New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Ssteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Already picked up 16mm(with wide and fisheye converters), 30mm, and 60mm primes for my A6000 Im waiting on. Now Im looking for something 1.8 or faster in the 85-100mm range, and sub $250. I plan to just use manual focus on a basic adapter, but wanted to see what you guys recommended.

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

i'm afraid you're unlikely to be able to find an 85/1.8 that cheap (maybe a good deal on a takumar, nikkor, or canon FD 85/1.8). good 50/1.8 lenses can be found for $20, but 85-100mm lenses cost a lot more for that aperture.

i would recommend slowing it down a little and getting the nikkor 105/2.5 AIS (or AI), which should run around $150-$200 in good condition and is a stellar lens.

for a different look the russian jupiter-9 (85/2) is nice portrait lens that gets decently sharp stopped down. it's a knockoff of the old contax zeiss 85/2 with crappier build and poor (or non-existant) coatings.

if you are willing to go slower the c/y 85/2.8 and contax g 90/2.8 are excellent and compact lenses.

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Ssteve

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Perfect. I think you were assuming I was looking for a fast zoom. Just looking for a nice manual prime between 85mm and 100mm.. Although 105mm would be perfectly acceptable.

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:46 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Ssteve wrote:
I think you were assuming I was looking for a fast zoom.

nope, cheapest 85/1.8s typically run right around $250 (and aren't as good as the 105/2.5) and the cheapest ~100/1.8 (it's actually a 105/1.8) runs around $400 or more.

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:49 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

I think the Rokinon/Samyang etc 85/1.4 is about the only that will come close to meeting your requirements of faster than 1.8. Looks like used are right around $250 on ebay.

Mike

Mar 28, 2014 at 04:53 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Look for a non-AI version of the Nikkor 85/1.8, they can be had for your budget and are a lovely lens. You preferably want the multi-coated K or P.C version rather than the single-coated Nikkor-P. Note the AI-converted versions tend to run $300+

You can also find the Nikkor 85/2 AI-S right around the limit of your budget and it's a good little lens (and will balance better than the largish 85/1.8).

An outside option if you have an LA-EA type adapter is the Sony 85/2.8 SAM. Yes, it's slower, but it's also sharper wide open than most 85's ever get, very compact and can be had for $200 or so with a little hunting. It's a clone + improvement of the classic C/Y 85/2.8 Sonnar and also focuses down to 0.6m, a rarity for non-macro's at this focal length.

Mar 28, 2014 at 07:41 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

I'm loving my Pentax M 85mm f2 (K mount), absolutely tiny and a rendition which creams the EF 85mm 1.8 that I used for a decade as a wedding shooter. There may be a 1/3 stop aperture less wide open but the background is significantly smoother giving less apparent DOF. Dirt cheap too.

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:51 AM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Lots of good recommendations already.
I second the pre-AI Nikkor 85 1.8. If you don't mind the cosmetic condition you should easily find one within your budget. Also, the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 85 1.4 that was mentioned above.

If you don't mind to go a bit slower there will be many options.
As sebboh said, the the Nikkor 105 2.5 is stellar. The Bokina 90 2.5 Macro (either Tokina AT-x or Vivitar Series 1 version) has very pleasing bokeh and doubles as a macro lens. I've got an older version Leica Elmarit 90 2.8 (for Leicaflex SL) that is also great and should be only little more than $250.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

sebboh wrote:
nope, cheapest 85/1.8s typically run right around $250 (and aren't as good as the 105/2.5) and the cheapest ~100/1.8 (it's actually a 105/1.8) runs around $400 or more.

That's a bit strange, because here in Sweden lenses are typically much more expensive than in the US, and still various 85/1.8:s are usually very cheap. I bought a Nikkor-K 85/1.8 for less than $70 and it's pretty damn good.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:48 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Makten wrote:
That's a bit strange, because here in Sweden lenses are typically much more expensive than in the US, and still various 85/1.8:s are usually very cheap. I bought a Nikkor-K 85/1.8 for less than $70 and it's pretty damn good.

that is odd. i've always thought it was strange, but the nikkor and pentax 85/1.8s typically sell for more than a new samyang 85/1.4 here, which is a much sharper lens with smoother bokeh too (i totally forgot about it in my initial post). the samyang/rokinon is a fantastic portrait lens, it's main weaknesses are loCA, crappy build, and large size. i do sometimes find the bokeh boringly smooth too.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Makten wrote:

The Nikkor is often very cheap in non-AI form as most Nikon users can't use it (the only current body it's really usable on is the Df), sometimes you get lucky and find an AI-converted copy cheap as well.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

sebboh wrote:
that is odd. i've always thought it was strange, but the nikkor and pentax 85/1.8s typically sell for more than a new samyang 85/1.4 here, which is a much sharper lens with smoother bokeh too (i totally forgot about it in my initial post). the samyang/rokinon is a fantastic portrait lens, it's main weaknesses are loCA, crappy build, and large size. i do sometimes find the bokeh boringly smooth too.

The Pentax lenses are reasonably rare & collectable, so it maintain their value. Getting a Pentax 85 is an exercise in frustration & budgeting, like most really interesting Pentax lenses that aren't a 50/1.4.

