New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

Nikon has increase its commitment to fix dust and oil issues with the D600, promising that if the shutter replacement doesn't fix the issue, you'll get a new camera instead.

From Nikon: (press release)

"With regard to the issue with which multiple granular black spots are reflected in images captured with the D600 digital SLR camera, Nikon sincerely apologizes for any concern and inconvenience suffered by D600 users, retailers, and all concerned.

Because Nikon takes this matter very seriously, we will continue to offer users of the D600 a special service with which cameras are inspected, cleaned, and if necessary, shutter and related components are replaced free of charge, even after the product warranty has expired. However, if a number of multiple granular black spots are still noticeable in images captured with a D600 upon which the above service has been performed several times, Nikon will replace it with a new D600 or an equivalent model.

Nikon will continue to work to improve the quality of its products and services even further.

We hope that you will continue to choose Nikon products for your photographic needs."

Press release

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

AJABAJA'
1DX FROM CANON AND OIL SPOT PROBLEMS, WHAT TO DO?

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:50 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

Well, fair play to them, one can only assume / hope that they will be offering the D610 as a replacement. Glad to see them trying to make amends albeit a little late.

Andy

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:44 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

This looks like a statement of what they are doing anyway, presumably making it clearer due to threat of legal action. I wonder how many cameras costs the same as 1 day of 1 lawyer?

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:59 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

This implies that there is something inherently wrong with the D600 shutter, and that replacing it with another shutter may not always fix the "granular black" spots problem.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:53 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

Word is they've switched to Amsoil, with it's inherent "low sling" characteristics

Mar 29, 2014 at 08:48 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

FWIW, according to the other "sage", byThom, the replacement shutter assembly is NOT the 610 assembly.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/d600-apology-and-clear.html

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:37 AM
Njsnyder

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I've had no problems withy d600

Mar 30, 2014 at 05:30 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I hope they will replace mine... it's currently in Nikon service center for the 3rd time. I don't normally care whether they would give me a new/replacement camera or not, but mine has a difficult to detect VR problem (unless using long lens, which I seldom use so it took me some time decide there is really a problem).

A few days ago, I took my old trusty D700 to take some landscape photos(haven't used it for landscape since getting D600), I didn't notice obvious spots even after some contrast push, level adjustments... My D600, cleaned one month ago, has hundreds of spots before I sent it in. The D700 was purchased in early 2009, served me in desert, snow, pouring rain ...I live in high humidity places (I suppose dust/sand/fabric could be more sticky in wet conditions) but I have never done any sensor cleaning (only used air-blowers) to D700. I realized that some D600 owners think routine sensor swabbing is normal... I don't.

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:14 PM
Rooster L200
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

Mine is in for 'repair', no questions asked, no shipping to and fro costs, hope it will be back soon. Thus far no complaints. Items to be replaced are ordered.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I may be in the minority also but I haven't had any problems with mine and it was even and open box buy. A rocket blower is all it needs on occasion so far.

It's good to see (hopefully) that Nikon is stepping up. I know all too well how a bad product and even worse follow up service can send your customers spinning!

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:56 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I bought a refurb from Adorama over a year ago and never had the problems with oil. I sent mine in anyway and I am glad that I did. Not only did they replace the shutter but adjusted the autofocus and it is sharper than ever. Almost 1000 shots since I got it back and not a speck of oil from the new shutter. Biggest plus is that if I ever do want to resell mine has the new shutter!

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:02 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

MDoc, out of curiosity what was the turnaround time?

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:07 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

From the time I mailed it til I got it back was three weeks. Nikon only had the lens for 8-9 days the rest was slow mail.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:01 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I am interested to know if they actually replace anyone's camera on the forum... I am going to send mine back in. Haven't shot it much, and it shows a pretty decent amount of corner spatter, even at f/10 (f/22 looks atrocious).

I checked my Sony A7 while I was at it and it's almost dust free in comparison, and I used it in some hellish dusty conditions that I dared not take my D600 into.

Apr 04, 2014 at 07:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon will replace faulty D600 cameras

I do believe we need to thank the Chinese for this change of heart.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303546204579441143010600588

Nikon may be willing to stiff American consumers but I doubt they want to tangle with a Chinese bureaucrat who can shut the door on their products. The problems with the D600 are of concern. We may not want to live in a totalitarian state, but sometimes they get actions where others have meetings...

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.