New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

ytxchen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

I'm planning on selling some of my photo gears. Usually I do it on ebay, but I'm tired of the 10%+ selling fees. People have recommended me FM is a good site for selling gears, but i'm not sure about the procedure.I've been reading posts on FM for a while and I really like this community. I'm considering to do my future gear trade/selling/buying on FM.

Since it's my first time selling on FM, and i have not established my record, I want to play it safe and use paypal to to receive payment. However after a bit of research i'm even more confused. Which payment method is generally used at FM? Request money or invoice? and what is the usual procedure? should I request money first and make the shipment after i receive the payment? This seems little unfair to the buyers since I'm getting the money before the get the item. Or paypal is going to hold the money til buyer receive the item?

Experienced sellers please help. And maybe a brief procedure for selling gears. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Guidelines:

Buy and sell at your own risk.
Please take the time to read the site's User Agreement and Terms & Privacy.
Always check references first before any transaction. The number of posts and positive Feedback do not guarantee a secure transaction. Members should only use INSURED payment methods. Be aware of transactions coming from WTB (Want to Buy) threads whenever the interested party conducts all communications through PM or Email.
Posting on the Buy & Sell board is limited to Upload & Sell members only. As an Upload & Sell member, you will be able to start New Topics as: FS (For sale), FT (For trade), WTB (Want to buy) or OA (Outside auction) - Upload & Sell members are also allowed to upload images to their listings. If you would like to became an Upload & Sell member, click here.
As a FM member (Not a Upload & Sell member), you can only "reply" to topics on the Buy and Sell boards. Therefore if you are not a Upload & Sell member, you can only buy items. (cannot sell)

Rules:

FM members are not allowed to list items for sale in their signature.
You can only start a "New Topic" every 8 hours. You may sell more than one item by combining them on your listing.
You may "Bump" your listing thread every 12 hours: Either by replying to your own thread or by clicking on the "Bump" button.
Threads cannot be "Bumpped" after 2 months from the original listing date. At that point, you may need to start a new thread.
You must mark your "Item(s) as sold" when the transaction is finalized.
Replies cannot be used to sell items. Only "First Posts" can be used to list an item for sale.
Commercial sales are not allowed. The Buy and Sell board is dedicated to photographers selling their 'own personal' items. The board moderator will evaluate every 'suspect' listing and decide if it's commercial or not.
Running auctions is not allowed. You MUST include a listing price for the item(s) being sold. Auction threads will be deleted. However, as a Upload & Sell member, you are allowed to post your "OA (Outside Auction) link on a new post referencing to an outside auction site.
These boards are moderated. We reserve the right to immediately remove posts that are suspected to be fraudulent. Any member who makes a fraudulent sale/purchase will be banned from this site without further notice.

FAQ:

Can I list an outside auction if I'm a Upload & Sell member?
We don't have a system in place for "running" auctions. That is why this board does not allow people auctioning items. All items MUST have a price. However, if you would like to reference an outside auction that you have already started, (Like Ebay, Yahoo, etc...) you may do so by referencing "OA" in the subject line.
How do I report a thread?
To report a thread, click on the "Report" button.
Can I post my concerns regarding the seller's price on a listing price?
If you don't agree with an item's price, or if you know a place where the same item is being sold for less, do NOT interfere or post your opinion/prices on the thread in question. The seller may not know what the "politically correct" price. Members posting prices or being hostile to the seller's threads will be warned or even have their accounts locked.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

First, welcome to FM. Start participating in the forums of your interest (not with just 2 word comments), post the required number of posts, participate for the required timeframe, and buy your B&S membership.

Complete your profile with your city and state and list your equipment. Indicate your interests.

When you offer your gear for sale, price it appropriately including PayPal fees, shipping with signature confirmation, and insurance, not some net fee to you approach. If you have feedback from other sites, indicate it. Be prepared to have to ship first since you have no feedback. Listing your real name, phone number and email goes a long way toward establishing trust even if done in a PM.

Again, welcome to FM.

Cheers
Jim

Mar 28, 2014 at 04:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Welcome to FM.

Wobble wrote:
...Be prepared to have to ship first since you have no feedback...

I would never ship before receiving payment, unless I knew the buyer.

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:42 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

A store receives your money before you get the item. Why would it be any different here?

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:47 PM
ytxchen

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:55 AM
ytxchen

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Wobble wrote:
...Be prepared to have to ship first since you have no feedback. Listing your real name, phone number and email goes a long way toward establishing trust even if done in a PM. ...

Hi Jim,

I'm unsure about that. This seems unsafe to me. IMHO the seller should never ship first before receiving the payment or have a confirmation of payment. If I ship first, how can I make sure the buyer is going to pay?

thanks again for your answer.

Yutong

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Yeah, it is all about trust. But certainly payment first.

Mar 31, 2014 at 01:15 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

The trust has been earned by the member with positive feedback. The 'newbie' still needs to earn the trust. Not always is payment first the right priority IMHO. This is how so many scammers have gotten money from good members here, they take the money and don't deliver the goods!

Go with your smartest instinct, ask lots of questions and don't except anything other than the correct answers.

Karl

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:39 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

jcolwell wrote:
Welcome to FM.

I would never ship before receiving payment, unless I knew the buyer.

+1000... As a seller I had "established" members promise to pay the difference for 2nd day shipping and they vanished after receiving the item, this happened twice. I had a member with over 150 positive feedbacks scam me for a Nikon D600.

Bottom line, positive feedback simply means a higher probability of a smooth transaction but it's only an indication not a fact.

Welcome to FM!

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:07 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Times they are a changing... I may be fantasizing, but I do recall the time when having a good reputation meant something real. I've done a number of transactions on both the buying and selling side in which items listed at over a thousand dollars were shipped on the PROMISE of a personal check. Would I do that with someone new to the site who hasn't demonstrated their trustworthiness? Absolutely not. Would I consider feedback on the Buy and Sell board without considering how the person presents him or herself elsewhere on the site? Absolutely not. I cut slack with folks who've not only showed up on deals, but who've made an investment in this website. I send things to cyber friends so they can try then out all the time. They can send me a check to buy the item or return it with a ten dollar bill to cover my postage.

The Buy and Sell board is a nice addition to what is a great photography website. Frankly, I'm not much interested in folks for whom FM is ONLY a place to buy and sell gear.

Apr 04, 2014 at 06:05 PM
jha222

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

Learns so many from this thread. Thank you OP and all the replies.

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:18 PM
samcracc

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to sell gear on FM?? Please help

jha222 wrote:
Learns so many from this thread. Thank you OP and all the replies.

This is a great community to be a part of. You will like it very much!

Apr 08, 2014 at 05:56 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.