Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

Before committing to a 5D3 make sure you test the AF. The 7D, 70D, 5D3 and 1DX all have the newer 'black rectangle' AF point configuration, while your 1D3, the 1DIV and 6D use the older style 'red rectangle' AF.

I've just started using a 7D and find it's AF very good when light is good, but shooting at night, at evening events or in otherwise darkish situations it's not as easy to see AF points like my 40D or 1DMk2N. The newer AF takes some time to get use to; at least it has for me...from what I hear tho both the 5D3 and 1DX have fantastic AF.

Jerry

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Easy Money

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

5D3... Just because of the versatility and the ability to use it for almost anything. Not to mention Magic Lantern that can be added on later.

Mar 28, 2014 at 07:24 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

onesickpuppy wrote:
I had two MKIII's...and moved up to the two bodies you listed: 1DMKIV and the 5DMKIII

I'd suggest getting the MKIV....then save some coins, and sell the MKIII and get a clean used 5DMKIII
The MKIV has basically the same focus system your use to now...and then when you do make the addition of the
5DMKIII...your learning curve on the newer focus system won't derail you as fast.

You'll get awesome shots on the MKIV...even for your life style listings.....and then when you can swing the 5DMKIII....it will be a match made in heaven

^^+1 Sounds just about wright

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Adam612

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

For the purposes you're describing, the 5D3 is hands down the better camera. The ergonomics are different than a 1D body but are excellent (and you can always add a grip). The high ISO performance spanks the 1D4 and the image quality is significantly better in my opinion. The AF tracking for quickly moving subjects is better on the 1D4 and the frame rate is obviously faster but at 6 fps the 5D3 is no slouch and I personally prefer the 5D3/1DX AF system.

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned is the nearly silent shutter on the 5D3. If you're trying to be inconspicuous and allow events to unfold organically around you the loud slap of the 1D4 shutter is a huge disadvantage, as is the size. Since you'll be holding on to a 1D3 that you can use for action you're really not gaining much with the 1D4.

With the 1D4 you get:
-Faster frame rate
-Better AF tracking in some situations
-Spot metering tied to a selected AF point (besides the center point)
-A more durable camera

With the 5D3 you get:
-A nearly silent shutter
-Much better low-light performance
-A great AF system that's very easy to learn
-A better menu system
-Way better video features and quality
-Lighter weight and smaller size
-Native focal length on full frame for wider angles
-Overall better image quality (at least in my opinion)

I'm not trying to knock the 1D4, it's a great camera, especially in good light, but for your purposes I think the 5D3 is the obvious choice. That said, if you have the money and don't want to give up any features (except maybe a quiet shutter) then pick up a 1DX. Good luck!

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:15 PM
davinyc
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

I had a 5D2 and a 1D3. I bought a 5D3, sold the 5D2. A month later I sold the 1D3 when I compared the 5D3 files. So clean, noise free and sharp. It was a reluctant sale because I loved the 1D3 to hold and shoot with but the difference in image quality was stunning.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:43 PM
photoelle
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

I bought the 5D3 and immediately sold my 1DM4, because the file quality and AF are so much better. I kept my 1DM3 as a back up/fast action camera, but I rarely use it because the 5D3 has performed so well in every shooting situation I've used it for. I can highly recommend it.

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

AF on the 1DIII is streets ahead of the 5DII, too.

+2 I couldn't believe I read that. Certainly wasn't my experience with these 2 cameras.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:02 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

TractionAction wrote:
The next body will be used for portrait, event, landscape and perhaps a wedding or two.

For that intended use I would say it's easily a 5D3. If you didn't include events/weddings I'd say you could upgrade both bodies and go with a 6D/1D4 combo but I'd want the AF of the 5D3 for weddings. That is not a day you can afford to miss shots on and the quiet shutter is a real advantage.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:42 AM
TractionAction
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

Outstanding comments everyone and thank you all!

Once I sell one 1DIII, I'll be looking for the 5DIII.

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D Mark III or 1D Mark IV?

Kathy White wrote:
+2 I couldn't believe I read that. Certainly wasn't my experience with these 2 cameras.

Quite jealous. I was on the other side of the 1DIII debacle; owned 2 of them and the 2 5D2's I've owned since were way more consistent AF-wise. Now, the 5D3 is in a whole different league. I'm glad I picked one up and will be buying a second a.s.a.p.

Apr 03, 2014 at 02:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.