There's 2.5 Nikkor 85/1.8's, the AF version maintains value for the obvious reason and the AI-converted one is known in the Nikon world as both the value king for manual focus Nikon 85's (it's better than the 85/2 and cheaper than the 85/1.4 AI-S) and something of a character lens as well (interesting rendering without getting funky) and of course there's a single-coated version if you want that old-school rendering.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

The nFD 85/1.8 can be had in good shooter condition for around $200. Like the 50/1.4, it's readily available, so the price hasn't shot up like it has on some of the less common FD lenses. It's center sharp wide open and the bokeh's okay- not distractingly funky but not really neutral or creamy. The fringing can be problematic at wide apertures, so watch your high-contrast areas. It needs a little distance (around 2M) before it really shows it strength, so if you like to use this focal length near MFD consistently, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. This one + adapter does have the benefit of being one of the smaller fast-85 options.

If you're really lucky, you'll be able to find a Minolta 85/2 in your budget. Sharp, no distortion, lovely colors, gentle focus transitions, decent bokeh, good throughout its focusing range, and relatively small for a Minolta lens. Fringing can still be an issue, but it's no worse than the Canon. I have the older 85/1.7 and love it but, if the f/2 had been as easy to convert to Alpha, I would've happily kept it instead. It's not the easiest lens to come by, so prices skew high, but I've seen them pop up sub-$300 over the past year. If you find one you can afford, I highly recommend snatching it up.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:22 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

sebboh wrote:

Probably some sort of cultural difference. F/1.8 lenses doesn't seem to interest people very much and therefore they are dirt cheap. At least 50 and 85 mm.

The Samyang is a very fine lens, but I can't say that it's "sharper" than the Nikkor. Higher local contrast, yes, but lower resolution and less "sparkle".
The Nikkor has some real funkiness going on in the corners, but should give very nice bokeh across the frame on APS-C.

Edit: I did the AI conversion myself, so it will of course be a little bit more expensive in the AI versions. Though, on a mirrorless camera, you don't need AI.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:55 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

freaklikeme wrote:
If you're really lucky, you'll be able to find a Minolta 85/2 in your budget. Sharp, no distortion, lovely colors, gentle focus transitions, decent bokeh, good throughout its focusing range, and relatively small for a Minolta lens. Fringing can still be an issue, but it's no worse than the Canon. I have the older 85/1.7 and love it but, if the f/2 had been as easy to convert to Alpha, I would've happily kept it instead. It's not the easiest lens to come by, so prices skew high, but I've seen them pop up sub-$300 over the past year. If
...Show more

i've been looking for one of those for under $300 forever and never finding one that wasn't fungusy or broken.

Makten wrote:
The Samyang is a very fine lens, but I can't say that it's "sharper" than the Nikkor. Higher local contrast, yes, but lower resolution and less "sparkle".
The Nikkor has some real funkiness going on in the corners, but should give very nice bokeh across the frame on APS-C.

i would definitely say the samyang is sharper at large aperture, perhaps not stopped down. my copy seems competitive with the latest greatest AF 85s from canikon at large aperture.

Mar 28, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

Lots of good options mentioned already. The late non-AI 85/1.8 is one of my favorite 85s -- really nice at wide stops. Bokeh can get a little weird from around f/4 to f/5.6, because the six-bladed aperture can give some geometric patterns that can be distracting, but apart from that it's lovely. The 85/2 Nikkor is smaller, but not quite as nice.

I also really like the Canon new FD (aka FDn) 85/1.8. It's considerably smaller than the Nikon 85/1.8, which is nice, and with the small adapter it's as compact as you can get in this focal length range without going to a rangefinder lens.

The Nikon 105/2.5 (AI or AIS) is lovely, too. The canon 100/2 is another option, and is fantastic (more $ most of the time, though).

For me, the size of the lens has a big influence on whether I will use it with the NEX. That's why the Canon FDn 85/1.8 gets the most use, even though I've got a couple of big, gorgeous f/1.4 85s.

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:30 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

sebboh wrote:
i've been looking for one of those for under $300 forever and never finding one that wasn't fungusy or broken.

If you're not picky about getting a pre-1981 model with the Rokkor designation, it can be found.

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:53 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

freaklikeme wrote:
If you're not picky about getting a pre-1981 model with the Rokkor designation, it can be found.

i actually like the post rokkor labeling ones better stylistically. also they're lighter weight (in exchange for being more plasticky) and may possibly have better coatings.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

sebboh wrote:
i actually like the post rokkor labeling ones better stylistically. also they're lighter weight (in exchange for being more plasticky) and may possibly have better coatings.

Better in what way do you think? I hadn't noticed much color difference between my Rokkors and post-Rokkors.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · e mount adapted lens recommendations needed

freaklikeme wrote:
Better in what way do you think? I hadn't noticed much color difference between my Rokkors and post-Rokkors.

i've never had a lens pair i could compare. but i've heard that minolta was continuing to improve it's coatings with time so that later ones should be marginally better. whether that's actually true i have no way to check.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:25 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.