New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

mlim18
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

If I used an on camera shotgun style mic while filming with my 70D, would that help to get rid of the autofocus noise i can hear when just using the built in microphones?

Mar 28, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

Yes, it will help a fair bit.

Likely will not totally eliminate it though.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:29 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

Mike V wrote:
Yes, it will help a fair bit.

Likely will not totally eliminate it though.

+1

You have to get the mic a fair bit away from the camera to fully eliminate focus motor noise. One of the reasons I try to manually focus whenever possible.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

What lenses are you using? An STM will reduce the noise - and yes, a proper mic will make a difference.

Besides shotgun mic (like a Rode videomic) - study up on the types of mic for the situation. A shotgun is not good for indoors for example. Something like a little Tascam DR-40 ($150) can be mounted on top of your camera, and have a remote recording function so you bypass the crummy pre-amps in your camera. You can also pass through to your camera and even record a backup at different volume.

Depending on how serious you get pick up a rail system and a follow-focus to facilitate manual focusing. That can be done for under $200 easy - and good stuff.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM
mlim18
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

subidiom wrote:
+1

You have to get the mic a fair bit away from the camera to fully eliminate focus motor noise. One of the reasons I try to manually focus whenever possible.

Yeah, one of the reasons I got the 70D was for its autofocus capabilities during video.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:00 PM
mlim18
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

AnthonyRay wrote:
What lenses are you using? An STM will reduce the noise - and yes, a proper mic will make a difference.

I have a couple lens - the 35mm f2, 85mm 1.8, etc. THe 85mm is ultrasonic, but the 35mm is really noisy. I don't have an STM. I was thinking that it might be cheaper to buy a mic rather than a new lens in order to get rid of the focus motor noise.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:04 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · On Camera Mic and AF noise

For the most part, yes an external, on camera shotgun mic will help rid you of the autofocus noise.

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.