New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · studio lighting issue

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · studio lighting issue

I tried a little different lighting technique on a recent studio session. The background is seamless white paper with no lighting directly on it.

The main light is about 45 on camera left about 10 feet from the background. I use this one light setup quite often and have great results with just a little controlled spill onto the background.

This time I wanted to try a second light on the right and behind the subject to provide some rim/hair lighting. It is camera right, a few feet behind and high up pointing down on the subject reflected into a small octa-umbrella. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pull back shot - my bad.

Notice the angled line across the background... I know this is related to the additional camera right light, but i can't figure out why it is lighter on the left than on the right. Can someone tell me why the line in the background is at this angle and why it is so defined?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37772003@N07/13466307504/

Thanks

B

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:07 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · studio lighting issue

I don't know why the photo is not displaying.. something has changed with flikr.. this used to work perfectly. Any advice on how to get Flikr photos to display in the forum again?

B

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:09 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · studio lighting issue

I would guess the background paper is protruding a bit on an angle and catching the light from your kicker? Also your kicker is too far to the front cuz it's catching too much of the subjects face and messing up shadows on his face. If you want it as a rim light it should be behind the subject. A hair light would be helpful also. You could do rimlight/hairlight in one by raising a strobe/flash high above subject to the back and to the right a bit. have it about 1-2 stops brighter than main.

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:37 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · studio lighting issue

It looks like the backlight is spilling over the umbrella. Try pushing the umbrella a little closer to the flash or add a more narrow reflector or use a grid instead of an umbrella.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · studio lighting issue

Nod. That all makes sense. I need to get some grids for my lights. I have softboxes and umbrellas, but no grids. Thank you.

B

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · studio lighting issue

Blutch, I wouldn't use an umbrella for rim/hair/kicker because it's so hard to control. What lights are you using (strobes or speedlights)?

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:34 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · studio lighting issue

Strobes. White Lightening X800's. It was an experiment. I just don't have any other modifiers. I do have a beauty dish. That's probably, worse, eh?

B

Mar 28, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · studio lighting issue

A beauty dish close for a rim light would not be worse if you feather it properly. However, you might have a tough time lowering the power enough. You could do that inexpensively with ND gels or using a ND filter on your lens. You might also try making your own snoot with tin foil for the rim.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · studio lighting issue

blutch wrote:
Strobes. White Lightening X800's. It was an experiment. I just don't have any other modifiers. I do have a beauty dish. That's probably, worse, eh?

B

A beauty dish might work, but you can get a cheapo snoot with a grid that could make your life easier

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:17 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · studio lighting issue

For hair light and some rim, a small softbox w/grid is popular. I'm personal smitten with pancake lanterns for this purpose: smooth light, and you can easily control where it goes. Lanterns are a pricier option, and you need a boom.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:41 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · studio lighting issue

I have a boom. Never heard of a pancake lantern but I'll look into it. THanks

B

Mar 29, 2014 at 07:39 AM
TMGraphics
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · studio lighting issue

What about getting a piece of cardboard or black posterboard, making a tube out of it and placing it over your hairlight? Might make a temp directional light until you get a grid.

T

Mar 29, 2014 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.