New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

StarNut
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

I got this camera for Christmas, to complement my DSLR equipment.

My wife and I recently took a "bucket list" trip, in which we took thousands of photos with four different cameras.

This little beauty absolutely held its own!

For anyone willing to pay what it costs, looking for an excellent point-and-shoot, I heartily recommend this camera.

Mark

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

it truly is a great camera for it's size.
out of curiosity but any comment regarding the AF?

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

taemo wrote:
out of curiosity but any comment regarding the AF?

Fine, as far as I could tell.

I used it two ways--some landscapes and underwater.

The landscapes are remarkably sharp, distinguishable from my Canon 5D3/excellent lens photos only in the somewhat poorer dynamic range. Underwater photography is very difficult--I'm getting tossed by the surf (I only snorkel); the light is significantly attenuated, and the water has lots of crud in it. I thought the camera performed admirably in that environment; it sometimes focused on the floating crud, rather than the fish, but I can't fault it for that. It gave me some wonderful memories of the snorkeling.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:58 PM
esanchez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

Love mine....I have a 6D and Fuji X-T1 but the RX100 kicks butt for its size and sensor.

Mar 28, 2014 at 02:20 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

StarNut wrote:
Fine, as far as I could tell.

I used it two ways--some landscapes and underwater.

The landscapes are remarkably sharp, distinguishable from my Canon 5D3/excellent lens photos only in the somewhat poorer dynamic range. Underwater photography is very difficult--I'm getting tossed by the surf (I only snorkel); the light is significantly attenuated, and the water has lots of crud in it. I thought the camera performed admirably in that environment; it sometimes focused on the floating crud, rather than the fish, but I can't fault it for that. It gave me some wonderful memories of the snorkeling.

do you have any sample shots taken with the RX100II and underwater housing?

i was so tempted on buying it with ikelite housing for snorkeling but have decided to give the Ricoh GR a try first

Mar 28, 2014 at 04:26 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

taemo wrote:

Water was murky; don't hold it against the camera (I used the Ikelite housing).

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:19 PM
juicer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

taemo wrote:

i was so tempted on buying it with ikelite housing for snorkeling but have decided to give the Ricoh GR a try first

I used this housing: http://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE%C2%AE-Waterproof-Underwater-DSC-RX100-LF267/dp/B00FVU8C9U

It worked very well. Below are some links (sorry my upload must have expired and can't renew just now, i'll try and fix later today). I shot RAW, it is definitely challenging playing with the white balance and trying to pull out colors when deeper than 5-10 feet. But, it's a nice (exmor) sensor so it's probably the best you can do in a small package. The ideal set up is strobes so you don't lose as much color as the sunlight is filtered through the water, but this works for casual stuff.

http://bit.ly/1jERCme
http://bit.ly/1jERRNX
http://bit.ly/1h4bRlj

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:14 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Props for my Sony RX100 II

thanks for the share, those are some amazing shots!

i love the first pic juicer

hmm.. the rx100ii is so tempting, i'll wait for when the G1X II comes out and pick between the 2

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.