New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How does ALO work?

drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How does ALO work?

How does Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer work? Does it affect RAW images just the same as JPGs? When it makes the adjustment in the RAW is it flattened into the file (irreversible) and does lightroom 5 read the setting?

Mar 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How does ALO work?

deleted

Edited on Mar 29, 2014 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2014 at 04:40 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How does ALO work?

Some binary algorithm that makes my 17-40L sharper. Plug-in only works in RAW with DPP: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/9422391469_a4631cf3d8_k.jpg

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:26 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How does ALO work?

mttran wrote:
Some binary algorithm that makes my 17-40L sharper. Plug-in only works in RAW with DPP: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/9422391469_a4631cf3d8_k.jpg

That's DLO isn't it? The Digital Lens Optimiser. The ALO is the Auto Lighting Optimiser

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:24 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How does ALO work?

dhphoto wrote:
That's DLO isn't it? The Digital Lens Optimiser. The ALO is the Auto Lighting Optimiser

Thank you David for your correction. Lol, I am getting old now....

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How does ALO work?

mttran wrote:
Thank you David for your correction. Lol, I am getting old now....

It's terribly confusing. I was hoping one could DLO ones' shots in DPP, save them and then process the RAW file in LR but you can't and DLO takes ages on each file on my pc too, but the results (as Rob Dickinson and your example show) are quite impressive.

ALO is just anti-vignetting and some contrast control I think, much less complex.

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How does ALO work?

Watch this:
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/videos/tutorials/dpp/auto_lighting_optimizer.shtml

The ALO affects all jpgs, but only affects RAW in DPP, not other PP software.

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:30 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How does ALO work?

You could use DLO and then convert and save as a TIFF. Import TIFF into LR or PS.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:48 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How does ALO work?

It is not permanently altering the raw, dpp allows you to turn that off. Take any raw and flip the check box to see its effects.

Mar 30, 2014 at 05:23 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How does ALO work?

TeamSpeed wrote:
It is not permanently altering the raw, dpp allows you to turn that off. Take any raw and flip the check box to see its effects.

DLO does alter the RAW file, ALO doesn't.

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:15 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How does ALO work?

TeamSpeed wrote:

dhphoto wrote:
DLO does alter the RAW file, ALO doesn't.

Well, it adds a copy of the DLO-processed image that approximately doubles the RAW file size. However, the original RAW data is still there and the DLO can be turned off in DPP again, resulting in an approximately original RAW file size.

EBH

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:55 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How does ALO work?

dhphoto wrote:
I was hoping one could DLO ones' shots in DPP, save them and then process the RAW file in LR but you can't.....

That was a disappointment to me also.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How does ALO work?

It would interesting to compare ALO with LR's auto-develop. There may be similarity.

I sense the ALO was intend for the jpg shooter who desired rapid in-camera turn around. I doubt ALO was developed for people who would visit multiple pieces of software with RAW or TIF files. If you are willing to do that, you may not need or want an ALO algorithm.

John Caldwell

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How does ALO work?

I think ALO was very much intended for the JPG shooter - when you open a RAW file in DPP you have to deselect ALO if you want to remove its effects from the preview image - and when I do this you can see shadow/highlight/tone curves change... Sometimes the ALO version looks pretty darn good - other times I leave it off and proceed through my little DPP ritual...

At times I wish Canon would just give me a true RAW image to work with - at other times I appreciate seeing the effects of LAC/ALO/NR dialed-in as Canon has devised them...

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How does ALO work?

As a Raw shooter, the only interest I have with ALO is to estimate the final rendering of the photo at shooting time. And thus adapt my shoot parameters. Otherwise I think the histogram is way more efficient.

As a Lr user, I have not seen any interest in DLO : this latter will double the size of the CR2 file, with more or less the same results one would have with Lr's sharpening. I was very interested in DLO, but alas I was a bit disappointed. From time to time I recheck it (last time was yesterday) but I've not seen a sample that would convince me to uninstall Lr!

My 2% CPU :')

Apr 01, 2014 at 08:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.