New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7th and Hill

TSLA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7th and Hill

Went for a stroll around downtown Los Angeles on an overcast day recently. There's something about downtown LA that draws me to it. As a result, I want to get better at cityscape photography. Here's my first offering. C&C, please.

Mar 27, 2014 at 07:33 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7th and Hill

I very much like the detailed, almost carefully sketched, illustrated look. Wish there was something in the sky, but the whites there do add the illustrated style, so not a strong negative in my book.
It looks like you payed close attention the distortion, with good control of the verticals, but still a sense of the middle top of the building leaning a bit forward. Or is it me?
At any rate, looks like a situation for a tilt-shift lens, or someone with better PS skills than I have to correct the residual, but generally well-controlled distortion.
Good choice as BW, BTW.
Scott

Mar 27, 2014 at 08:11 PM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7th and Hill

sbeme wrote:
I very much like the detailed, almost carefully sketched, illustrated look. Wish there was something in the sky, but the whites there do add the illustrated style, so not a strong negative in my book.
It looks like you payed close attention the distortion, with good control of the verticals, but still a sense of the middle top of the building leaning a bit forward. Or is it me?
At any rate, looks like a situation for a tilt-shift lens, or someone with better PS skills than I have to correct the residual, but generally well-controlled distortion.
Good choice as BW, BTW.
Scott

Thanks, Scott.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7th and Hill

I too really like your shot. It makes me slightly sad though; seeing such a grand looking building which seems to have fallen from grace a little.

Ed

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:27 AM
slookx24
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7th and Hill

Ed Swift wrote:
I too really like your shot. It makes me slightly sad though; seeing such a grand looking building which seems to have fallen from grace a little.

Ed

Pretty common in Downtown LA, unfortunately. Some areas are on the rise though.

Apr 02, 2014 at 12:46 AM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7th and Hill

Ed Swift wrote:

Ed

Thanks, Ed.

Downtown LA is littered with once-grand buildings. There's a mystique about many of those buildings, which is probably what draws me to that area.

Just a block east of Hill Street (where I took this picture) is Broadway. According to wikipedia, a six-block stretch on Broadway contained the highest concentration of cinemas in the world in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, all of them are merely a shell of what they once were. If you look hard enough, though, you can still see a glimpse of the aura they once possessed. My goal is to somehow capture that aura. Before I try to capture that aura, however, I need to learn how to take halfway decent cityscape photos.

Here's a photo of the Los Angeles Theater which I took on the same day of the original photo that I posted. On a side note: I didn't get as much of the theater in the photo as I should have (the theater is sandwiched between two other buildings and it doesn't really stand out as the focal point of the photo) since I was focused more on capturing the theater's "Los Angeles" sign. That said, I probably could have gotten a better picture with a different angle. In any case, C&C welcomed on this one, too.

Apr 06, 2014 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.