FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sunset at Seal Rock Oregon

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset at Seal Rock Oregon

Night after night, Portland has had some epic sunsets. Stands to reason that I would have a great chance of some clouds out on the coast the next day, right?

Wrong. For some reason.. epic cloudy sunsets mostly seem to elude me when I am able to photograph them. That was the case on a recent trip to Seal Rock on the Oregon coast.

No matter, though. I was happy to be back on the coast with my feet in the water and enjoyed it for what it was.

I spent a lot of time thinking outside of my box and playing with a new lens. Since there weren't any clouds during the 'golden hour', which is about an hour before sunset when the light is a sexy golden color, I spent some time playing with light on water contrasty work. I might release one of those.

No doubt.. this image takes the cake for the night. I captured it just as the sun dropped below the horizon.

Simple. Smooth. Relaxing.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset at Seal Rock Oregon

Great capture. I love this comp. The motion of the water is making me dizzy, especially after a 5.3 earthquake we just got in SoCal.

-Quang

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset at Seal Rock Oregon

Hey TJ,

You worked the light nice in this, and I like the motion of the water leading through the shot.

As for assuming because the sunsets are cool in Portland that they will also be cool at the coast... of course that's wrong... I learned long ago that the coastline will have it's own weather that even driving 30 minutes inland will give you a completely different look. Here in SoCal, I live maybe 20 mins away from the coast, I can be having great clouds at sunset, but at the coast there is nothing. Or it can be totally clear here, and at the coast the clouds are fantastic. Even if there are clouds at the beach, the winds cause the clouds to move a lot, so even in just 30 minutes before sunset, the clouds can either appear or disappear.... so my point is, don't judge the amount of clouds and potential sunset from your position an hour away. Myself, I look up webcam views of the beach before I head out to give me a birds eye view of the beach so at least I have real information to work with.

Jim

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset at Seal Rock Oregon

Agreed Jim.

It was a very loose assumption.. more of a frustration that the clouds and sunsets seem to be everywhere around me except where I am with a camera. We were heading to the coast regardless... so I didn't even bother checking the radars. I don't get out to shoot often because of my schedule. But every time I'm available to shoot.. it's either clear skies or overcast rainy-ness. :-(

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.