Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Josephhummel

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Does anyone know of a good resource, book, video... that shows a good progression of lighting gear to use. I'd like to become more proficient at the use of flashes, softboxes/umbrellas etc but not sure what to start with? Bare bulb flash or go with bunch of speedlights? Currently I shoot natural light with reflectors and bounce cards and fill in flash here and there, but I like the results I see from good flash lighting.

Thanks for any input

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:06 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

I just picked up a copy of "Understanding Flash Photography" by Bryan Peterson. It's a great place to start.

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:19 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Strobist

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:00 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.1 #4 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Strobist, plus Syl Arena's book "Lighting for Digital Photography" (http://sylarena.com/syl-arena-books/). Great resources.

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:31 PM
bogeybrown

p.1 #5 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

I haven't read Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Flash Photography" yet, but I just finished his "Understanding Exposure" and found it very well put together and helpful. I'm ordering some of his other books now and working through some of his free online training.

Apr 05, 2014 at 09:19 AM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #6 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Start with the Strobist 101 and 102 courses which are free. The Strobist DVD's are wonderful as well. It's really educational to watch him work and talk through the process.
I've learned more in the last few months than I have in the last 10 years.

Apr 06, 2014 at 03:10 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #7 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

The strobist dvd is good. So is the Zach Arias dvd.

Apr 06, 2014 at 03:51 AM
Milosh

p.1 #8 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Joe McNally books and DVDs are great. Especially The Language of Light (2 DVD set).

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #9 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

I 2nd David Hobby. He has set of DVD's out that are outstanding IMHO. This is on speed lights, modifiers, etc.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:30 PM
ugdog
• •
p.1 #10 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

I'd suggest buying one light and a soft box or umbrella, and start experimenting with that. It can be an 'on camera' flash or an independent head. There are solo many good youtube videos to help you get started. Keep it simple to start.

dan

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #11 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Speaking of books, here is an Amazon List I had created some time ago of the books I think I have learned most from:
http://amzn.com/lm/R2JBDPO8BSCFF2

Books 1,2,7,15,16, and 17 are Bryan Peterson's books that I have read. I enjoyed reading them all.

As for lighting in particular, Books #6 to #12 are the ones I have read, and would recommend. Among these, I would say #6 is a must read, IMO.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #12 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Just to reflect a bit on my previous post above, if I could go back in time and tell myself how to get on the road to mastering light, I'd have me dive whole hardheartedly into the Strobist Lighting 101 and 102 pages where he breaks all of the concepts up into little teachable nuggets and reenforces it with an assignment. Then his DVDs. Then the Joe McNally book, The Moment It Clicks, as others have suggested.
As a side note, I thumbed through Joe's book once and didn't have the background to really understand it. Now I'm in WOW mode.
BTW, the Strobist videos are on Lynda.com and you can watch them there.
Now I'd have all of the building blocks and could start "not thinking" about the technical stuff and focus on making great images.

May 15, 2014 at 01:47 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #13 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

I thought I'd offer one more resource for you to learn about lighting. I put up a blog that is basically my lighting notebook. See the Behind The Scenes section for examples and setup details. I hope you find it useful!
http://www.lightwith.me

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:08 PM
diamondsdr47
• •
p.1 #14 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Dean Collins videos available on YouTube-great old school, there is great stuff on creative live website, start with something then move to "next" then most likely you will have on idea what do you want to see or create or whatever you like...

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:48 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #15 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

diamondsdr47 wrote:
Dean Collins videos available on YouTube-great old school, there is great stuff on creative live website, start with something then move to "next" then most likely you will have on idea what do you want to see or create or whatever you like...

Great reference, too! In fact, I just bought two Lindsay Adler courses from creativelive this morning.

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:51 PM
diamondsdr47
• •
p.1 #16 · Mastering lighting - is there a good progression?

Yes I've seen her course on CL, great stuff, also recently I saw lighting challenge natural vs studio with sue-bryce-and-felix-kunze pretty cool, as well there is on YouTube videos by Joel Grimes you might find interesting, check Joey L blog, but most important keep practicing and experimenting...

Jun 02, 2014 at 02:44 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password