on the bargain rangefinder lenses? Do you mean the Zeiss M line? Those are the only ones I've read about thus far. Post or PM is fine.

You are very right about the RX1 vs R as far as I remember reading as well. I should look for a used RX1 if I'm going that route, rather than a new RX1R. Very good point.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:48 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #16 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

retrofocus wrote:
Voted A7R. The difference is huge, and I am using the A7R a lot with my FD lens gear. IQ is excellent, both resolution-wise and in the tonal range.

Which FD lenses do you shoot with, if you don't mind sharing? Post or PM is fine.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:56 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.1 #17 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I shot many lenses on both.

I found for non-native glass the A7 is much better, outside the center.

Beyond that, the superior centers of the R are not visible viewing whole images.

I wanted the A7r to be "the solution"; it wasn't. I returned it and am much happier with the plain 7.

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:09 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #18 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Which FD lenses do you shoot with, if you don't mind sharing? Post or PM is fine.

I am shooting currently with the following FD lenses:

Canon 50/1.8 S.C. FD
Canon 50/3.5 FD macro
Sigma 21-35/3.5-4.2 FD
Soligor 28-80/3.5-4.5 macro FD
Tokina 80-200/4 FD

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

I'm using a Pentax 50mm 1.4 Super Tak on my A7r which although it's yellowed and has a scratched rear element, out resolves at f8 anything I could have got with my 5D3 and 50L. This image is 24 megapixels even after the crop to 6X12 ratio and that will print as large as I could ever want. I don't always need the 36 megapixels but it's there when I do, it gives me great cropability and well, put it this way, I used to have to use a tripod, L lenses, HDR and significant stitching to do images such as below, shot in a single frame, handheld and at iso 1000.

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:48 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #20 · A7 or A7R with Vintage MF glass? Poll Inside!

One reason why the A7r would be a bit more attractive to me is that it seems to have less issues with sensor reflections.

Mar 29, 2014 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password